Weight training

Options
Hi All

I have been training at my home gym for about 2 weeks i work out for a total of 8...I make sure it burns when i do train...I try to exercise as much as i can as well. I walk alot. I am wondering since i can't exercise that much but i do train is that enough to take some weight off....

I am getting a very old stationary bike this winter ( it is very old) and plan on starting at 10 min then work my way up. But for now is the walking and training enough i mean i do stay under my calorie goals....

Any input would be nice

Replies

• janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    weight training does wonders for toning, for changing your body-shape for the best in a pretty short time and for maintaining/increasing your muscle mass. even if it does not bursn as many calories as cardio does, muscle burns more calories, so, increasing the percentage will increase your metabolism and it will help you lose more fat and keep it off.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Weight training + cardio + controlling your diet is a tried and true path to success. But you didn't say what sort of weight training you're doing. Generally, you should be lifting HEAVY, and hitting all the major muscle groups (you can split this over 2 or more days).
  • lynzyn
    lynzyn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So as soon as is stops burning increase the repetitions?

Cause i don't want hefty muscles so i don't want to increase the weights too much maybe 2-5 pounds
  • lynzyn
    Options
    Lifting heavy isn't good is what i am told over and over again just do the weight that u can and have more repetitions rather than more weights i wanna tone and change my body not make it grow!!!

I do upper body one day and lower body the next and i train for about 1/2 hour each time i make sure i take my time and do it properly

Sometimes i train for more than 1/2 hour i wanna make sure i hit those muscles i wanna do....I don't have much at home but what i do have is time and patience
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy isn't good is what i am told over and over again just do the weight that u can and have more repetitions rather than more weights i wanna tone and change my body not make it grow!!!

You've been told wrong. You're not going to bulk up unless you make it your life's mission to bulk up, and even then it will be incredibly difficult to accomplish. Lift heavy, no more than 12 reps. If you can do more than 12 it's too light.

Have a look at this thread and video
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/328354-women-strength-training-for-real
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You don't have the testosterone to get "hefty" -lifting heavier weights, the heaviest you can do for 10-12 reps, will push your muscles to do more and build strength. Lifting small weights repeatedly just increases your muscle endurance. There are people on here who can be more specific about why heavier weight should be your goal.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's a bunch of old-school nonsense basically. In order for muscles to grow in the manner this person is telling you requires a semi-extreme consumption of calories, which if you're trying to lose weight you're definitely not doing and you're in no danger of looking like Amazon woman. :)

If you're trying to keep it simple then start with a weight that you can do a max of 10 times and then work on doing a total of 40 reps within 4 sets. The goal being set 1 = 10 reps, set 2 = 10 reps, set 3 = 10 reps, and set 4 = 10 reps. There are many many different methods for lifting and you can do a google search for many of them.
  • lynzyn
    Options
    I do about 12-15 reps and it burns when it stops to burn i increase the weight but i am not there yet!!! I also use my own body against myself with the Ball and do exercises with that....
  • lynzyn
    Options

Yeah, that's a bunch of old-school nonsense basically. In order for muscles to grow in the manner this person is telling you requires a semi-extreme consumption of calories, which if you're trying to lose weight you're definitely not doing and you're in no danger of looking like Amazon woman. :)

If you're trying to keep it simple then start with a weight that you can do a max of 10 times and then work on doing a total of 40 reps within 4 sets. The goal being set 1 = 10 reps, set 2 = 10 reps, set 3 = 10 reps, and set 4 = 10 reps. There are many many different methods for lifting and you can do a google search for many of them.

Right now i do 3 sets of about 12-18 reps....So i should change that to 4 sets of 10-15? Wow when i was hitting the gym a couple years back they told me 3 sets of 12-15 so maybe i should change it up then? Hum maybe i will....
  • Nickstery
    Nickstery Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You can definitely change it up. You can even try to max out and do 5 reps if you can of the heaviest weight that you can lift. Keep in mind this will not cause you to grow buldging biceps like the Ex-Govenator it will give you added strength and allow you to lift more then what you are use to.
  • JNick77
    Options

Right now i do 3 sets of about 12-18 reps....So i should change that to 4 sets of 10-15? Wow when i was hitting the gym a couple years back they told me 3 sets of 12-15 so maybe i should change it up then? Hum maybe i will....

No. Since you don't sound like you have a ton of equipment and options I would do 4 sets of 8-10, that's what you want to shoot for. Now, if you are going to a gym you may want to Google, Stronglifts 5x5 or Westside for Skinny *kitten* (pretty basic still) and try one of those methods. For most lifts doing 3 sets of 12-15 reps is of little value. Maybe doing those for rear deltoids, calves, certain bicep curls perhaps but in general not really.
  • lynzyn
    Options
    i will be starting up a new routine next week doing what i am doing adding 2-5 lbs and an extra set.....I don't have much at home i have a set of dumbbells 5 lbs 2 kettle bells at about 8lbs i think and ankle weights at 2 lbs and a ball and the elastic band thingy with handles on it.....

I will add the ankle weight to my wrists and use the dumbbells for upper body and add the ankle weights for when i do my lower body.....I tried last nite a bit to do reverse sit ups with my ankle weight MAN did that flipping burn after 8 reps....

Ok so i will add an extra set and add a bit of weight and take it from there .....Thanks everyone i appreciate it so much..I was wondering why i wasn't getting the results i wanted..I was getting them but now maybe i will get more....
  • tangal88
    Options
    Just to add. I am female, 5'2", and lift heavier weights with low reps. Believe me, I am not bulky. :) Thats the only way for me to get 'tight" and sleek, and get the creased abs I want. (along with lower body fat)

The lowest weight I use is about 15 lb, going upto 45lbs. 8-10 reps. Work up as you can, at your speed. I just buy one dumbbell weight set at a time, as needed.

Low weights, many reps, did very little for me, and was very frustrating. I was thinner, but not really tight enough.

This was posted by another poster, but is a perfect example of the same girl doing cardio only, vs heavy weights. (much heavier then I do). Her body looks different.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

When doing heavy weights, she scale weighs MORE then her cardio only days, but looks much tighter leaner, and strong - not bulky. And she is a smaller size as well.

This is similar to my experience as well. When I move into low reps, heavy weights, I am much smaller in clothing size, and tighter all over. Not big, or bulky. I weigh more, but look smaller all over. Not muscley

Bulky is fat, get rid of the fat, build the muscle up, and you will see tight muscle.

Unless you get to an extremely low low body weight, you are not going to look like a female body builder. (an that is NOT easy to maintain). Thats 8, 9 11% range. See these pic for examples. The most extreme also use steroids to allow them to have that look, as a womens body can't get there easily.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

This is also often posted on this site, the Ladies that lift heavy, and look like Model Covergirls. Just very toned and attractive. They do seem to have some arm bulk in some angles, but much of that is also probably due to post workout muscle pump. I get that some to for a short time.That usually goes away in an hour. But if you ever feel you are to "big" just ease up on your weight load abit, and in a couple weeks that muscle with change for you. Its a simple fix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4g8rvQVZa0&NR=1
  • JNick77
    Options
    i will be starting up a new routine next week doing what i am doing adding 2-5 lbs and an extra set.....I don't have much at home i have a set of dumbbells 5 lbs 2 kettle bells at about 8lbs i think and ankle weights at 2 lbs and a ball and the elastic band thingy with handles on it.....

I will add the ankle weight to my wrists and use the dumbbells for upper body and add the ankle weights for when i do my lower body.....I tried last nite a bit to do reverse sit ups with my ankle weight MAN did that flipping burn after 8 reps....

Ok so i will add an extra set and add a bit of weight and take it from there .....Thanks everyone i appreciate it so much..I was wondering why i wasn't getting the results i wanted..I was getting them but now maybe i will get more....

Not knowing what kind of funds you have available there are adjustable dumbells that go from like 5lbs to 60lbs all in once piece. They're a little pricey but if you could get those, a flat bench that inclines, and a pull-up bar you'd have a pretty nice home gym for yourself with minimal space consumption. :)
  • lynzyn
    Options
    All i have for now is what i have i will give it a shot and wait until i have some extra cash...I have added my ankle weights when i do my lower body and also added them to my wrists when i do my uppser body i will give this a shot for a couple weeks and see how it goes and if i don't see results i will go out and but 10 lb and 15lb weights
  • JNick77
    Options
    All i have for now is what i have i will give it a shot and wait until i have some extra cash...I have added my ankle weights when i do my lower body and also added them to my wrists when i do my uppser body i will give this a shot for a couple weeks and see how it goes and if i don't see results i will go out and but 10 lb and 15lb weights

That's cool. Even if you can't buy the thing I'm referring to, you may consider buying a decent pair of dumbbell bars and then just buying the plates that you need. Otherwise you'll eventually have varied weight dumbbells lying all over your house. LOL