Sodium & Sugar. My worst Enemies!

Options
I have been on MFP for a month now, I am doing great with my calories fat ect. BUT I seem to always go over on my sodium and sugar. :( So I guess what I am wondering is are there any low sodium and low sugar foods that are healthy for me to eat? I usually am eating about 1,300 of my allowed 1,580 calories a day, I am finding it super hard to get in all my needed calories without going way over in sodium and sugar. I walk 3 miles every night and I but about 350 calories so I would like to eat all of my 1,580 calories. Well now I am rambling lol So I'll just say any suggestions appreciated.

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    nuts (unsalted) or peanut butter (no sugar added)...however, I wouldn't put too much care into MFP's sugar limit. You could eat a few pieces of fresh fruit and go over.
  • healthy4self
    Options
    Simply Fiber cereal, oatmeal, vegetables
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I found that if I replaced my love of fruit with a LOT of green, leafy vegetables, it was easier. I had to replace the greek yogurt with cottage cheese. I have a higher protein balance (40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat), and THAT balance is easier to actually avoid hitting your sugar limits on. I also avoid adding sugar to almost anything (oatmeal is plain; tea is plan; etc.).

As for sodium... Discover the wonders of Mrs. Dash and herbs. Eat your vegetables raw. Be careful of things that are naturally high in sodium (seafood, tomatoes). DON'T EAT OUT!!! The sodium in restaurant food will destroy a lower-sodium diet. You pretty much HAVE to cook at home to control the sodium -- and cook from scratch. There simply isn't much that doesn't have too much salt, these days.
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Home cooked meals are your best friend in terms of sodium...you know exactly what you put in it. Check out allrecipes.com, there is a healthy section and you can modify any recipe into being a healthy one =)