Dealing with cravings....

Options
Hello everybody! So for the last few days I have been having a lot of cravings for things like cheeseburgers and french fries and such. I am not big on depriving myself of things, I will usually look for a healthier version of what I am craving to make myself feel indulged. I am wondering what other ways you all use to get over your cravings and stay on track. Just interested to hear everyone's input, thanks!

Replies

• mrskaylaforthewin
    Options
    when i crave a hamburger i eat one man...go to wendys and buy a jr hamburger they are like 300 cals or lower maybe 250.. thats not much really
  • mrskaylaforthewin
    Options
    turkey burgers are awesome btw..on the grill<3
  • DerpyHooves
    Options
    I usually dont like to deprive myself either. I like making very small portions of what I am craving. If I want a burger, I'll try to make a healthier, smaller version of it, and make sure that the rest of the day I eat very healthy.
    However, if there are times when Im craving and I cant have what I want... I brush my teeth! I know it sounds weird but the taste of the minty and gritty toothpaste usually takes away the craving. If that doesnt work, then I clean my bathroom! The smell of cleaner takes away my appetite. :)
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is the strangest thing....I have been fighting the same cravings for about a week. LOL
    All I know is it is very hard. I try to just put it out of my mind, brush my teeth or even concentrate on something else.
    In fact I just signed on right now to see if I could get some kind of encouragement for the same thing.
    I guess you are far from being alone on this.
    :ohwell:
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i fill my belly with as much water as i can and find something to keep me busy................its all that works for me
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    i fill my belly with as much water as i can and find something to keep me busy................its all that works for me

Ditto.

The cravings for greasy junk will go away after you have been eating clean for a while.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    If I crave something, I eat it. I just make sure I have room in my macros for it.

If I don't I will either work out like a madwoman to make room - or call it a "spike day" and enjoy the hell out of it.
  • gennybunny1
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself..but try to have lower calorie versions or if that wont work have half, eat slowly and drink lots of water with it. Really focus on the taste and texture and chew each bite 20 times. A little can go a long way like that.
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I,m the same although for cadburys mini rolls! I went over my calories today because i couldn't resist them anymore so i have just spent some time on the cross trainer to burn off the calories.Whether this has helped i don,t know? i feel better that i have and besides no one is good everyday :0)
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    Could it be TOM on the way. I start craving a week or so before I start.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't deprive myself of anything. If I want it, I eat it. But, definitely in moderation. I find that as soon as I have a little of whatever I am craving it solves the problem and I usually don't even finish my smaller portion. I am just careful not to overdo it. The more that you deprive yourself of these things, the more you will continue to crave the item. But, if you eat a bit of what you are craving you will almost always solve the problem and get back to your life. Just keep it within your available calories.

Ignoring cravings and completely depriving yourself of everything that is bad for you is the reason that people don't stick to "diets" and losing weight. Just make smart choices.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If I am having an overhwhelming craving, I give in to it (smartly). I tell myself that if I am still craving it tomorrow, I will set up my meal plan around it and get it.
    I can happily grab a WHopper Jr with bacon and cheese and it will truly satisfy all the cravings ... What I try not to do is give in to all the cravings at once. If I am craving a burger AND fries, I get a buger OR fries ... OR I get the kids/happy meal size. I have found though, they don't like to give adults happy meals unless you are at the drive-through. :-P

Edit: The drive thru note matters because I try not to eat while in the car, I find I consume a LOT of mindless calories that way!
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I have a craving for something, I eat it. This is a lifestyle, not a sprint. I am not trying to never eat anything I want to eat again, so it doesn't make much sense for me to not enjoy the food I want. With the help of MFP, I make sure to account for those calories and move on.
  • maximkat
    maximkat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    as far as burgers go, i don't eat beef, but i'll make my own as natural as can be salmon/chicken/turkey burger at home, within themselves they aren't bad. it's usually the white bread burger bun that's loaded with the garbage. so i'll make a burger, a little cheese, some veggies, chop it all up, and toss it in a low carb wrap. besides once a week or every 10 days i'll have something that's just not characterstic in my diet but something i want. it helps avoid cravings when you know you aren't completely cutting yourself off from the treats.

edit- as far as the fries, i avoid them all together as they are really empty carbs to me, but on a high carb day if i haven't had any craving foods for a while, it's ok to have some.
  • michelleherinckx
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas :) Someone also told me about making fries out of carrots. I ended up not having either but maybe tomorrow I will have a small cheeseburger. It is good to know that I am not the only one dealing with cravings :)
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas :) Someone also told me about making fries out of carrots. I ended up not having either but maybe tomorrow I will have a small cheeseburger. It is good to know that I am not the only one dealing with cravings :)

cravings are part of the game.....