Any squat form tips?

Options
My trainer says I'm strong enough to squat barbells, but won't give me one until I clean up my form. Her notes from today were that I am leaning forward too much and my knees are coming forward too much.

Any helpful hints?

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    pick a spot on the ceiling and keep your eyes on it. It will keep your head kicked back, which will force your hips down properly.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    When I was taught, my trainer put a bench behind me and I had to stick my bootie out to "sit" on the bench, I did that until my form inproved
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    oops...double post
  • mday7205
    mday7205 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1. Back Straight
    2. Don't let your knees go over your toes
    3. Stick your butt out

This is going to sound bad but it helps with form. I use to have a coach who said "Picture yourself in the woods having to take a dump in a hole. If you don't get your butt back far enough things may get messy"

Maybe a little TMI and not a good visual but it works....
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    This is over 2 decades personal trainer talking here. And I learned squats from an olympic lifting national champion, who was a colleague and highly qualified certified trainer.

She taught me to start with hands at my chest. I actually hold two dumbbells like a chest pass in basketball. That way, if you lean over too far, you will drop the weights. So holding the dumbbells at your chest, resting in your palms like a chest pass, will force you to keep your spine in extension. The rib cage needs to be lifted. Getting your bootie back IS super important, but do NOT let it tuck under. That is where people mess up, and kill their back. You need to have your spine in extension, and your calves need to be flexilble. Sometimes trainers put a wedge underneath the heels, to allow someone to squat deeper. This may get you to your lifting goal, but you're going to end up creating biomechanical problems. The poster who said she had a trainer put a bench behind her had the right idea. If you're going to do that, make sure you put the bench at least 6 inches behind your legs, so that you will be forced to get the booty back. If you can keep your heels on the floor, your spine extended (that doesn't mean vertical; it just means there should be a natural lumbar arch) and your booty back, you will probably get it down.

I also sometimes have clients squat back and hold onto a machine or fixed item at chest height. Then they can't bend forward. I have them let go of one arm, then the other arm. All of the sudden they feel their core engage strongly. This is the feeling I want them to have. You may lift with the legs, but the core MUST be engaged.

Now if you don't have a clue about what I just said, please share this with your trainer. He or she will know what I'm talking about.

Finally, I also sometimes have clients hold a wooden dowel overhead while squatting. Hope this helps.
  • saugustin07
    saugustin07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You need to stick your bottom out then drop your bottom like your on a toilet plain and simple . Chest up legs shoulder length apart. Your knees should not move when you squat. It's really good if you can get lower than your knees when you squat.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone!

I watched the vid, and c2sky I'm going to copy and paste what you said to my trainer.

Definitely not interested in introducing any new biomechanical problems. :) I'm already 40 and had my share since I started training 2.5 months ago, lol.

Getting the butt back is not really a problem, but I have balance issues and I guess I feel like I will fall over backwards if I don't lean forward with the upper body, or something. It might go away with a bar or it might get worse.

I will also try by myself and watch for that core engagement.

Thanks again!