Extreme workout calories burned???

Options
Today we started our training classes for the full and half marathon outside. The roads were icy and the temperature was -5, not sure what it was with the windshield factor. Wind was fairly mild.

I have been running for over 4 years. This year I am acting as a mentor/trainer for the training group. So our job is to encourage runners, navigate for the runners and answer questions. The course was icy and we had to dress in layers. I dd out and backs around the runners. Ensuring everyone was doing o.k. and no one was getting lost. I figured I ran about 6 miles.

I am working with the half group. I waited around for the full group to get in and did stretches and answered questions. Once everyone was in, I than rode the indoor bike for 30 minutes to loosen up and warm up. I recorded my calories burned per the website. However I think the extended period of time for the workout, running with more weight from the layers and navigating the cold and ice may have burned more calories. I tried to stick to my 1200 + workout calories today and feel like I am starving myself.

As mentioned above, I have been running for over 4 years. This is my first time during training that I am keeping track of what I am eating. I would like to trim down a few pounds to run lighter and also ensure I am replacing the correct nutrients into my body. I have had many days after hard works out like this, that it seemed I could not get enough to eat. In the past I made sure I was getting plenty too eat to keep my strength up. I would loose a few pounds during the training season, from just the exercise.

However, this is the first time trying to align my outtake and intake. Did I burn more than I think I did, this feels like starvation? :noway:

In the first 10 days of tracking this, my suggested goal calories have been very close or slightly over and I have lost 3 1/2 pounds. Your input is greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• Sheri4MS
    Sheri4MS Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Today we started our training classes for the full and half marathon outside. The roads were icy and the temperature was -5, not sure what it was with the windshield factor. Wind was fairly mild.

I have been running for over 4 years. This year I am acting as a mentor/trainer for the training group. So our job is to encourage runners, navigate for the runners and answer questions. The course was icy and we had to dress in layers. I dd out and backs around the runners. Ensuring everyone was doing o.k. and no one was getting lost. I figured I ran about 6 miles.

I am working with the half group. I waited around for the full group to get in and did stretches and answered questions. Once everyone was in, I than rode the indoor bike for 30 minutes to loosen up and warm up. I recorded my calories burned per the website. However I think the extended period of time for the workout, running with more weight from the layers and navigating the cold and ice may have burned more calories. I tried to stick to my 1200 + workout calories today and feel like I am starving myself.

As mentioned above, I have been running for over 4 years. This is my first time during training that I am keeping track of what I am eating. I would like to trim down a few pounds to run lighter and also ensure I am replacing the correct nutrients into my body. I have had many days after hard works out like this, that it seemed I could not get enough to eat. In the past I made sure I was getting plenty too eat to keep my strength up. I would loose a few pounds during the training season, from just the exercise.

However, this is the first time trying to align my outtake and intake. Did I burn more than I think I did, this feels like starvation? :noway:

In the first 10 days of tracking this, my suggested goal calories have been very close or slightly over and I have lost 3 1/2 pounds. Your input is greatly appreciated!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    On average, small people burn about 100 calories per mile, and larger people can burn up to 150 calories per mile. Since you've been running so long, you'll be closer to the 100 mark since you're very efficient.

If you recorded your exercise, you should have more than 1200 calories to eat. You need to eat the 1200 baseline plus the calories from the workout, which would be around 600 calories. How many are you allotted for the day? Keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with eating more on a day that you feel really drained. You should never feel like you're starving yourself. Watch your times and see if they suffer any. :flowerforyou:
  • Sheri4MS
    Sheri4MS Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input.

I was calculating 100 calories a mile and am at a baseline of 1,200. So I took the 1,200 plus the totals from biking and running. Which was around 2,000 total, however after reaching 2,000 calories I was still really hungry.

I did some research and found that you do burn more calories in the colder weather, as your body is trying to warm the air going into your lungs. It is estimated you could burn between 10 & 13% more calories. This calculation could be used when running in extreme cold and wind, which would be the case of yesterday. I also starting thinking about the course, and realized we were on the bike paths and going under quite a few bridges therefore the course was more up and down than I usually run. Normally running down hill would be considered easier, however with the icy terrain, it was taking alot more work skating the course.

I also learned that when you get really cold and shiver you are burning calories. Meaning when I completed my run yesterday and was waiting around for others runners to finish, I was actually burning calories trying to keep myself warm. I guess that would make since.

When I trained for my first marathon our group trainer told us to drink a slim fast immediately after a long hard run, not for weight loss but for replenishing nutrients into your body quickly. Which I would do often after doing 10 miles or more.

So factoring in the above, I did burn more calories than I calculated and the work out was harder than I gave myself credit for. I should have drank the slim fast, and my body was doing a good job letting me know I was not making the best food choices for what it needed. Great lesson to learn and grow from.

Today is my day of resting my body and muscles. No exercising, but I did take the tree and decorations down. I feel good and had too remind myself to eat to keep the balance steady, as I was not hungry.