Bra sizing

Options
OMG, please help me someone!
I need new bras so have just measured myself and used 3 different sizing calculators online and have got 3 different results!!
I have been wearing UK size 46 D for ages but starting to feel a bit big now and have lost 40lbs since 1st May so I would have thought I would have been a bit smaller. One says I'm STILL 46 D, another says I should be 46 C and the third one says 42 D!
I'm putting exactly the same measurements in all of them but still getting different results!
Can someone please tell me what my size should be?
In inches I am 41 under bust, 48 bust and 44 over bust.
Please don't tell me to go and get measured in a shop because I seriously do not have the time to do that!
Thank you
Px

The only time I can get to a shop is on a Sunday when most of them are closed! Unless you can recommend a UK shop that is open on a Sunday, PLEASE do not tell me to go and get measured at a shop!! Thank you :smile:

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Getting measured in a shop takes about 10 minutes.

Lots of shops are open on Sundays. You could get measured at La Senza or M&S.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

This. Even if you don't want to buy one from that shop (I am cheap and get mine at Target) you can get an accurate size, then purchase one wherever you fancy.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options

Thats about the time it will take to rifle through all the bras to find a bra you like when you know what size you are! "D
  • FitHitTheShan80
    Options
    I know you said NOT to tell you to go to a shop but in the end it is your best bet and will save you alot of time and frustration...take it from someone who had the same problem! :0) Best wishes!
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I can't order bras online without tring them on. They all fit differently. I have wasted so much money doing it that way.

Which can be difficult when tring to find bras that fit in the stores. I wear 38DDD- 40DD. It really depends on the brand and style. I hate underwrires. I just can't wear them. and I can't ever find sports bras that work well.

Very frustrating!

Good luck, but personally I would try them on first, then order them.
  • stllrm
    Options
    Here's the thing...all bra brands measure differently. There is no standard measurement for bras. So you'll either have to try on a whole bunch and see what fits for each brand and style, or get measured and have someone who knows what they're doing help you out with all that. It's worth it to get measured, I promise! I just had to get new ones myself. =)
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Bra size will depend on the manufacturer too. Or you are in between sizes which is why you are getting different results. For me, after the weight loss, I went from 36D to 34 C but latched on the very first hook. However, I can also fit in a 36C but latched/hooked on the very last hook. I say go to a good bra store and have them measure you and try on different sizes.
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Bras are like clothes.. at the mo I have a 36G on but I also have 32 JJ's depends on style and how you like to wear yours. I have been to different shops and they all say something differnet.

Its one of those things that you just have to try before you buy.
  • shipwreck3
    Options
    I personally would buy the bigger size bra. If its too big, u can take it in with a simple pleat.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    All brands and styles are made differently .I mean they could be all the same size but all fit different. Its hard but they are very hard to pick out. I have a awlful time. Take the time and get measured it will save alot of time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    OMG, please help me someone!
    I need new bras so have just measured myself and used 3 different sizing calculators online and have got 3 different results!!
    I have been wearing UK size 46 D for ages but starting to feel a bit big now and have lost 40lbs since 1st May so I would have thought I would have been a bit smaller. One says I'm STILL 46 D, another says I should be 46 C and the third one says 42 D!
    I'm putting exactly the same measurements in all of them but still getting different results!
    Can someone please tell me what my size should be?
    In inches I am 41 under bust, 48 bust and 44 over bust.
    Please don't tell me to go and get measured in a shop because I seriously do not have the time to do that!
    Thank you
    Px

The only time I can get to a shop is on a Sunday when most of them are closed! Unless you can recommend a UK shop that is open on a Sunday, PLEASE do not tell me to go and get measured at a shop!! Thank you :smile:

about 95%of shops are open on a sunday... M&S will measure you, and it takes about 5 minutes.... surely its worth the time instead of buying ones that u find dont fit and having to them back another day.....
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes, go get fitted in a shop and try on bras there-- if you find a good place (here in the US, Nordstrom's is awesome), they will fit you into specific bras on site after taking measurements.
    I did this about two months ago and I've never been so happy with a bra in my life. It's comfortable and supportive, and a whole new world from before. I had been wearing the size all along! I was wearing a 48C and after my fitting, I'm in a 42D.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I was in the same situation a few weeks ago when looking for bras. I found a site which I really liked, they are a US based company and I think (but not 100% sure) that they ship over seas. I ordered a few bras from them and was extremely pleased with them. Here is the site www.herroom.com

They also have a step by step bra fitting guide (with video!) that could be found here
    http://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html

They have so many different sizes, even the hard to find sizes.

Hope this helps a bit.
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If those are accurate measurements then your cup size is determined by the difference in inches from your chest (under your breasts) and the fullest part of your bust. You have a 41 in chest so you would buy a 42 and there is a 7in difference so your cup size would probably be around a G or F with most bra manufacturers. However sizes differ between brands so if you are positive about your measurements then you can just ask the sales lady. I just recently had the best luck buying a bra on the net. (Most stores don't carry my cup size.)
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Which can be difficult when tring to find bras that fit in the stores. I wear 38DDD- 40DD. It really depends on the brand and style. I hate underwrires. I just can't wear them. and I can't ever find sports bras that work well.

Very frustrating!

I hear you on the sports bra thing. I am larger chested as well. Quite frankly a lot of the sports bras I find in stores do not keep the girls in place when I am working out and this can be very uncomfortable. I know you said you cannot buy bras online but I found a site I love. www.herroom.com I have ordered quite a few from there and they all fit perfectly. While browsing the site I came across one sports bra, when I read the name I almost spit my water on my keyboard. It's called "The Shock Absorber"! I have never heard of such a thing. I read the reviews and they were favorable. I am considering purchasing it but at the same time I cringe at the thought of spending $59 on a bra. Especially when I am losing weight, my body is changing and who knows how long that bra will fit me for...

Here is the link to it if you are interested http://www.herroom.com/shock-absorber-n109-d-max-support-sports-bra.shtml
  • FitMissVicky
    FitMissVicky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I have to agree that going to a shop to be measured is the only way to find out what your size is. Let the staff find the ones for you to try on and fit you properly. It will not take long and it will be worth it to find the right size. It's a small investment of time with a big payoff.

Do not go to Victoria's Secret; they just don't have the size range for folks who need larger cup sizes

As for sports bras for us women who need to curb the jiggle I do recommend the Shock Absorber and also Freya sports bras. They have good sizing and they work really well
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't trust bra sizes unless it is a brand and style I've purchased before. I try them on in the dressing room to see what fits just like I do other clothes.
  • Elaineheikura
    Elaineheikura Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do you have the store Change out there?
    It is a great bra store, and the staff have you fitted perfectly.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I go to the store and just try on different sizes and styles and buy which ones fit best. I used to wear 40DD and 40D..now I wear 36D, 36DD, and even 38D in all different types. I don't really go by my actual size anymore but rather what fits best.

You say you have no time to go get measured???? Well, when you go to a store to buy them, don't you have to try them on? That takes time too... Unless you're buying online but then you need to get professionally measured... I'm sorry but when you have a bigger chest you need to put more time and effort into buying a good fitting bra bc we all know how hard it can be living with a big chest and crappy bras.

Lane Bryant Cacique has awesome bras for bigger girls... they start at 38, I got an amazing push up bra there, it's a teeny tad too big in the cup but still fits great.

Everyone is just going to tell you to go to a shop no matter what you say so... you might as well just go and try some on or get measured. At a shop.
  • almaaisling
    Options
    You are very likely a 42G/DDDD. If you've got an 8 inch difference between your rib cage and full bust, there is absolutely no way that you're D cup.

I wear a weird size too. It is beyond totally worth it to get the right size.

http://www.lindasonline.com/bra-fitting-calculator.html