Bananas good or bad?

Options

Replies

• elmsallmissile
    Options
    I haven't eaten a banana in months, cause they are so expensive - I only buy them when they are cheap, and they are just now beginning to be available here for under $10/kg.

But I can't see why they are particularly bad for you. They're fruit, right? Better eating a small banana than a chocolate bar.

$10 per Kg? where do you live, the moon?

UK approx 70p per Kg
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    excess calories cause excess fat. Eat 100 bananas a day = get fat. Eat a regular amount of bananas and keeping around maintenance cals = don't get fat.

Eat 100 bananas a day = DEAD
  • lovewish
    lovewish Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    oh NO ! you confirmed my fears!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. :-)
  • rana_bear
    Options
    I haven't eaten a banana in months, cause they are so expensive - I only buy them when they are cheap, and they are just now beginning to be available here for under $10/kg.

But I can't see why they are particularly bad for you. They're fruit, right? Better eating a small banana than a chocolate bar.

$10 per Kg? where do you live, the moon?

UK approx 70p per Kg

i'm not the original person who posted the reply about the cost of bananas but im guessing they are from Australia. Bananas were around $15 per kg for a while after bad floods wiped out majority of the fruit early this year,
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i'm susceptible to cramps and tight muscles, so i usually have one or two bananas a day, plus nuts like almonds or walnuts, as snacks.
  • lovewish
    lovewish Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks All...here's to Bananas! I love them and I think I will enjoy them a couple of times a week. They are my fave:bigsmile:
  • ThinspiredButterfly
    Options
    seriously? bananas are veryyyyyy good for you.they have potassium and its a good source of fuel.bananas ARE the fattiest fruit [110 cals per banana] and they fill you up.so, if u ever have the urge to binge..eat a banana and 4 cups of water, it always helped meee :] lost 3lbs in a week from that because it stopped me from binging :]]
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    seriously? bananas are veryyyyyy good for you.they have potassium and its a good source of fuel.bananas ARE the fattiest fruit [110 cals per banana] and they fill you up.so, if u ever have the urge to binge..eat a banana and 4 cups of water, it always helped meee :] lost 3lbs in a week from that because it stopped me from binging :]]

omg, didn't know that about bananas. i mean, i kinda knew they filled me up, but didn't know why! good information.

ps, she's talking about the good kind of fat that your body needs, not the bad kind
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I hope they are good. I just had one.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Bananas are an excellent source of potassium and you need potassium to help regulate the sodium in your system -they work in tandem. Other good sources of potassium are avocados, almonds and white beans.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten a banana in a long time. I love the taste, but they don't have much "filling" power. I always felt more satisfied after eating an apple than a banana for some reason.
  • ThinspiredButterfly
    Options

omg, didn't know that about bananas. i mean, i kinda knew they filled me up, but didn't know why! good information.

hah, ya.im living proof :p thats y theyre my favorite, not because of the taste, just how it works :] and ohh, my bad.its a little after 7am, my reading isnt too good right now xD but my info is 100% correct :]]]
    ps, she's talking about the good kind of fat that your body needs, not the bad kind
  • xalligator
    xalligator Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Uh, a medium banana has less than 1g of fat. All those calories come from carbohydrates. The fattiest fruit is the avocado.
  • ThinspiredButterfly
    Options

Uh, a medium banana has less than 1g of fat. All those calories come from carbohydrates. The fattiest fruit is the avocado.

really?huh. didnt know that..i alway it was a vegetable, so ive been told. not a fan at all with avocados, so i never looked it up. :] bananas still made me stop binging, thats all i care about
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    ~I like bananas because they have appeal~!

Ba dum BUM!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    My great grandmother ate a banana everyday at lunch... she lived to be 95 y.o.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas almost every day. Often after I work out in the morning I have a banana with a teaspoon of natural pb spread on the end of it. It's a great boost of energy with protein! I also use mashed banana as the sweetener in my oatmeal. I am really trying to cut down on the amount of artificial sweetener I use and bananas are so sweet that they do the trick. Yes, they have more calories than other fruit but they are very healthy. Avocado and peanut butter are also high in calories, but they too are both very healthy in moderation. I eat all three most days because they are awesome!
  • Dreamin_Skinny
    Options
    I love bananas. It hurts my feelings that they may be bad for me! lol. I won't stop eating them. They are a good breakfast and beat a bowl of cereal any day. Anything in moderation, I say.
  • Dreamin_Skinny
    Options
    What is a good way to keep bananas from going bad so fast?