Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

NSV- First Half Marathon, with pictures!!

HEY ALL!
Sooo.. this past Sunday, I ran my first. Half. Marathon. Ever.

Let me just clarify by telling you all that I was never a runner. In high school I ran the 1 mile in about 16 minutes. Maybe longer. I didn't really run it I think I just walked and looked pathetic.
I tried to pick up running for a while.. and it never really stuck. I always started off too fast.

Theeennn.. In Mayish... I started the c25k program. And by the end of June, my friend asked me to train for a half marathon with her. So I did. I ran my first 5k in July.
And then my first half on Sunday. I have barely been running for 6 months. And I DID IT!
For those of you who want to run/are starting a running program, let this be an inspiration to you :) It CAN be done. If I can do it, anyone can.

I ran the first 7 miles of the half without stopping.. then did walk/run till about mile 11, then walked until 12.5 and ran to the finish line.
To be honest, I probably could've run the whole thing if I had the appropriate shoes.

I got fitted/my stride evaluated/proper shoes in June.. and they were great. Then about 3 weeks before the half, they felt like they weren't as supportive anymore. Then, everyone told me running shoes last 6 months, and I was just being crazy..
Then during the half my knee was KILLING me, and my feet were. I could feel the pavement on the balls of my feet, it was awful.
Just to be sure I wore my shoes around this week walking/stuff... and they are hurting just to stand/walk in. So I'm getting new ones tomorrow.

ANYWAAYYY

I ran my first half in 2:49. Not bad for a first timer.
Here's some pics from the race :)

half6.png

half5.png

half1.png

Replies

• Wow. I'm using you as inspiration. I just started running in late June. Never ran in my life. Doing 5k's now. Getting ready for my first 10k in November. I would love to do a half marathon next year.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Rock on!! Be careful, though. I hear they're addictive.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    AMAZING! I am doing my first half marathon in January...ahhh! :)
  • ladedahh
    ladedahh Posts: 13 Member
    Congratulations! That is such an amazing accomplishment. I have always wanted to get into running and try the couch to 5k program. I think I may. I was the same way in high school. I remember trying to run and just being horrible even back then, when I was a lot smaller. So this was really an inspiration. :)
  • Congrats!... its a great feeling to do something you didn't think you were capable of!.... keep on pounding pavement!... congrats again!
  • Pitterpatter
    Pitterpatter Posts: 243 Member
    how awesome!! congrats!!!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    That is awesome!!! I want to be like you.. someday soon!!! I love it!!!!

My first 5k is October 2nd. Last Sunday I ran 6.2 miles continuously.

In November, I have 3 races planned.. I'm CRAZY!!!!!
  • Congratulations! What an accomplishment for a beginning runner! My story is similar to yours. Always hated running in school and it wasn't until about 2 years ago that I decided to try it again, but easing into it. Now I LOVE it!

Also, I'm not sure who told you that running shoes last 6 months. It really depends on the mileage put on the shoes. Shoes will last 300-500 miles usually. I'd recommend tracking your mileage with your next pair or at least know about how many miles you run a month so you can figure out how long they should last you.

Good luck with your future races!!
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 694 Member
    Congrats....I just signed up for my first 1/2...also not a runner. I was worried that I wouldnt make it by March...but you helped inspire me to keep training for it. I am up to 3.1miles now without walking.
    Great job and you are amazing!!!!
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Great job!
  • I knew you could, I knew you could ... That is so awesome and wow you look great and happy. You made it through the ups and downs and achieved your goal. I am so happy for you.
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Thanks for all of your support :)

And you're definitely right.. it IS addicting. I'm already looking for some 5ks in my area to run haha
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Congrats!! I ran my first 1/2 this past Sunday as well and it was an awesome accomplishment for me. I am sure you felt very much the same :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!