Please define "interval training" in solid terms...

Options
Hi,
I've read several things on it, but wanted to know specifically if what I'm doing can be classed as "interval training." I'm quite fit, just need to shift the belly fat (about 20 lbs' worth, by my reckoning).

Here's what I do:
On the elliptical, I use the "random" function. At present, I'm in level 15 on it. My HR gets up to between 124-140 depending on where it is in the program. I do it for 30 mins - usually that's the max. Sometimes, if I'm rushed for time, it's only 20 mins but that's actually rare in comparison to the above. I do the random setting on elliptical about 4 times a week.

When my HR gets to be where it rarely rises about 124, I up it a level. That's how I've got to 15, of course.

I go forwards for 10 mins, back for 5-ish (which really revs up the HR), the forward for 5, then back for 5 and forward for the last 5. I try to keep the HR between 120-140, again, depending on where it is in the program.

Now, does the fact that the thing is on random (hilly random, I should clarify) make it interval training or do I have to make sure to go slow, then fast, then slow then fast (changing HR every so many minutes) more valuable than changing the tension in the elliptical?

I hope that makes sense. I tried it a couple of times in the "fat-burning" mode and although I could monitor the HR, after reading that calories eventually use the fat anyway at a higher intensity, decided to go back to the random mode.

BTW, my HR at 80% intensity should be about 140 and at "fat-burning" mode should be around 114, according to calculations. Thanks for any help! S.

Replies

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've read several things on it, but wanted to know specifically if what I'm doing can be classed as "interval training." I'm quite fit, just need to shift the belly fat (about 20 lbs' worth, by my reckoning).

Here's what I do:
    On the elliptical, I use the "random" function. At present, I'm in level 15 on it. My HR gets up to between 124-140 depending on where it is in the program. I do it for 30 mins - usually that's the max. Sometimes, if I'm rushed for time, it's only 20 mins but that's actually rare in comparison to the above. I do the random setting on elliptical about 4 times a week.

When my HR gets to be where it rarely rises about 124, I up it a level. That's how I've got to 15, of course.

I go forwards for 10 mins, back for 5-ish (which really revs up the HR), the forward for 5, then back for 5 and forward for the last 5. I try to keep the HR between 120-140, again, depending on where it is in the program.

Now, does the fact that the thing is on random (hilly random, I should clarify) make it interval training or do I have to make sure to go slow, then fast, then slow then fast (changing HR every so many minutes) more valuable than changing the tension in the elliptical?

I hope that makes sense. I tried it a couple of times in the "fat-burning" mode and although I could monitor the HR, after reading that calories eventually use the fat anyway at a higher intensity, decided to go back to the random mode.

BTW, my HR at 80% intensity should be about 140 and at "fat-burning" mode should be around 114, according to calculations. Thanks for any help! S.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There isn't really a solid definition, but there are important components:

A working period, which is high intensity (80-90%MHR)
    A recovery period, which is low intensity (65-75% MHR)
    A repetitive pattern, meaning you don't keep changing up your work:rest ratio
    A high enough overall intensity that the training session is relatively short

Other than that, you can really have your way with it. The working section should be equal to or longer than the resting section in most cases, but not all, and you should keep the same ratio for each set. So if you want 2 minutes of work and 1 minute of rest, keep it like that.

Your workout doesn't sound like interval training because you don't have a set work:rest ratio, and your heart rate is in pretty much the same place the entire time.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I walk/joginterval training but the source I use is from about.com. The have an elliptical interval training that may help. http://exercise.about.com/library/blellipticalinterval.htm
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you. It's now MUCH more clear and I'll do my best to change it up to true interval. I think that's where I'm going wrong.