Is it OK to keep running with shin splints?

Options
I am doing the c25k and just started it last week. I really like it and it is giving me a good workout. However, after the last time, I have developed a good amount of pain in my shins. I am messaging them some, and doing some stretching, but is OK to keep up the program while I am suffering with these shin splints? I don't want to lose progress, but don't want to injure myself either.

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I am doing the c25k and just started it last week. I really like it and it is giving me a good workout. However, after the last time, I have developed a good amount of pain in my shins. I am messaging them some, and doing some stretching, but is OK to keep up the program while I am suffering with these shin splints? I don't want to lose progress, but don't want to injure myself either.

ice them and stay off them. take some ibuprofen, and keep icing them. rest, and ice them. when they go away, you can restart C25k. if you do this, you'll be fine in a day or two. if you push through, this progress you've made can be pushed back by a much longer healing time. you don't know what other parts of you you could injure because of these things.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you have the right kind of shoes for your feet, if you haven't already. Poor-fitting or worn-out shoes will make shin splints more likely.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    yes and no. If you push them too much they can lead to stress fractures, but there are a few things to help get around them. Check out the link in my signature about Shin Splints.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options

ice them and stay off them. take some ibuprofen, and keep icing them. rest, and ice them. when they go away, you can restart C25k. if you do this, you'll be fine in a day or two. if you push through, this progress you've made can be pushed back by a much longer healing time. you don't know what other parts of you you could injure because of these things.

Yep - this is the way to go. If you rest now and address, you'll be back running soon.
  • 19amanda84
    Options
    Also you can wrap your shins in Ace bandages. It helps to apply pressure and support..
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store (not a sporting goods store) and get fitted. Yes, they may be $100 and yes you might just have bought a brand new pair...but proper running shoes will save you a lot of pain and money (Physical Therapy, etc) in the long run.

Otherwise ice them. I run through shin splints, but I don't have them run after run. Stretching your legs is so important, and make sure you ice your lower legs down after runs!
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    I've done both (ran through the pain and rested) and I would recommend resting. You'll recover a lot faster. Also, I would agree with the above comments. The biggest thing for me was getting good shoes (or running barefoot if the terrain allows) and making sure I stretched before and after the run. Best of luck to you!
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I second or third the importance of running shoes.

I suffered miserably from shin splints, no matter what I tried to stretch out. I would ice them, rest them, always came back. I FINALLY went to a real shoe store, the identified immediately that I was overpronating. Gave me 3 recommendations for shoes, all a different price point. I chose the middle price ($100) and it changed me life. I think I have had shin splints once since buying them, and that was during the first week of C25k. I am now on week 6, no issues.

Just do it, go to a running store and upgrade your shoes.
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I second or third the importance of running shoes.

I suffered miserably from shin splints, no matter what I tried to stretch out. I would ice them, rest them, always came back. I FINALLY went to a real shoe store, the identified immediately that I was overpronating. Gave me 3 recommendations for shoes, all a different price point. I chose the middle price ($100) and it changed me life. I think I have had shin splints once since buying them, and that was during the first week of C25k. I am now on week 6, no issues.

Just do it, go to a running store and upgrade your shoes.
  • luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you dont have good running shoes from a store where they fit you, I would go do that first the right shoe makes all the difference when i get shin splints I know its time to get new shoes asap, if you keep running with shin splints it can lead to stress fractures and then you will have to take even more time off, I hope you can get it fiqured out, I hate running with pain!!