Starting to run?

Options
I have dropped quite a bit of weight total (before and with MFP a little over 50) and I am feeling like I would love to get into running. It seems like the most athletic people I know are runners. The problem is that I don't seem to be able to do it yet! I tried to use the couch to 5k program and I need my own steps way before step 1! Today, I ran a whopping 2 mins and had to go home because I felt like I was going to puke!! Kind of makes me understand why they always throw up on the biggest loser...

So anyways, how do I get started?

My current plan is to stick with the elliptical for now until more weight comes off. I am 5'7" and about 215lbs right now. Am I too heavy to start running? It seems to be too much for my body to take right now. When should I start trying to run again? Did any of you start running at a higher weight?

Any input would be appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I have dropped quite a bit of weight total (before and with MFP a little over 50) and I am feeling like I would love to get into running. It seems like the most athletic people I know are runners. The problem is that I don't seem to be able to do it yet! I tried to use the couch to 5k program and I need my own steps way before step 1! Today, I ran a whopping 2 mins and had to go home because I felt like I was going to puke!! Kind of makes me understand why they always throw up on the biggest loser...

So anyways, how do I get started?

My current plan is to stick with the elliptical for now until more weight comes off. I am 5'7" and about 215lbs right now. Am I too heavy to start running? It seems to be too much for my body to take right now. When should I start trying to run again? Did any of you start running at a higher weight?

Any input would be appreciated! :flowerforyou:
  • ponyskates
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I would suggest starting with speed walking. It looks ridiculous, but one needs to take baby steps. After a while, you'll be able to go for longer and faster. Then start jogging. Same thing. Ease into running. Starting out of nowhere will only frustrate you.

I don't think weight would be an issue, you could easily begin jogging now. I'm 5'4 and weigh 144 and I can't run AT ALL. I can go for two minutes as well, and then want to pass out. I'm an avid walker! :flowerforyou:
  • marifa
    marifa Posts: 1
    Options
    It's great that you want to start running! Last year I trained to run a half marathon with my two daughters and we completed it in August. When we first started we could only run for a couple of minutes too...but, it does get better. Part of the body's response seems to be that you don't feel good when you start (the dreaded "wall")but if you break through that, you feel great. As your distance increases, the length of time until you hit the wall lengthens as well so it ends up taking longer and longer to hit the wall. Each day try to run a little farther but don't push too hard, too soon or you will injure yourself. Good luck~
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I feel like my body is still to big and the running pulls on certain spots ( my jiggly belly of fun and my overweight oobies) I think that we are pretty much in the same boat ...well other than I am short and you are taller *wink* I think that by working out more and maybe ever running 2 min and then walking 2 min ect and SLOWlLY build up to 3 min and then 4 and on and on. I can't wait till I can run! Oh and Way to Rock on the 50 lb loss!!
  • Guppy
    Guppy Posts: 21
    Options
    Hey there! :wink: So,....what is the couch to 5K program?? Is it a run/walk type of thing??? I started running about 5 years ago by doing a running/walking program and took total baby steps. I would walk for about 5 minutes then run for 1, walk 5 etc..... I think everyone regardless of shape/size....feels like they are going to just die when they first start anything the body isn't used to:tongue:

Anyway....I would give it a try - I lost a lot of weight (about 50 lbs) by healthy eating and once I added the running it was ridiculous...weight came off pretty fast:wink: You can totally do anything you set your mind to:wink: Go to runnersworld.com if you think you want to give running a try.....I am sure the couch to 5K program is similar to some of the training plans they have on their site:wink: Anyway....good luck:drinker:
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    Hey there! :wink: So,....what is the couch to 5K program?? Is it a run/walk type of thing??? I started running about 5 years ago by doing a running/walking program and took total baby steps. I would walk for about 5 minutes then run for 1, walk 5 etc..... I think everyone regardless of shape/size....feels like they are going to just die when they first start anything the body isn't used to:tongue:

Anyway....I would give it a try - I lost a lot of weight (about 50 lbs) by healthy eating and once I added the running it was ridiculous...weight came off pretty fast:wink: You can totally do anything you set your mind to:wink: Go to runnersworld.com if you think you want to give running a try.....I am sure the couch to 5K program is similar to some of the training plans they have on their site:wink: Anyway....good luck:drinker:

I think runnersworld is where couch to 5k comes from. I think 5 mins walking and 1 running would work better. They start with 90 secs walking and 60 running. It is way too much for me!

Thanks for the responses everyone.
  • Guppy
    Guppy Posts: 21
    Options
    Try the 5/1 thing and let us all know how it goes....you can DO IT!!! :wink:
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    Try the 5/1 thing and let us all know how it goes....you can DO IT!!! :wink:

I think thats the plan, thanks so much! :flowerforyou:
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Jog slow to start for as long as you can and stop when you need to. You will get better in time and trust me before you know it you will be running 5 miles. I know you can, I did this with my sister. She was overweight and could run a minute. I ran with her and slowly she got better and thinner and faster in, 6 months she had dropped 50 pounds and could run 5 miles at 8 1/2 to 9 minute a mile pace. Good for you to start running your body and your heart will love you for it...:wink:

Alisha:happy: