Calcium??

Options
I realize I could google this (and I have thank you very much) but I am kind of curious if anyone on here can *recommend* some good, non milk product calcium sources (that also aren't supplements). I don't really like milk very much and I'm trying to eat less cheese, but I didn't realize until recently that I am woefully deficient in calcium. So any recommendations/advice would be fantastic! Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    greek yogurt? Has 20% in one serving :D
  • EmmaShorter
    Options
    Was going to say yogurt
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Fish with edible bones - tinned salmon, sardines
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    also recently discovered almond milk! Oh so yummy! 50% more calcium then regular milk. I also dont "drink" milk either. Love cheese though. But to make up for it I take emergen C with Calcium and Vitamin D every night. Dont know if you are willing to do that. I know that you said other then supplement but at least you drink it and your body is better able to absorb it then a pill. I have heard our bodies have a really HARD time absorbing calcium in a pill form
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sesame seeds and broccoli, from memory.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is low in fat and an excellent source of calcium. Some studies have shown that reduced fat dairy calcium actually helps to mobilise fat transit , so big yeah for cottage cheese and yoghurts (although I'm not fond of the latter)

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v12/n4/full/oby200467a.html