Bruises from working out?

Options
Has anyone had any problem with bruising on their legs from working out? Whenever I first started to get back into shape, I started getting a lot of bruising around my knee caps and a little bit along the side of my legs. I still have problems with it, and it seems to get the worst when I am running on a regular basis. I am not anemic, I drink plenty of water, I have supportive shoes, I stretch, etc.

When I ask my doctor about it, they kind of shrugged and said I was probably bumping into more things and not realizing it. However, the bruising seems to be directly related to my exercise habits. Has anyone had issues with this? Or is this all in my head? haha.

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    My legs alway look like someone is beating me... I bruise easily so I don't worry about it too much.
    It just doesn't look all that pretty :) I do all the same things - fluids, stretch, good shoes and i even take extra iron.
    Some people are just lucky! I woke up one morning with a bruise almost the entire length of my arm -- and I never felt a thing or woke up --- who knows.

If you are really worried or it gets worse, I would ask your doc.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's not all in your head, haha.
    I have the same problem but I generally have low iron.

My knees make me look like a *kitten* :x
  • juggalotus
    Options
    I have noticed that too. I get a lot of tiny little bruises around my inner thighs...I assumed it was from the stationary bike. Who knows, it probably is. But I was never like that before. I thought it was weird as well. They look like little finger marks.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    I get them often if i do burpees or working on olympic lifts (the bar is super close to my legs). Sometimes I just randomly get a bruise. If you're doing push ups on your knees that may be the cause.
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am COVERED in bruises!

Currently my entire right thigh is one big bruise.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    ive got arm bruises from walking planks, and have skinned my knees from girl pushups...so i got a thicker mat and all is better
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    When I'm running regularly, I have little bruises all over my legs. I don't know why it happens, but as soon as I pull back a little and do more walking the bruises will go away. So I guess high intensity workouts equal more bruising for me.
  • Cinnamonie
    Options
    I dunno if this is true but a quick google search says heavy lifting can cause bruising because of burst capillaries.... again not sure about that, or if those bruises would hurt like real bruises do or would be those painless bruises....

either way I get them too
  • vbowman_morris
    vbowman_morris Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I get bruises on my legs all the time. I thought it was kinda strange too. I have dropped a dumbbell a time or two on my thighs but most of it seems to come from the machines. I guess it will stop once I toughen up :)
  • elzianne
    elzianne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, guys! It sounds like a few of you have the same thing happen as me (little fingertip-size bruises around my leg, mostly at my knees, and usually when I'm on a training schedule for running). I was hoping there was a magic trick to get them to stop... but I'm just happy to know it's a relatively normal thing :)
  • AoiffeM
    Options
    So I get these all the time, but just on one leg. They mostly centre down the front of my leg, below my knee. More so when Im doing bootcamp style exercises as opposed to spinning. Does anyone know if there is something worth taking to help minimise the impact?
  • shaylalindi
    Options
    Ok I am glad to know that others are having a lot of bruising as well this only happens when I am hittting the gym hard and heavy, and I have had a very big one on my leg for about a month or so and it itches, anyone else experience this?
  • shaylalindi
    Options
    just wanna let everyone know that I have been taking an iron supplement and happy to report that my bruises are gone!!