Hey girls -- what's your daily calorie goal??

Options
Hey folks! I’m looking for a little help here. I am 5’ 8” and weigh 163 and would love to hear some daily calorie goals for girls around my size/weight. I ate about 1200 and worked out for an hour about four days a week for a month and did not lose a single pound. I thought I might have been eating too few calories so I bumped it up to 1500 per day and increased my exercise a little to make up for it. I’ve been doing this for a month and have only lost a pound.

I understand that water weight and TOM make it hard to see a steady weight decline but it would help to know what others around my size and weight have found to work for them.

So, what’s your height and daily calorie goal? Thanks!!

Replies

• kleverkira
    kleverkira Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So far I've had success with MFP's calorie goals for me. I'm 5'3" and 135-140 lbs, trying to lose 15-20 lbs. My baseline is around 1300, not including calories I earn from exercise. I also have a job where I'm on my feet a lot. This seems to be working for me to where I don't feel like I'm low-energy or starving but I'm still accountable for my eating.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I set my base at 1200, then I eat back my exercise calories.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing?

I just eat my BMR (17something) because I have essentially no daily schedule, can't count on working out, hubby's disabled and son is special needs. Lots of times I don't get online but once a day, because someone else is using the computer (usually using it as a TV cause we don't have one of those) so having more calories makes it easier on me since I don't have to sit in front of the computer figuring out what I can still eat for the day. Since BMR is what I burn just existing, that makes everything I do count as if I were exercising. I know, not as healthy, buts my BMR's already 400 calories under my maintenance, so I'm already at a deficit, so getting up and moving is just a bonus for me as far as calorie burn.
  • ramblingirl
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and weigh 163. My daily cal intake is 1100. None of my calories come from bread or pasta. I have been losing anywhere between 1/2 lb-3 lbs a week since August 1.
  • shindychan
    Options
    Not a single pound lost? Weird. Have you tried measuring yourself to see if you are losing inches? Its possible you are just gaining muscle. What exactly are you eating? Is it high fat or high carb food?

I eat about 1000-1200 calories a day.. exercise for at least 45 min everyday. I've lost about 13 pounds total in about 6 weeks. 8pounds thanks to MFP.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Hey folks! I’m looking for a little help here. I am 5’ 8” and weigh 163 and would love to hear some daily calorie goals for girls around my size/weight. I ate about 1200 and worked out for an hour about four days a week for a month and did not lose a single pound. I thought I might have been eating too few calories so I bumped it up to 1500 per day and increased my exercise a little to make up for it. I’ve been doing this for a month and have only lost a pound.

I understand that water weight and TOM make it hard to see a steady weight decline but it would help to know what others around my size and weight have found to work for them.

So, what’s your height and daily calorie goal? Thanks!!

I am 5'7" and 165. I am breastfeeding so my intake it a little higher at 1700 cals. If I weren't nursing my goal would be 1390. This is to lose 1lb per week. Also, I eat the majority of my exercise calories back. If you're not eating your exercise calories back, try doing so. If you already are, try not eating them or only eating half to see if that helps.
  • zaiikaa
    zaiikaa Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm 5'8. I started off with a month or two of 1200/day, but hit a plateau about halfway to my goal. plus i was going crazy because that just wasn't enough food for me. I increased to 1400/day and started eating my exercise calories and was able to go the rest of the way. I was doing about 45min cardio per day during this time, and logged it as about 150 calories burned (I'm very skeptical of what machines tell me I burned and used an online calculator based on my weight, and then lowballed that figure even more). so about 1550 calories/day + 45 min of intense exercise got me to my goal weight. :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", started MFP around 160. I know weight 149. I eat between 1800-2500 calories a day including ALL my exercise calories. You have to feed your body before it'll give up it's last remaining fat stores.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    @ivyjbres I love your ticker picture! haha
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3", 146lbs, aiming for around 125. I try to net around 1200 calories.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and 184 pounds right now. MFP gives me 1600 calories a day and I eat back exercise calories for the most part (when I excersize!!). I would try eating back those exercise calories and see if that makes a difference. Also, I notice way more weight loss when I cut out alcohol and dairy, not sure if those things are part of your regular diet.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", and when I started here at MFP I weighed 165lbs. I started on a 1200 cal/day diet and ended up losing TOO much weight too quickly so I adjusted my goals and ate around 1390 cals/day plus my exercise calories. That brought the weight loss to a healthier pace, closer to the 1lb/week I was shooting for then. When I had 10lbs left to go, I switched to .5 lb/week and started eating 1530 cals/day plus my exercise calories (so usually around 1700-1800 a day).

While the number of calories you eat is important, I also found my weight came off a lot better once I started cutting processed foods out of my diet. I try to eat as clean as possible, keep my sodium under 1500mgs a day, and my protein intake about 100 gs a day at least. That keeps me feeling full so I don't feel the need to binge! I can't see your diary but I highly suggest trying to cut back on processed or pre-made foods if you're still eating a lot of them. You might find that eating better quality foods is the push your body needs to start shedding the lbs!
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    I am around 5'7" and my daily goal USE to be 1490. I was eating that much everyday and working out about 6 days a week. Anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. After doing that for an entire month, I didn't lose one pound. NOT ONE POUND WHAT SO EVER. I opened my food diary and asked someone to take a look (a beach body coach and fitness trainer) and give me an opinion. I was told I was eating great foods, but just eating TOO MANY CALORIES. I was stuck at 151. I couldn't for the life of me even lose that 1 lb to be an even 150. So their advice was to lower my daily goal just a tad bit. I also stopped exercising so much because I wasn't dropping the weight, I was gaining muscle. I know that muscle is great, but my goal is to lose the weight FIRST and then work on muscle tone and definition. After decreasing my daily goal to 1300 and working out like 3 days a week, I lost 3 lbs and got past the 151 number FINALLY! Boy was I glad to step on the scale and see a different number! I am now 148 and my goal is to reach 130. The closer I get to my goal the harder it is, but I'm up for the challenge.