running time

Options
i'm trying to increase my endurance and stamina, if i ran for 20 minutes today, how long should i run for tomorow? whats your best guess?
Thanks!! :)

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you have a look at one of the training programs that you will find on line.

If you have a particular goal (like to be able to run 5km or 10km or a half marathon) then google "10km run training" or something.
    If you don't have a special goal at the moment, then check out some of the running sites like Runners World or Cool Runnings for
    beginner run training.

Most of the programs seem to look something like this:
    2 or 3 runs during the week, 20 - 40 mins. Often one easy run, one interval run, one tempo run.
    One long run each week where you increase you distance (or time) by about 10% per week.

If you have a smart phone you will find lots of apps - MiCoach, Runkeeper and RunCoach are all pretty good.
    Or have a look at C25K or Bridge to 10K.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you have a look at one of the training programs that you will find on line.

If you have a particular goal (like to be able to run 5km or 10km or a half marathon) then google "10km run training" or something.
    If you don't have a special goal at the moment, then check out some of the running sites like Runners World or Cool Runnings for
    beginner run training.

2 or 3 runs during the week, 20 - 40 mins. Often one easy run, one interval run, one tempo run.
    One long run each week where you increase you distance (or time) by about 10% per week.

If you have a smart phone you will find lots of apps - MiCoach, Runkeeper and RunCoach are all pretty good.
    Or have a look at C25K or Bridge to 10K.

This person types truth. Read carefully and follow the advice given.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options

First, I will admit I have not looked at these types of training programs...I'm doing C25k now. But this sounds like 4 runs per week...one easy, one interval, one tempo, and one long. Or is the long a interval or tempo run too?
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    No, your long run is just that ... a longer that your last run, run. Slower and more methodical. It's suggested to be around 10% longer than the previous one. Although I have to admit, I don't always keep to that. Sometimes I go farther than 10%. For example, I'm getting back to building so I went 6 miles last weekend, but I'm going to go 8 this weekend for my long run - much farther than 10%. Your long run is also supposed to be slower than your regular runs throughout the week by, oh say 20-30 seconds per mile. I find it hard to judge speed, also. I enjoy my HRM so I can guage my speed a little better. (Not that it's anything to write home about, but it does help.)