Question for BodyMedia Fit Users

Options
I recently purchased and began using a BodyMedia Fit device. I love it so far. I've used it about a little over a week now, and it's really helped me assess my activity levels. :bigsmile: Unfortunately, there seems to be irregularities during my workouts.

I used to utilize a Polar FT4 to calculate my calorie burns during workouts. I have been using the Polar and the BM at the same time to do a comparative analysis of the results. For high impact cardio like running, they are nearly spot on with each other, but on less high impact workouts, the BM reads over 100cal less than the Polar per 30 minute workout (i.e. Jillian Michaels DVDS). For a 30 minute Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 workout (essentially it is HIIT training), the Polar says I've burned 250-280 calories, but the BM says I've only burned 150-160 calories. :huh:

I think most people would agree that Jillian Michaels workouts are challenging, so I'm suspicious of my BM not registering the efforts required quite as accurately. I'd like to stop bothering with the Polar so much if I can. I've been tracking this difference for a week, so its not a fluke, and I've been wearing my armband properly.

Should I maybe leave the BM off during the lower impact workouts and log it as circuit training? Is the BM actually telling me accurately what is burning and my Polar has always over shot the burn? Help! :ohwell:

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    Options
    If it's the same as the bodybugg by Apex, which I think it is, it's far more accurate than your polar. You're going to burn a lot less calories during a weight workout.

Wear it every day. It's going to be the more accurate one.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The BM doesn't calculate your heart rate. It has a bunch of accelerometers in it and judges it based on movement. I think it might also have a moisture sensor so it knows how much you sweat. This is my beef with the BM and the BodyBug. I don't believe they can ever be as accurate as a good heart rate monitor. My friend who has a BodyBug disagrees, stating it's more accurate. I have a Polar FT7

But the way I see it, you track calories burned with age, weight, height, sex, and heart rate. The BM has all those pieces of data except your heart rate.

In my opinion, the HRM is going to be more accurate as long as it's worn properly. I wish they'd come out with one that takes your pulse on the arm or wrist however. Hate having to wear the strap when I work out!
  • Chelij
    Options
    I know what you mean. I think i remember reading somewhere that the BM isn't as effective with stuff like strength training. If you think about one of the parameters that BM uses, it's motion. When you aren't moving all over the place like higher impact/intensity exercises it seems to think you are just sitting there sweating. I'm not sure if it's accurate or not. I've ditched my HRM (i had the same one, after using it for 6 months it started having problems communicating with the transponder and then just stopped completely about a month ago. probably just needs a new battery, but i find the chest strap extremely uncomfortable). HRMs only use one parameter to measure calorie burn and the BM fit uses a few (4 i think?) so I'm more apt to believe that the BM is more accurate.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Interesting responses on both sides of the fence! I'd like to hear some more responses too!
  • juli3b2011
    juli3b2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The BM doesn't calculate your heart rate. It has a bunch of accelerometers in it and judges it based on movement. I think it might also have a moisture sensor so it knows how much you sweat. This is my beef with the BM and the BodyBug. I don't believe they can ever be as accurate as a good heart rate monitor. My friend who has a BodyBug disagrees, stating it's more accurate. I have a Polar FT7

But the way I see it, you track calories burned with age, weight, height, sex, and heart rate. The BM has all those pieces of data except your heart rate.

In my opinion, the HRM is going to be more accurate as long as it's worn properly. I wish they'd come out with one that takes your pulse on the arm or wrist however. Hate having to wear the strap when I work out!

I agree with you...feel the HRM is more accurate. I can lift for quite a stretch and there's no way my bodybugg numbers are accurate...since it doesn't recognize a lot of movement, the estimate is low.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Mine did that, I had to replace the battery in the transmitter and it's like brand new again! First one lasted about 6 months