plateau or just not doing something right?

Options
Im wondering if there is something I am doing wrong. At first I thought I was doing good and then now I am gaining weight while using same methods I used to lose the first 18 lbs. I consume 1200 calories a day and walk 2 miles each day. from Aug 5 til Sept 18 I had lost 18 lbs. I am now gaining weight and up 2 lbs. hmmm?

Just for some background, I am not on my period as that was last week(the week of the 18th) I have not changed my diet except adding a fiber suppliment (could this be it?)

This is very discouraging :(

HELP

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you open up your food diary, we'll be able to offer better advice. Without knowing what you're eating or how many calories you're burning through exercise, it's rather hard to offer anything but general suggestions to help you out!
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    sometimes your body has to catch up so don't get discouraged.
    Some things I try when I get to a plateau:
    1.Drink more water at least a gallon a day
    2. Increase your activity change what you are doing
    3. Eat every 2 to 3 hours stay prepared with a healthy snack- apple slices-celery protein drink,etc this keeps up my metabolism
    Hope this helps..
    Melva
  • Glam0809
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. Consider changing up your routine. Increase the speed and/or distance. I've lost 10 lbs. over 2 week period and I've kept with the same routine; eating healthy, exercising, not going over the calorie intake. After two weeks, I became discouraged as I wasn't losing any more weight. I now have increased my cardio and for the month of October I plan to do the 30DS along with my usual routine.
  • pattymartin2010
    Options
    bump
  • mcninja77
    mcninja77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I will change up my routine.. I have opened my food diary. I was using a different app prior to the Sept 16. Calorie counter plus. I didnt start recording my walking until a few days ago so please figure that in.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    1 week isn't a plateau

and what's your ht/wt? lots of exercise + a big deficit can actually work against you in some cases
  • mcninja77
    Options
    5'5" and weight is 204
  • Acg67
    Options
    then 1200 cals seems a little low to me. you could most likely eat upwards of ~1800ish and still lose weight.
  • mcninja77
    Options
    Wow that is alot more than I have been. Only thing is that I usually meet the daily allowance for carbs and sugars during the day at only 1200 calories, is it okay to go over on those ? or should I change what I am currently eating to less carbs and less sugars?

Im still so confused and trying to learn the trick.

Thanks
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I agree. I would try adding 100-300 more calories a day and see how that works. 1200 isn't a lot when you are exercising.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Wow that is alot more than I have been. Only thing is that I usually meet the daily allowance for carbs and sugars during the day at only 1200 calories, is it okay to go over on those ? or should I change what I am currently eating to less carbs and less sugars?

Im still so confused and trying to learn the trick.

Thanks

imo the most important macro to hit is protein, you'd prob want to shoot for at least 100g a day, higher is prob better

you can bump up your cals and some initial water retention may be seen but that should go away in a day or two
  • knetterk
    Options
    bump!