Help Needed

Options
I'm in need of help from you guys. I really want to drop the pounds and I'm hoping this site can help. I've made up my mind that I'm ready to lose the weight. I have the exercise part down ok but every day I wake up and say to myself that this is going to be the day that I'm going to eat right. And every day I fail. I start out ok with a good breakfast (i.e. two eggs, one slice of toast, 1/2 grapefruit), and from there it all goes down hill. Can anyone give me some motivational tips on how to stay on course with eating. I've been walking/running on the treadmill 3 times a week, and do strength training two days a week, but I just can't get the eating thing down. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you

Replies

• hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm in need of help from you guys. I really want to drop the pounds and I'm hoping this site can help. I've made up my mind that I'm ready to lose the weight. I have the exercise part down ok but every day I wake up and say to myself that this is going to be the day that I'm going to eat right. And every day I fail. I start out ok with a good breakfast (i.e. two eggs, one slice of toast, 1/2 grapefruit), and from there it all goes down hill. Can anyone give me some motivational tips on how to stay on course with eating. I've been walking/running on the treadmill 3 times a week, and do strength training two days a week, but I just can't get the eating thing down. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

I'm still struggling with food and exercise, but this site is a tremendous help. So far, I've found that tracking my calories on the site's food diary helps to keep me in check. The trick is to actually do it. I let it go over the holidays and gained back everything I had lost.

At our age, we don't get too many calories so it's hard. If you know ahead of time what you will be eating or drinking, include it in the food diary. Then you'll see how many calories you have left and can adjust yoru consumption for the rest of the day. If you go over your available calories, you're not going to reach your goal as planned.

By exercising you do get to consume additional calories. So, try to work in some exercise every day.

Hope this helps.
    Zaza
  • lisaconnolly
    Options
    I do exactly trhe same thing, and seem to binge eat between the hours of 1 and 3...since I started out here (3 days) and writing down everything, it has really helped keep me in check. Good luck!
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Zaza has it right on! Plan ahead. Make up a days worth of food and see what it come out to. Once you see what it adds up as you can see if you have extra. Also snacks are important. I try to keep either a sugar free fruit cup, nuts, or a fiber bar in my purse in case I need a carry over until lunch. And most importantly.. drink your water. It takes away the pain of what you sometimes mistake for hunger with dehydration. I keep a water bottle on my desk and compete with my co worker to see who can drink there water bottle first. I try to drink 2 while I'm at work, which equals 6 cups. Once you get into a routine and realize what each item consists of you will become more conscious of what works and what doesn't.

Good luck to you! We are all here for you.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My problem is my eating too. So I've tried to do two things. One, log my food in beforehand at the beginning of the day so I can see my calories in front of me, and spreading it out. And two, getting rid of the junk in the house or hiding it (I have two kids who still like the chips and candy every once in awhile). But it's still a struggle with me. If you find anything else that works, let me know :)

smiley5.gif
  • rklein71
    rklein71 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I customized my food journal to include Breakfast, Morning Snack, Lunch, Afternoon Snack, and Dinner. One of the things that I have learned here is that it is important not to starve yourself and that eating every few hours helps. Eating healthy snacks between meals helps you stay energized and not feel hungry. So, plan some healthy snacks and go ahead and eat them when you are hungry. I try to limit my morning and afternoon snacks to around 100 calories (although sometimes it is closer to 150).
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan ahead and eat more often like every 3 hours instead of just 3 mealtimes. You are less hungry and your metabolism stays revved too!:bigsmile:
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter