Cleanse good or bad?

Options
Have any of you ever done a cleanse? I'm thinking about doing one, but I want to do it right and do one that will actually help! Or have any of you had bad experiences with cleanses??
thanks!!!:happy:

Replies

• Lynn1987
    Options
    Have any of you ever done a cleanse? I'm thinking about doing one, but I want to do it right and do one that will actually help! Or have any of you had bad experiences with cleanses??
    thanks!!!:happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Drink water, pee, and have a bowel movement. Tada! You're cleansed and it was free.
    If your body couldn't rid itself of toxins, you'd be dead by now. :wink: Cleanses don't do anything but dehydrate you and interfere with nutrient absorption by giving you diarrhea. Your kidneys and liver do a marvelous job of cleansing you without any 'herbal supplements'.
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I did a cleanse about a year ago for the heck of it. I think a cleanse is great for someone who has a really bad diet or someone who is trying to kick-start their diet. I already was eating very healthy and found that I was in lots of pain. My kidneys, back, stomach burned with the supplements that were provided. I lasted 10 of the 12 days before I had to stop. I say if you already have a healthy lifestyle you don't need it.

Best of luck!
  • fiddlechic
    Options
    all of the above are true. cleanses dont really work. I saw an episode of oprah on the subject. the participants before and after the cleanse had the same amount of "toxins". you will lose weight but that isnt the point of a real cleanse. just add more fruits and veggies and youll feel cleaner.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    all of the above are true. cleanses dont really work. I saw an episode of oprah on the subject. the participants before and after the cleanse had the same amount of "toxins". you will lose weight but that isnt the point of a real cleanse. just add more fruits and veggies and youll feel cleaner.

LOL did Oprah ever say what the 'toxins' are supposed to be? Everyone uses the word toxins...and our biggest ATP production waste product is H2O!:laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    cleanses come in many different colors.....a decent cleanse is great and great for you....mainly a real easy one is lots of fiber supplements and detoxing off caffiene, dairy and wheat for awhile....after you are eating right for awhile you dont really need a cleanse

lots of articles on cleanses on the web...just watch doing any fasting longer than 24 hours

good luck
    Dave
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    cleanses come in many different colors.....a decent cleanse is great and great for you....mainly a real easy one is lots of fiber supplements and detoxing off caffiene, dairy and wheat for awhile....after you are eating right for awhile you dont really need a cleanse

lots of articles on cleanses on the web...just watch doing any fasting longer than 24 hours

good luck
    Dave

Too much fiber can do just as much damage as too little. Fiber works by causing cells in your intestinal wall to secrete extra mucous in response to being damaged, so too much can either give you diarrhea or become a blockage if not accompanied by enough water. I really wouldn't recommend anyone just take 'a lot' of fiber.

If you're really worried about your colon, get a colonoscopy. You'll fast 24 hours, take ungodly amounts of laxatives and stool softeners, and then a nice doctor will insert a camera into your rectum, fill you full of air, and take pictures of the entire colon. I promise it will be uneventfully pink and you won't poop out 20 pounds of waste. I know, I've done it, and despite never having 'cleansed', I have a very tidy colon.

You just don't build up 'toxins' (whatever that word is supposed to mean). I can understand cutting out dairy or wheat if a sensitivity is suspected, but what other purpose does it serve? Do dairy and wheat cause some sort of buildup? :huh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    sorry there songbryd
    ..mine was on opinion...take it easy
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    sorry there songbryd
    ..mine was on opinion...take it easy

Oh I didn't mean that on the offense, just saying that I don't think people should needlessly cleanse or self-medicate, whether it's with fiber or anything else. I can understand not drinking caffeine as it can interfere with HR/BP and sleep, but as far as food groups...I mean it's not really purposeful.
  • Lynn1987
    Options
    Thanks for all your inputs everyone!!:smile: