HRM-fat burning zone or fitness zone?

Options
I used my Polar FT7 for the first time this morning and am a little confused on weather I should try to stay in the "fat burning" zone to lose weight or go for a higher caloric burn by staying in the fitness zone? My primary goal is weight loss. Any suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I absolutely think you should shoot for higher heart rates. The whole fat burning zone is kind of a crock, you want to burn the most calories possible. If you use up your carb reserves while working out then your body will just burn more fat the rest of the day.

You really want to spend time training in a few different zones. Doing High Intensity Intervals up to your past your anaerobic threshold 1-2 times a week. This will improve your body's ability to transport blood an oxygen and raise your vo2 max. It has also been shown to increase your metabolism

You should also do long workouts in the aerobic zone -- this burns tons of calories, builds cardio endurance, and again helps to increase your metabolism

I think fitness and and fat burning are both to low for much other than an easy recovery workout.
  • sakus32
    sakus32 Posts: 101
    Options
    Look at it from this angle . . . the fat burning zone is the minimum you need to burn fat, anything above and beyond is gravy and added calorie burn. However, don't be crazy, watch your breathing, making sure it is even and your not hyperventilating. You should be able to watch your heart rate increase as you continue your cardio. The HRM range is individual for each person, so what is good for me might be too much for you. Good luck!!!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was right there with you for a long time where weight loss ws my primary goal.

One of the suggestions I would make when working out with your HRM is to shift that focus. Focus on "training" your body to be as fit and athletic as possible. Even more weight loss will come as a side effect