Just figured out exactly why I stopped losing weight.

Options
I was not eating ANYWHERE near enough. My diary may say otherwise, but I just bought myself a gift - a HRM - and even though everyone says MFP gives too many cals burned my hrm said I burned 250 cals in just my 15 min weights session so no wonder it stopped as i've been saying my whole session has been the same amount of cals i burn in 15 mins!!

gonna see what happens when i start eating more :)

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    OMG! Thats great! At least you figured it out! I am awaiting my hrm in the mail and I am SO EXCITED!!!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I was not eating ANYWHERE near enough. My diary may say otherwise, but I just bought myself a gift - a HRM - and even though everyone says MFP gives too many cals burned my hrm said I burned 250 cals in just my 15 min weights session so no wonder it stopped as i've been saying my whole session has been the same amount of cals i burn in 15 mins!!

250 cals burned in a 15 min session with weights?
  • stardust72
    Options
    Hi, can i ask what a HRM is?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

250 cals burned in a 15 min session with weights?

You may not believe me but I use pretty big weights and am quite unfit...
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I sooo want an HRM!!!
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    HRM= Heart Rate Monitor
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    250 calories in 15 minutes sounds awfully high.

What kind of HRM did you get?
  • 4cookiesmom
    Options
    Glad you figured it out. Someone told me a long time ago if you are not eating enough, then your body kicks into survival mode and you won't lose the weight. I need to invest in a HRM. I already use a pedometer for motivation. I think a HRM would be a great asset as well. There are so many out there and every time I start to look at them I get completely overwhelmed. I just need to do a little research.
  • lucillebluth
    lucillebluth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are using big weights and are unfit? This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Do you have help at the gym? Heart rate monitors are notorious for giving high reads. I would look at your diet first.
  • stardust72
    Options
    Oh right thats what a hrm is :-) i feel kind of stupid now lol
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Good you figured that out! True for me, too. Last year i tried severly dieting and lost only one pound in 3 months. MFP made it obvious i wasnt eating enough. I followed that plan and ate the exercise calories back. 100-200 over or under is as good as "under the calorie goal"

First, I got a HRM and was burning more than the database. I ate my calories back and lost weight. Several times along the way as I got 2/3 done, etc... I needed to eat more. As I gained muscle and got closer to goal I lost less fast and needed to eat more. I have one pound left and switched to maintenance, and it's inching lower on the scale. Eat the exercise calories! As you get closer to goal consider switching to 1 lb a week, and eventually 1/2 pound a week. Worst that can happen? You maintain.

You will love the HRM. I will burn about as much as you say doing circuit training, but only if I'm doing cardio intervals with it.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My HRM gives me about double the reading that My Fitness Pal says so I normally go with My Fitness Pal.
  • patrick77327
    Options
    I need to get me a HRM too so be more accurate on the calories burned. Everyone is different on the rate they loose weight and people are very skeptical on eating back the burned calories burned and at first weight loss drops, but after the body figures out what's happening, it goes into starvation mode and really slows down the metabolism. By eating back the calories burned, the body's metabolism will keep up at a pace to keep losing weight. Sounds odd that by eating more food will cause you to keep losing weight, but the body has a very good defense mechanism to keep itself from starving.
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    On the other side, I've found that MFP overestimates the calorie burn of my runs (based on my Garmin calorie readings.)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    You are using big weights and are unfit? This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Do you have help at the gym? Heart rate monitors are notorious for giving high reads. I would look at your diet first.

These weights have all been approved by my PT to use. P.S i'm not REALLY unfit (i just still see myself as that), and i have worked my way up. i think it is just cos i weigh so much that i burn so many. i dunno
  • rml_16
    Options

These weights have all been approved by my PT to use. P.S i'm not REALLY unfit (i just still see myself as that), and i have worked my way up. i think it is just cos i weigh so much that i burn so many. i dunno

I ask again, what kind of HRM did you get? Even weighing a lot, that is a LOT of calories in that amount of time, especially for lifting.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    polar ft7
  • kailisa2000
    kailisa2000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I discovered this same thing after I got my Body Bugg. I burn, on average, 3000 calories per day.I'm glad you were able to figure it out!
  • rml_16
    Options
    polar ft7

Thanks.

That's a good brand, so I guess go with what it says. But that still seems awfully high, so if you have trouble losing (if you eat back the calories), you may want to reassess.
  • emlavigne
    emlavigne Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I workout with the Garmin Forerunner 210. The calorie output from my HRM is actually lower than MFP. Everyone's metabolism is different and is constantly changing if you're dieting/working out. It could be an accurate read, but double check that you set up your HRM with your info correctly. I agree with some of the folks on here in that 250 calories for 15mins of weights does sound high, but if you've already put on some muscle...maybe it's correct. All that being said, you're definitely on to something if think that you're not eating enough! It can prohibit weight loss.

Good luck! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!