Help a sista out....HRM suggestions pls!

Options
Good Morning, Happy Friday to everyone!!

I am looking to purchase a Heart Rate Monitor today. Can anyone suggest a good brand. I was going to get one from Walmart or Target but they all looked so cheap and toy-like. Bottom-line: I don't have money to waste. Hoping this will be a one time purchase with effective results!

Thx in adv!!

Replies

• uhoh_billy
    Options
    I went to WalMart looking for one and couldn't find anything I could trust to accurately count calories burned for me, since they were all under $50 (CAD) and had no chest strap. I saved up a little extra (worked extra hours at work) and bought a Suunto M2 from SportChek for $130. A bit more than I wanted to spend but totally worth it! It tracks great, comes with the chest strap, and the watch is actually cute as a functional watch haha.
  • abbie017
    Options
    Anything by Polar should do the trick and be a good investment. Make sure you get a HRM with a chest strap; the ones without the strap are notoriously unreliable. I spent around $100 on my HRM, and it was the best investment I've made in a long time.
  • elzettel
    Options
    The Target by me carries a Polar FT4 and I would highly recommend. You could also check out a local sporting goods store. We have a Dunham's which (if you google it you can print one) puts out coupons for 10-20% off regular priced stuff each week--they also carry Polar. I've had mine for a little over a year and love it. Whatever you decide I'd make sure it has a chest strap--you're probably looking at a minimum of $80-$100 and they go up from there. Happy shopping!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Since you have internet access, why not buy online? I bought a Polar FT4(with chest strap) from Amazon.com for under 60.00 and I LOVE it!!!
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    I went to WalMart looking for one and couldn't find anything I could trust to accurately count calories burned for me, since they were all under $50 (CAD) and had no chest strap. I saved up a little extra (worked extra hours at work) and bought a Suunto M2 from SportChek for $130. A bit more than I wanted to spend but totally worth it! It tracks great, comes with the chest strap, and the watch is actually cute as a functional watch haha.

Woooooooo now, $130??
    Umm, does it do your workouts for you too??
    #imjustsayin!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 - I have one and I LOVE it. = )
  • Iwillshyne
    Options

Woooooooo now, $130??
    #imjustsayin!

Guess I spoke too soon. Had no idea a HRM wud be so expensive, but the more I read this thread the more I see that its a pretty costly investment.... So Touche <too shay> to you my friend!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4. $60, and does the job perfectly :D
  • uhoh_billy
    Options

Woooooooo now, $130??
    #imjustsayin!

Guess I spoke too soon. Had no idea a HRM wud be so expensive, but the more I read this thread the more I see that its a pretty costly investment.... So Touche <too shay> to you my friend!

Haha. Bazinga! Yeah it was a little much even for a HRM, since everyone here seems to find theirs for like 60 on Amazon but everywhere I looked online was sold out!
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find the right for me too. The only thing I can say is don't go with one of the cheap ones at Walmart! I did and it hurt my wrist and I had to stop to hold my finger on it for a reading. I took it back.