True or False - Burnt fat releases past toxins...

Options
It's an idea that I've come across a few times over the years...

As you gain weight, your fat cells collect and hold toxins, perhaps for years.
Then, when you burn the fat and lose weight, the toxins are released back into your system and make you feel awful.

Has anyone else heard of this?

If so, during your weight loss, have you felt sick, lightheaded, nauseous, etc? Could this be the cause?

Replies

• jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I saw it on House, MD. That makes it a fact, right???
  • Greenwellj
    Options
    You can shrink your fat cells but until you cleanse to release the toxins your body won't release the fat cells. That is why a full body cleanse is so important.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    False. The oxidation of fat produces mild toxins, which may be flushed easily with adequate water. You should not feel sick.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I heard thats what causes acid flasbacks
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    False. The oxidation of fat produces mild toxins, which may be flushed easily with adequate water. You should not feel sick.

This is what doctors and nutritionists have told me as well. If you feel sick or light headed you might not be getting enough calories or adequate nutrition to fuel your body.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

Some people do feel yucky because they are not accustomed to drinking water. Some people still try to hold on to their steady diet of soda while trying to lose weight. Yes, fat cells do store toxins. The more fat you have on your body the more prone to inflammation you're going to be.
  • dejagerw
    dejagerw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing, and everything I've read cautions breastfeeding moms from losing weight too fast. According to Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (3rd Edition, Riordan, pp 440), it is noted that fad or rapid weight loss programs should be avoided because fat-soluble environmental contaminants and toxins stored in body fat are released into the milk when caloric intake is severely restricted.

So as far as toxins getting released through weight loss, it appears to be true. I'm not sure about whether or not you would feel bad from the release.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Chimical like PBC are stored in fat, the same for hormones. The last one is why some women that have problems getting pregnant can in fact get pregnant after a significant weight loss. I will try to find the articles

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/EnvironmentalHealth/22080

The article has a link to the journal of obesity but I do not have access
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It's possible, depending on what sorts of toxins are stored. It's common to have headaches from withdrawal from some things like caffeine, sugar, or alcohol--things that might be cut out of one's diet when trying to reduce weight. Drinking enough water helps though.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Nope, nope and nope
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Chimical like PBC are stored in fat, the same for hormones. The last one is why some women that have problems getting pregnant can in fact get pregnant after a significant weight loss. I will try to find the articles

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/EnvironmentalHealth/22080

The article has a link to the journal of obesity but I do not have access

From Link:
    Action Points

Point out that observational, cross-sectional studies cannot determine causality.

Note also that the study did not examine whether there were deleterious health consequences due to changes in serum levels of organic pollutants that apparently were released from fat cells as a result of weight loss.

snip
    Lee and colleagues acknowledged that the study design allowed for potential confounding and error, insofar as each participant had only one serum measurement of pollutant levels and reported their own previous weights.
  • iamlegion714
    iamlegion714 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

NICE!!! I can't wait! Them ones are free...:noway:
  • jan_andrea
    jan_andrea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Some chemicals are stored in fat, but if you have enough to actually make you sick as you lose weight, you have much bigger problems :P
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

I approve this message.
  • juganaut
    juganaut Posts: 79 Member
    Options

NICE!!! I can't wait! Them ones are free...:noway:

Will I go completely sideways... man?

Castration! Double castration!
  • SephirothsChild15
    Options
    *Bump*

Bump cause I'm intrigued
  • anthem127
    anthem127 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sorry for bumping an old topic but I just wanted to share my experience.

From the age of 15-25 I was a smoker. I quit cold turkey and never touched another one since.

When I quit I gained weight and went up to 200lbs.

Some ten years later I was getting over a divorce and I went on a drastic casting diet where my weight went from 260lbs to 180lbs.

After I hit 200lbs I started to see this black sticky substance in my shower (I was single then and I was the only one using this shower).

I am very sure that it was some kind of tar coming through my skin.

This hasn't happened since but I registered to share my own personal story. Hope it helps others.
  • SturgellNC
    Options
    So far, I've seen a link with a study that says it is possible and more study is required but I haven't seen any evidence. I also note that those claiming it's false haven't shown any evidence either. This isn't an accusation, just a call for reference. Anybody have any peer-reviewed studies to push this conversation one way or the other?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You can shrink your fat cells but until you cleanse to release the toxins your body won't release the fat cells. That is why a full body cleanse is so important.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :noway: :noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SturgellNC
    Options
    The same 2010 study is still being referenced (article from August, 2013):
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/324017-body-toxins-from-weight-loss/