When is it enough?

Options
I keep changing my goal as I get to it. So when is it enough? It seems I'm always seeing room for improvment or I'm getting pickier with my body. I'm short 5'1 atheletic build (strong legs, flat stomach, good biceps, but want my bum more toned) cw 124.5.lbs. I have seen many others goals that are much less so I'm not sure what to do? Any ideas or thoughts would be apperciated.

thank you:flowerforyou:

Replies

• esloanpa
    Options
    I don't know, but have wondering about this myself. I am so close to crossing over into the "under" line on my BMI, but I really want to lose a few more pounds. Not sure how bad it is to go under such a thing, even if only by a few pounds. I too feel like I am getting pickier about my body now that I have shed almost all of the weight I wanted to lose (and surpassed my original goal). In any case, I know this doens't answer your question but thought I would share that others are facing the same quandry.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i know how it is! i am the same. i keep changing my goal as well. I am 5'5 and CW is 128.1. I am pretty satisfied at this point, but i still have some major issues with my belly pouching out (I had a baby last year so i still need some toning) you being 5'1 and all i don't think 124 is too thin. I think your probably at a healthy weight range, and even if you want to go to 117 you would still look good and not too skinny. my sis in law is 5'2.5 and was 108 and didn't look skinny either. It has alot to do with your body build too. Whatever you feel comfortable with is when it's the right time. Just don't get too OD about it :))
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should focus more on non-scale goals now. You're at a good weight, so now just work on the other things that you want to change. :)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Enough is enough when you're asking yourself and others, "When is it enough?"
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Enough is enough when you're asking yourself and others, "When is it enough?"

i wish there was a like button for this.. LOL
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    You're definitely at a good "healthy" weight now and that is what counts.

You should focus on maintaining that weight and getting toned and as fit as you want to be.

If you decide to go down to 120 lbs., it should be okay but make sure that you don't fall into an unhealthy "underweight" situation.

Go with the recommended BMI charts. Stay healthy and fit. : )
  • CAworkout
    CAworkout Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ditto for me. I started with an initial goal and when I hit it, realized I had been too easy on myself so went for 5 more...and then 5 more. Now, I have a hard time maintaining because I've been in "lose" mode for so long. Right now I hover around 120lbs and I'm 5'5" so I keep an eye on my weight and eat more when I go into the teens. I think as long as you don't fall into the underweight BMI category it should be okay.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body can help you make that decision. I have a friend who is about your height, and several years ago when we were losing weight together, the diet center we were going to set our goal weights for us. My friend, whose goal I think was set at 120, stuck to the plan, ate well and exercised, and could NOT get down to 120. She could get to 122, and I think hit 120 for about 15 minutes once. :happy: But she too is of a strong, somewhat muscular build, and I think 120 was just a bit too low for her. I'm sure she could have starved herself down lower, but withe healthy eating and exercise, it just was not going to happen. So maybe if you don't focus on a certain weight, but just getting yourself to looking and feeling the way you want, eat healthy, exercise, and just see what happens with the scales. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat, so that can make a good bit of difference when you're down so trim as you are now. Congratulations btw! :flowerforyou:
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I would like to say thank you for sharing. It has give me something to think about. I am by no means close to being underweight. However I have recently recieved a few comments from friends and family who said they'd felt I'd lost enough. That's what got me thinking about it. I will continue with my journey I'm close but not quite there yet.

thanks again
    hugs to all :flowerforyou:
  • wendorfa
    Options
    Totally agree. I was going to suggest going into a 'maintenance' diet/exercise plan, and see how it goes for a couple of weeks. There has to be a point where most people's bodies won't go down to or won't stay even if they finally get there. Toning is one thing, you may not necessarily need to lose, just tone.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I always tell people, after you lose the weight , your goals start changing. You want a fitter, healthier look and wanna look 'toned' so a bit more muscle is usually the next step.

There's always things people wanna improve about their appearance, generally speaking, their size/shape is one of the few things they can control or work at.

I'm presently trying to gain as much muscle as I can before next summer. In 3 months time, my goal is to start shedding the fat around those muscles....in 8 months time, I'll take another look and re-evaluate my goals.

That's the long answer.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Throw out the scale and the BMI charts! What's your body fat percentage? Weight is honestly not a very good measure of health and fitness. Look at myself for example. I'm down 40 pounds from my heaviest, but still 30 pounds away from where I was in my mid 20's. The funny thing is, I'm wearing smaller clothes now than I wore in my mid 20's. I have more muscle mass, and less body fat than I did then, which, while making me heavier on the scale, also has me more toned and fit. When I get to my goal weight I'll have a body fat percentage of around 8%, which will be lower than I've ever had in my life.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I had to make the same decision LOL. I have decided that I do not want to lose weight anymore, my new goal is to lose %body fat. I am 123 pounds and 5' tall. My goal is 20% BF. I have my calories on maintenance and started heavy strenght training. I the last 3-4 weeks I've lost many many inches all over my body but my weight stayed the same.
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I had to make the same decision LOL. I have decided that I do not want to lose weight anymore, my new goal is to lose %body fat. I am 123 pounds and 5' tall. My goal is 20% BF. I have my calories on maintenance and started heavy strenght training. I the last 3-4 weeks I've lost many many inches all over my body but my weight stayed the same.

Hi may I ask what your measurements are?