Couch to 5k?

Options
I just started couch to 5k today, and I just wanted to hear some success stories on it for motivation.

Replies

• ambermichk
    ambermichk Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    love to hear it too, i want to start this myself
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I have done it twice. And yes, you will be able to do a 5K at the end of the program. The biggest problem I had was not to try and go too fast on the jogging intervals. Most of my runs were done on a treadmill because the weather here is just too unpredictable to get outside to run very much. Take your time with it. If you don't feel ready to move up at the end of a week, you can repeat it. I remember feeling ecstatic after I completed the entire program. Good luck with it! Don't hesitate to ask if I can help you at any point.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    :smile: Kick *kitten*!
  • oyechulo
    Options
    I just finished the last week and the program has been amazing. I've always hated running but now I don't mind it as much and I've lost 8 lbs while doing it :D I definitely recommend it
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am graduating C25K in less than two weeks, and I've registered for my first 5K ever at the end of October.

To think that I was out of breath after a one minute run when I began...

It got tough sometimes, but I'm really proud I've pushed through it!

Don't give up! Success is around the corner for you... :-)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Started the program on Mother's day, May of 2010... ran my first 5k in 41 minutes!!! One year later, I ran one in 28:45. This Saturday I'm running my first half marathon!!!! (that's 13.1 miles in case you didn't know) The program WORKS!!!!!!! Go for it... saved my life!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well...I have a 5k on Saturday and I should have gotten through all of Couch to 5k beforehand, BUT I got a spider bite that got infected and I was sidelined for two weeks. That said, I probably won't be able to run the entire race on Saturday, but I will finish it. I am going to start back at week 5 after the race in order to build up to being able to run a whole race maybe at the end of October...there's a Monster Mash race in my town then :)
  • cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just logged week 8 workout 2. 28 minute run. I was really skeptical when I started back on week 1. It gets easier and you'll start to really enjoy it. Never did comprehend the "runners high" thing. Now I get it!

Hang in there, and don't fret over week 5.

Best wishes to you.
  • TammiAcker
    TammiAcker Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!! This is the first time in my life I'm focused on something and have "stuck with it"! Monday I will be starting week 6 of the C25K. 6 weeks ago I couldn't even run for a minute.... now I'm able to run for 20 min straight! I love that I feel stronger, and like I've "accomplished" something! I've signed up for my first 5k in November. The program builds you up so that you are challenged but not overwhelmed like you might get with done by yourself!
  • allybally6
    allybally6 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I will be finishing the program tomorrow. I never was a runner. Ever! I have "bad knees" and really didn't think that I could do it in the beginning. As far as weight loss well nutrition is key and these past few weeks well I didn't do my best. I can say that running has made a real difference in my body everything is much easier now that I'm a runner. WIth the program don't be afraid to repeat a week and go SLOWLY! I still can't believe that I can run 30 minutes straight. Overall I highly recommend the program. I'm kind of sad that it's ending. But I'm just going to keep going. c25k has changed my life. Good luck!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I will be finishing the program tomorrow. I never was a runner. Ever! I have "bad knees" and really didn't think that I could do it in the beginning. As far as weight loss well nutrition is key and these past few weeks well I didn't do my best. I can say that running has made a real difference in my body everything is much easier now that I'm a runner. WIth the program don't be afraid to repeat a week and go SLOWLY! I still can't believe that I can run 30 minutes straight. Overall I highly recommend the program. I'm kind of sad that it's ending. But I'm just going to keep going. c25k has changed my life. Good luck!

I think there's a program called Bridge to 10k that people do after c25k
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just finished it about 2 weeks ago. When I started, I couldn't even jog to the end of the driveway to get the mail without being out of breath. I have asthma so I figured running was out of the question. I now run 3 miles at a time 3-4 days a week. And my asthma has improved so significantly that I don't even use my inhaler before exercising anymore. Another added plus...my legs look fantastic! I also achieved my greatest weight loss when I started running. Look at my profile photo...that came from running!

Now for my advice...do the program as it's outlined. Even if you think (or know) you can run more, don't. And if you don't feel ready to move to the next week, don't. I injured myself at the beginning and had to start over. All because I thought I was smarter than the program. And buy the right shoes. I didn't at first and that contributed to the injury. Don't be afraid of it, you CAN do it!
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    Thanks guys, and congrats, all of you! I can hardly wait till it ends and I can run like a champ >:] I really want to do track in the spring so this would definitely be the breakthrough I've been looking for!
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My best advice is when those days come that you do not feel like running and there will be days like that...go run anyway. It will be worth it.

I finished the program in August, and I am still amazed that less than 3 months ago I couldn't run 10 yards, now I am doing 4 miles every other day.
  • berdwa
    Options
    I have done it twice over the years. I have old track injuries so it always takes me more time than it says it should. It's a great program, though. I'm running 17 miles a week now and I've lost 38 pounds total and 20 since May.
  • LolaVaantz
    LolaVaantz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just started this week, my 3rd loop for week one is tomorrow. I can't even make it 15 minutes with the intervals and am doing it on a treadmill, but I know it will get better and this is JUST the start. I've had coworkers do this and LOVED it, and my own sister didn't do the program but did something similarly on her own and lost 50 pounds so far and now loves running. I've never in my life been able to do a 12 minute mile and i'm excited to get there, let alone a full 5k without walking!
    Friend me if you want a C25K buddy! We'll motivate each other.
    Oh big tip i've had from everyone who has done it and seems to be repeated on blogs is go with the pace of the program DONT jump ahead, but by all means stay in the same phase for as long as you need to reach the goal.

:)