need a new veggie side dish

Options
2»

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Use a green leafy veggie (like kale or swiss chard) and make pesto. Put the raw leaves into a food processor with a tiny bit of cheese, a few nuts and a drizzle of olive oil. So good on chicken, veggies and pasta.
  • Carrie_D
    Options
    Try grilling them when you grill your chicken. I love grilled zucchini, eggplant, brussel sprouts, and asparagus. I slice the zucchini and eggplant lengthwise into thin slices and just spray them with either olive oil or sometimes I just use Pam and season with either your favorite Mrs. Dash or onion powder and garlic powder. Could even season with just a little salt and pepper. Very yummy! You just gotta keep a close eye on the zucchini and eggplant so they don't burn. I usually cut my sprouts in half because I like them to have a crispier outside.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    We are having grilled chicken tonight with acorn squash, grilled asparagus (the rest of the family gets theirs bacon wrapped), side of cottage cheese with fresh tomatos and grilled artichokes topped with salsa. Everyone had a bunch of great ideas on here!
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Roasted vegetables are delicious and easy. Quarter or cube them, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake from 30 to 45 minutes in the oven. Tonight, I'm going with fingerling potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips and carrots - kind of a root veggie bonanza.

Can I come over?? :) This sounds delicious!
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I cut up 3 sweet potatoes and 1 regular potatoe in chunks after I peeled them, drizzled a little oil over them and then sprinkled kroger brand zesty italian salt free seasoning (like mrs dash) tossed them around in my casserole dish and cooked them at 350 for 1 hour and they were so yummmmmmy!! Had that as my side last night. Enjoy :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I am adoring our BBQ's vegetables, we love them so much we are eating them about 5 days a week!

150g green peppers
    1 tsp evoo
    50g onions
    150g zucchini
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    Fresh ground black pepper

Dice vegetables, toss with evoo and spices then place in a BBQ basked and grill.

Soooo delicious!!

Only 60 cals per serving (serves 2)
  • carolsaladbar
    Options
    WOW-thank you for the website, looks pretty yummy :-) :smile:
  • Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    KALE! Kale is my favorite.
    I cut out the big stems and sautee the leaves with onion, little olive oil, garlic, and add a little pinch of cayenne pepper. Unlike spinach, kale doesn't wilt immediately so it's way easier to cook and it is incredibly good for you.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of my usual line up -- broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, asparagus, brussel sprouts, green beans, corn. Or at least how I'm preparing them - which is just plain steamed. Have any new ideas for me? I need something different to go with my grilled chicken tonight. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

My husband does not eat very many vegetables, but I made this recipe ( I used coconut oil instead of canola oil) and he absolutely loved it.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Yellow-Squash-and-Peppers

Ingredients
    3 cups sliced yellow summer squash
    1/2 cup sliced onion
    1/2 cup each julienned green and sweet red peppers
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1/4 cup water
    1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions
    In a large skillet, saute the squash, onion and peppers in oil for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to medium.
    Cook, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 62 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    The inevitable double post.
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Bump! I need some new ideas too!
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Sauteed greens!

I use collards, or kale. I chop up an onion or garlic and saute in EVOO, then when they are cooked toss in the greens and cook til wilted. Then add in a cup of chicken or vegatable stock and simmer for 15 minutes. Love them!!
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I also make a kale salad that is tasty

Raw Kale Salad with Almonds and Cranberries

Ingredients:
    1 large bunch curly green kale, stems removed and sliced into thin ribbons
    1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/2 cup red grape or cherry tomatoes sliced in halves
    3 T. olive oil
    3 T. lemon juice
    1 T. honey
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Massage kale for 1-2 minutes

In a large bowl, combine the kale, almonds, cranberries, and sliced grape or cherry tomatoes

In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and salt and pepper, to taste.

Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.

Place the salad in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes or until ready to serve.