Buyer Beware: Serving differences!

When we are shopping and looking at the labels of our food, as well as when we are tracking our food we must be very cautious of the serving size. As it appears, the serving size is left to the company that produces the food, and is not necessarily a constant between the same kinds of food.

servingmanipulation1.jpgservingmanipulation2.jpg

These are the nutritional information labels for two boxes of cereal. At first glance the cereal on the left has just a few more calories than the one on the right, but if you look closer, the cereal on the left has a serving size of 1 cup and the one on the right is 2/3 cup. A typical bowl will hold about two cups. That makes the cereal on the left 220 calories and the one on the right 300. Both of these cereals have their benefits and drawbacks, however It shows the importance of paying attention to the labels as well as counting exactly how many servings we are taking in.

I have to admit to being a bit dismayed that my new cereal was not less calories, since I had not payed sufficient attention to the serving size before purchase. It's not a big deal in this case, but in other cases it could lead to improper tracking of calories or an unexpected increase in calories when you put the food in.

I hope this helps!

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Also, weigh your cereal! 1 cup is way different at different stages of the box.
  • Bonolover24
    Bonolover24 Posts: 2 Member
    I find myself spending HOURS at the grocery store comparing calories, serving sizes and other nutritional facts...in addition to comparing prices. Shopping has turned into an all-day activity!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I always look at the serving size for something before I buy it. Some things aren't worth the calories for the small amount of food you're going to get. Other foods, I was shocked at how much the serving size really was when I measured it (rice sticks out in my mind).

I measure it out too - I don't just fill the bowl.
  • JakeNonne
    JakeNonne Posts: 74 Member
    Great post! Thanks for the head's up.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    I agree, each company can choose different sizes for their serving information, but as I have continued to think more about my health, I am more likely to choose something that has less sugar and sodium per serving. I can tell right now I would never buy either of those cereals. I know my comment is a bit off topic, but as important as calories are, making decisions on other nutirents is important, too.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Great post! This is very important
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Ignore your measuring cups when it comes to cereal, always weigh it. Cereal is hugely variable because it's a delicate food and can easy break. 1 cup of large, whole pieces is going to be less cereal than a cup of broken bits.

In your example above, I'm guessing the two cereals are fairly different in piece size. Because look at the weight, the cereal that is an entire third of a cup less than the other is only two grams less. (for a mental reference, a single, plain almond is about 1 gram). So the actual "amount" of cereal that you'll be eating is barely different, it's the volume of cereal because of piece size that will be more noticeable.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I agree, each company can choose different sizes for their serving information, but as I have continued to think more about my health, I am more likely to choose something that has less sugar and sodium per serving. I can tell right now I would never buy either of those cereals. I know my comment is a bit off topic, but as important as calories are, making decisions on other nutirents is important, too.

I only have to focus on calories. My body loves carbs - so I don't have to watch my carbs at all. It isn't affected by sodium or sugar either. For me, it is all about calories in/calories out. We are all so different.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    I find myself spending HOURS at the grocery store comparing calories, serving sizes and other nutritional facts...in addition to comparing prices. Shopping has turned into an all-day activity!

Absolutely - my hubby hates high fructose corn syrup and asked if there was a jelly/jam without it? I think I read every label of every jar in the store - yes - there is one brand made with juice. I spend a lot of time comparing labels but the time spent has paid off!!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    Ignore your measuring cups when it comes to cereal, always weigh it. Cereal is hugely variable because it's a delicate food and can easy break. 1 cup of large, whole pieces is going to be less cereal than a cup of broken bits.

Honestly, the only time I ever use a measuring up when I'm dieting is for liquids. I weigh *everything*. This leads to frustration at times when trying to enter the food as a lot of the user entered foods use cups and not ounces or grams. I'll scan and scan to find one using ounces or grams.