NSV: First Kipping Pull Up!

raaynes
raaynes Posts: 58
edited October 2 in Success Stories
Hey all! After three weeks of technique lessons and building my upper body strength in Crossfit classes, I finally did my first Kipping Pull up! It was exciting, and I wanted to keep doing more. I was so motivated to finally see tangible progress!

My arms hurt now, but in such a great way.

Any one else a Crossfitter? :)

Replies

• cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Congrats!!!!

I still haven't been able to do one. I have a lot of trouble doing them with the bands, too.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Awesome! I still feel like I could probably use work on the technique of kipping. Like I think I can, but I doubt it is pretty to see. Keep up all of your great work!
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Your my hero!!

I am at the end of the recovery phase of P90X month one... I am hoping I can do one this time next month.

Good job!!
  • is this a "kip up" like in gymnastics...where you swing your feet to the bar then pull up to your waist??? anyway congrats...
  • Thanks everyone!

Drmomm - not quite, it's a swinging hip motion that helps you do more pull ups because you use momentum instead of dead-weight pull ups. It does take coordination though. :)
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    WTG!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I've been doing Crossfit for a year and I can BARELY do one. Good job! That's quite some upper body strength!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    18 months almosst and still not able to kip... My box doesn't allow bands so it's all about training the muscles to get strong without them. I did however buy my own bands and recently purchased a pull up bar... So I WILL PRACTICE and get that durned dreaded kip.

Come join us on the CF thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/337245-community-for-crossfitters-by-crossfitters-anyone-interes
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Great job on the NSV!

I spent some time at the gym today trying to learn how to kip... My plan is to practice the kipping as part of my warm up all the time.
  • lackielack
    lackielack Posts: 3 Member
    is this a "kip up" like in gymnastics...where you swing your feet to the bar then pull up to your waist??? anyway congrats...

This is the first thing I thought too!

Congrats to the OP!! I am working towards that as well.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Just checked this out cos I had no idea what it was. Awsome video on youtube . I salute the OP on being able to do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!