Hunger

Options
Counting calories may be fine and also helpful in losing weight. But ultimately, counting of calories is only approximate. Another important factor might be the assessment of hunger levels.
Even though I might have reached the calorie goal for the day, I should be able to eat more if I am feeling hungry.

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    And how's that working for you??
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    If you choose the right foods you could eat all day long and not be hunger. Try avoiding those foods that got you to this point for awhile.
  • MThurs
    MThurs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One thing is for sure and that is that all calories are not created equal - the calories in a hot fudge sundae will be high and I can have the same # of calories in lean protein/veggies/carb and get more food and stay satiatied longer.

If I find that I am hungry a handful of raw almonds goes a long way - 3 oz of lean turkey - carrots/cukes/celery - shoot a TBSP of Metamucil in water can bulk up fill me.

Just something to consider . . .
  • papa5280
    Options
    One of the things that resonates with me is that hunger is your body's way of saying that it's starting to dig into its fat supply. I've embraced the hunger as a sign of achievement, rather than a problem. In other words...a little hunger means that you are changing your body, and it's working.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Without getting scientific about it (because i'm no scientist), if the goal here is to lose weight, you have to draw the line somewhere that is at least somewhat based in numbers/stats/fact/etc. Drawing it at hunger isn't a great idea...people get hungry for lots of reasons, some of the more common ones being boredom or to deal with/avoid emotional stuff. If one were to rely on hunger as an indicator for needing to eat, the weight would likely pile on. I mean...that's what likely got many of us here in the first place (those of us trying to lose, not gain weight).
  • rbolt2
    Options
    I agree, food choices are key. Obviously don't starve your body if you feel that much hunger, but maybe look at what's is consuming your calories and see what you can do to adjust the foods you eat to get the most benefit for your body! Good luck