DIeting with Chemo Therapy

Options
I just had a double mastectomy and will begin chemo therapy in a month. Unfortunately, I am also twenty pounds over my goal weight. I just learned that some women gain 15 to 25 pounds when they take chemo therapy.

My chemo ( Adriamycin and Cytoxan) will be very aggressive for two months followed by less aggressive therapy for several months following.

Does anyone on this site have any experience with dieting while undergoing chemo therapy? I could use your feedback through your experiences. I am 57-years-old, use to aerobic and strength training, attend the gym three times a week to work out with a trainer, and am in great physical health except for the extra pounds. I have been a MFP member for only a month, but like the site and wish to continue.

I would like to know what to expect toward weight gain.

Thanks.

Replies

• BigSylHall
    Options
    I just had a double mastectomy and will begin chemo therapy in a month. Unfortunately, I am also twenty pounds over my goal weight. I just learned that some women gain 15 to 25 pounds when they take chemo therapy.

My chemo ( Adriamycin and Cytoxan) will be very aggressive for two months followed by less aggressive therapy for several months following.

Does anyone on this site have any experience with dieting while undergoing chemo therapy? I could use your feedback through your experiences. I am 57-years-old, use to aerobic and strength training, attend the gym three times a week to work out with a trainer, and am in great physical health except for the extra pounds. I have been a MFP member for only a month, but like the site and wish to continue.

I would like to know what to expect toward weight gain.

Thanks.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you, but I will certainly put you on my prayer list. :flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    First of all you are in my prayers.
    Second, you might want to ask your physician if calorie restriction is the best thing at this time. You have to keep your immune system up and sometimes changes in diet can affect that. Your doctor or nurse practitioner should be able to help you put together an eating plan that is right for your proper healing. Although this is not what you asked I just wanted to let you know you are in my prayers.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hi you do not want to diet right now - you are going to gain weight, the steriods etc etc - right now you need to focus on staying as healthy and strong as you can be.

I was very skinny when I was diagnosed and gained about 10lbs going through Chemo - and some more after that thanks to anti-depressants

I tried to diet, I ate salads - I ate it -and right back up it came, fruit veggies same thing

Do yourself a huge favor eat healthy - grains, lean protien , potassium - stay healthy take care of yourself - stay away from citrus ( acid will burn your belly up big time) Walk and try to stay active - I was at they gym every day during chemo

and when you are done with your Chemo - you can focus on wtaching your calories right, now you need to focus on getting well.

Good Luck stay positive .. from a fellow survivor

God Bless
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    I will be praying for you on what must be a very difficult journey:flowerforyou:

here's what I have found on the subject. you may have a hard time keeping things down so you kinda have to eat what your body lets you eat and keep down.

http://www.canceractive.com/page.php?n=704

http://lymphoma.about.com/od/issuesduringtreatment/tp/dietchemo.htm

hope these help
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with others that are saying do not diet.

My mother took chemo for about 18 weeks. She was always a healthy eater but during chemo her taste in food was constantly changing. I suggest you eat what tastes good and what you can during your treatment to keep your energy up.

Good luck and God bless.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Dieting should not be a priority right now, getting healthy should be. Talk to your doctor and try to do what ever s/he tells you. I've known others on chemo and anything you can do, including eating, that will help you maintain your energy level is a good thing.

Take care of yourself,