Dislike

Options
So, I truly dislike having to "exercise." I think because when I was younger my parents never worked out (of course they too have struggled with being overweight for years.) I never learned to make exercise a regular part of my routine. Now, at 30 years old, it is a constant battle for me to put exercise into my daily regimen. I like to eat, so obviously I need to put exercise in there. I just don't know how to get that motivation and keep on top of it. It's even worse because my schedule right now is not set, it's still fluctuating quite a bit trying to find a full time job and working part time as both a dental hygienist (weekdays) and waitress (weekend evenings)I guess, like any other thing, one day at a time, 14 days to make a habit.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,628 Member
    Options
    So, I truly dislike having to "exercise." I think because when I was younger my parents never worked out (of course they too have struggled with being overweight for years.) I never learned to make exercise a regular part of my routine. Now, at 30 years old, it is a constant battle for me to put exercise into my daily regimen. I like to eat, so obviously I need to put exercise in there. I just don't know how to get that motivation and keep on top of it. It's even worse because my schedule right now is not set, it's still fluctuating quite a bit trying to find a full time job and working part time as both a dental hygienist (weekdays) and waitress (weekend evenings)I guess, like any other thing, one day at a time, 14 days to make a habit.
    I would say 21 days to make a habit. Start small. The clients I've worked with who hated exercise learned to accept it as a lifestyle when we added or changed exercises to keep the interest going. Start with one or two exercises and increase every other week.
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I agree with starting small. Try to take a walk around the block every other day and try to work up to every day or add a block. Just getting up and starting is the first step. You can do it!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Find something you would like to do. Something fun. Go for a bike ride, go for a walk somewhere pretty (not always possible I know), go rollerblading, go to a gym and find a class you would have fun doing, get a dance workout DVD and dance in your living room. Don't think of it in negative terms like "I have to exercise:grumble: ", think of it as "I get to do......later". And I've heard it's 17 times to change a habit!
  • awkwwward
    Options
    Stop looking at it as "exercise" or something you "have" to do. Find something you like or even love to do. There are SO many types of ways to work out - from yoga to walking to swimming to hiking to swinging at the playground to volleyball to tennis to dancing and so much more. With all the different "things" out there to do, there's something you like doing. It might take you a while to find but it is out there. Do THAT as your work out - it's the best motivation there is.
  • agugino
    agugino Posts: 119
    Options
    woops. yeah. 21 days. :)
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I agree w/ the other posts here find something you like to do that is active, and do it often.. I also do not like exercising... and I wish I could blame my parents.. but my mom never worked out, but all my brothers are very active and very athletic, I am the only sibling who has been obese and I only blame myself. (and stinkin dollar menus.... lol)
  • ans312
    Options
    Hi agugino! I can totally relate... Growing up, I wasn't really taught the virtues of exercise. I love being active (especially outdoors), but have never really enjoyed going to the gym. Since turning 30, it's been really difficult to keep my weight under control. And I love food! I know I need to go to the gym, but it can be difficult after a long, stressful day to get motivated. I would much rather sit on my couch and eat some ice cream! A friend of mine recently said, "Nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels." So I'm making that my mantra. Good luck to you! And congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    When you love an activity that also happens to be great exercise, it's not hard to make yourself do it! I've been rock and ice climbing for 20 years - excellent workouts and I would do it all day, every day if I could! Find a physical activity that actualizes you and go for it! Good luck.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Exactly - STOP LOOKING AT IT AS EXERCISE. Find things you LIKE to do - anything that gets in movement. I am like you and hate to exercise. I DO, however, LOVE to ride my bike and swim and participate in 5k walks. I also like playing Wii games that get ya moving. PLAY and STOP exercising!!
  • rabbit99_47203
    Options
    Same here, I never seen my parents do anything active except when they had to because they were trying to lose weight. And growing up I saw them and said I would never let myself get that way, but guess what, I did. lol. We have to find something fun to get us active that doesn't feel like an exercise. Doing the pedometer challenge I think will be a great commitment! It will be fun and get us up and moving. When I was in college with bryan we went roller blading everyday like 3-5 miles and never thought it was exercise it was just fun! I've been thinking about going to the skate rink across the street, but it was more fun going around town. Maybe we can find some more interactive activities that we can do. Doing things with a friend does make it better. And if all we have is an internet connection at the time it's better than nothing. We are going to make this a 21 day challenge. Got to make the commitment and promise to ourselves and we will get there!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I always like exercise better AFTER I've done it. :tongue: It is hard to make it a daily habit, especially when you don't have a constant schedule where you can plug in exercise at the same time (or nearly so) every day. How about early morning? I know it's a drag getting up extra early to do it, but for me, if I don't get it done before my kid goes to school, it doesn't happen. Getting tougher to get up early because it's so dark at 6am now! But I keep at it.

I lay my workout clothes out the night before, on my computer chair! Can't miss them. :laugh: And if you get a workout DVD like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30 - those workouts will take you 25-30 minutes from warm up to cool down, so it's not a huge chunk of time, but if you stick with it, you will get great results.
  • missdune
    missdune Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Walking is the easiest and the most flexible (just you and where you are!) and I agree with start small. The days I really don't want to I tell myself, "Ok, you only have to 10 minutes then you can stop." I never stop. By the time I'm doing it...I'm over the hurdle. :)