How fast can you run a mile?

Options
How fast can you run a mile? And how experienced are you? Do you have any tips for improving time?

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    when i run on the treadmill i just have a 300cal burn limit and aim to do it faster everytime and push myself harder..

edit: today i got to 16.5mph (keep in mind i do it in intervals) and i get up 0.5/1mph each time i go
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    No running here, but walk one in about 15:50.
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    cant run a mile yet can walk it at mod pace about 15 min
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner...takes me about 14:30 to run a mile. =)
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    If you want to get faster ... start with run walk. Suprisingly enough the walking actually allows you to run faster and then work on building up.

My fastest yet is 12:56
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I average an 8 min pace when I run ,havent tried an all out mile time in a long time...the kenyans do 400m sprints to improve their times though..
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm a run/walker and if I am only doing 1 mile I can do it in about 11:30 (although this was my time about 2 months ago - I may have improved my speed). I've been running for 3 years, but I just became a run/walker in May.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    well i've never really put the pedal to the medal sorta speak to see how fast I can do it but I average about 8.5mph/mile....tips on improving time...the last minute push yourself to run as fast as you can.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Not sure since I haven't timed myself on just running a mile. I average about 8:30 per mile on most of my 3 mile runs.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    If I push myself really hard I can get under 10 mins... right around 9:45-9:50. However, my comfort zone is around 10-10:15 for short runs. For my long runs (anything over 6 miles) I stay around 10:45-11.
    I've been running for 2+ years. I started out weighing 230 lbs and barely able to run 15 seconds at a very slow pace. I am currently 165lbs. I may not be super speedy but my pace has definitely increased.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've been running for months and the best mile I've ever done is just under 10 minutes. I am NOT a runner, no matter how hard I push myself. I've decided that you can either excel in the weight room or in cardio exercises, but it's a rare person who excells in both.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think 8:06 has been my fastest so far.
    I started running last summer and got kinda serious about it in January and did a 1/2 marathon in May and going for another one in 3 weeks.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have terrible shin splints, so I "run" on the elliptical. I am up to an average of eight and a half minutes per mile. I don't know if there is a secret to getting faster, but I started at 11.5 min per mile. I just stick with it and seem to get faster that way.
  • kell_riley
    Options
    i'm usually around the 10min mile time. altho i've not been running for a few weeks as been on holiday.
    Improving your speed is best dont doing interval training, it builds up indurance and speed. I've been running since march, so not too experienced really.
  • kailisa2000
    kailisa2000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing up the C25K and after a 30 minute run my average is 12:45 minutes per mile. I'm a very inexperienced runner, having never ran a day in my life before the program. :) If I were to run just a mile it would probably be faster, but probably still no better than 12 minutes per mile. The program has drastically increased my endurance and speed.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My fastest mile has been around 7:45. That was hard for me and I'm not very experienced either. Do alot of different types of run to build speed. Hill repeats, trail running, and etc.
  • dharma4U
    Options
    When I first decided to live a healthy life, I quit 15 years of smoking and couldn't run 1/4 mile without feeling like my heart would explode! After about two months, I ran my first mile in 12:15 and was so proud of myself. I decided to build up to a 5K race. I ran my first 5K on Thanksgiving day 2010 in 37:38. My next 5K I ran in 32:13. Today, I'm signing up for an 8K in VA Beach on March 17, 2012 and I'm running an average of 9:50 for my mile. My goal is to run a consistent 9:30 by race day.

The biggest piece of this puzzle for me was to learn that I DIDN'T CARE what everyone else could do. I had to do MY BEST and that was what mattered. Even if you run a mile in 25:00, YOU STILL RAN IT! Be proud of every accomplishment that is YOURS.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I started running one year ago using the c25k program. I couldn't run at all! after completing the program my fastest mile was 9:37 now my fastest recorded mile is 7:07. Keep at it. Time helps, so does speedwork and hill running.
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I don't run for distance I run based on how many minutes I can run steady. so far it's 7 min at 5.0 mph. If that helps.
  • tigers975
    Options
    I do traithlons so Iam running 3 to 4 times a week. During a sprint tri, my average is between a 7:30 to 8:00 min/mile. During weekly speed workouts I have pushed it as fast as a 6:14 min/mile for a mile split. just to see what I was capable of doing. At this point for me its better to do slower, longer endurace distance runs.

I agree though, regardless of your speed, just get out and run OR even do a run/walk combo mix workout. This is what I had to do to recover from a stress fracture of my leg last winter.

Be active, Be happy!