Once Thread Killer, Always Thread Killer

Options

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Do you have to cook the Oatmeal? Interesting.
    I may turn into a Smoothie Machine here, LOL!! So far I am having Fun doing this so it doesn't count as "Cooking".

I had not really thought about adding Yogurt to my Greens but it would go toward my goal of getting more Veggies in. AND, it should Travel well so I can pack it in my Lunch Box.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Nope, no cooking involved. Just dump it in raw and blend away. I add mine for fiber and it keeps me fuller longer.
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :sick: Let me know if you get Sick of hearing about my Experimenting!!
    Today's Lunch:

2 Cups Baby Kale
    1 Cup Frozen Summer Vegetable Blend (Carrots, Zucchini, Squash)
    1 Medium D'Anjou Pear
    1/2 Cup Cold Water

I think this is my Favorite one so Far!! I have never had Kale before so I wasn't sure about it. Do you always add Ice to yours?
  • mem50
    Options
    Never sick of hearing about food experiments!

I tried ice once. Made it too...thin? I like a thicker blend.

Never thought of Kale. Next payday will pick some up.

If all goes well I should have Bartlett pairs. I counted about 40 on my tree the other day when I was squirrel proofing it. I think my raspberries are dying. They bloomed and are now withering away. Perhaps too much sun?
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: Believe it or not, I get all my Pears (and most of my Bananas) at 7-11!! They are the best Pears in town, but I have No Idea where they get them!!
  • mem50
    Options
    I am hoping the pears on my tree are really good. I would love to can a few. That is if they survive my husband. He is a grazer. Yup, if there is fresh veggies or fruit out in the garden area he will go and start eating. He will even yank the carrots up, brush off the dirt and eat it. I have to say I would have to rinse it off first.
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: Yup, I'd have to rinse them too, but I did hear on the News last week that there is a Chemical in Dirt that helps fight Depression. Maybe your Hubby is on to something!! We could always try Mud Pies!!
  • mem50
    Options
    Oh, Yum!! You are so funny! Have not had a "mud" pie since....What...5 or 6 years old?

I'll stick with my smoothies and Vitamin D.

Yes, my raspberries are dying. There is a bug problem that comes in 26 year cycles. This is the year. DH's BF just told me about it. His tomato and potato plants are being attacked also. Oh well, I was not expecting much out of them this year anyways.
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: Today's Lunch:

2 Cups Baby Kale
    2 Cups Frozen Summer Blend Vegetables (Carrots, Squash, Zucchini)
    1 Pear
    1 Cup Cold Water

Sort of like a V-8 with Spinach!
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :drinker: Todays Smoothie:

1 Cup Baby Kale
    1 Cup Spinach & Power Greens
    2 Cups Frozen Diced Butternut Squash
    1 Medium D'Anjou Pear
    3/4 Cup Water

LOVED IT!! I think I have FINALLY turned into a Smoothie Lover!! And I am getting in a LOT of Vegetables!!
  • mem50
    Options
    Picking up kale today.

Plus I got a bag of fresh picked boysenberries to toss into the mix. Cousin has a tree just Loaded with them. I'm going back later today to pick some more!! Hoping to get enough for jam!
  • mem50
    Options
    Correction from yesterday. They are Mulberries. Still they are yummy and FREE! :laugh:
  • LJCannon
    Options
    How cool is that! I thi.k Berrys of any kind are supposed to be good for you. Fresh off the tree and FREE is even Better!!

Today's Smoothie:

1 Pkg Stir Fry Blend Veggies (Snow Peas, Broccoli, Carrots)
    1 Pear
    3/4 Cup (approx.) chopped Ice & Water

Not TERRIFIC, but Not Terrible either. MUCH Better after I added the Pear.
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    I'm back.

Life has been intense and I try so hard to hold on. Lots of highs and just as many lows.

Weight is back on, but for now I'm concentrating on health. So I was thrilled to read back a page and see your discussion on green smoothies. I have been attempting this also for the last month or so. Off and on.

I thought it would be a good way of packing in some vitamins. I do go a little overboard when making them.

for example

1 x apple
    1 x carrott
    1 x stick of celery
    handful of spinach or kale (sometimes both)
    Pce of melon or pear or banana
    dollop of greek yoghurt
    splash of olive leaf extract
    wheatgerm
    flaxseed
    lecthin
    1/4 teaspoon of wheatgrass powder
    cinnamon

Sometimes I leave it thick so then i eat it with a spoon rather then drink it. I have also tried adding coconut water.

My daughter is sick (again). so while taking care of her, i made her a juice (her prefered) I juiced carrot, apple, celery, put that into her drink shaker and then added spiralina, wheatgrass, olive leaf extract and coconut water, ice cubes. She loves it and now makes it to take to work with her. She is an exercise instructor /dancer (and over does it) and this hopefully will help her build up her immune system.

Please share any tips you have.

I will try to be more active here, however I go away next week for my nephews wedding. My nephew is coming home from England to get married. The wedding is in the lovely warm state of Queensland. We are in Sydney its winter and has been wet and cold. However this event is now following a funeral, His uncle (my brother in laws, brother) passed away last night. He has been very sick so its a blessing. I will not go to the funeral, sticking to our original travel plans, which is what the family want. It will also help to bring the focus back to the happy event. But it does also highlight the need to take good care of ourselves.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I havn't paid any attention to the message boards on MFP for six months and here you guys still are trying to kill this thread! LOL
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :laugh: It is a Tough Little Thread Angelika!! It is good to see you again!!
    :happy: Jenn your Smoothie sounds Very Healthy. I bet it will kick your Daughter's System into Gear! I am sorry to hear about your BIL but as you said, it is a good reminder.
    :ohwell:
    QUESTION: Yesterday I read a Comment someplace -- I don't remember where, exactly -- that if you use Frozen Veggie's in your Smoothies you should cook them first. Have you all heard that? Do you do it?
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Most veggies are precooked, they can be used frozen, I suppose it is a matter of taste. We have started drinking a fruit, spinach, flax seed, and keifer smoothie. It is good and certainly nutrition dense! I like it for days I need to get moving quickly and won't be able to eat again for several hours.
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :heart: Thanks, Ang!!

:drinker: Today's Smoothie:

3 Cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
    2 Cups Fresh Strawberrys
    1 TBLSP Lemon Zest 9optional)
    1 Naval Orange, peeled
    1 Banana
    2 Cups Baby Spinach & Power Greens

I did not use the Lemon Zest, I don't think it would have added anything, really. I prefer a thicker Smoothie, so next time I will try 1 & 1/2 or 2 Cups of Milk. Other than that it was Great!! The recipe says it is 2 Servings, but I really think it came closer to being 3. Very Filling!!
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy 4th of July!! Hope you got to enjoy a Safe, Active Holiday with Lots of Healthy Choices!!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Testing the power of a smoothie.

So I awoke this morning feeling not so well. This can't be, have far too much to do. So made a smoothie packed full of goodness.
    Maybe overdone it.

apple
    papaya
    strawberries
    dates
    fresh ginger
    kale
    wheatgrass
    cinamon
    olive leaf extract
    lecethin
    psyllium husk
    chia seed
    flaxmeal
    olive leaf extract
    coconut water
    macadamia nuts
    protein powder

410 calories and 54 carbs. All a bit high. Lets see how I feel in a couple of hours.