weekend diet struggle

Options
could anyone give advice on how to get through the weekend without ruining the good work what i have done in the week i always end up eating more than i should ie a meal out or coffee and a cake bar of chocolate and say to myself it wont hurt its only the once then come monday i have weighed and put a pound to two pound on please could some people come up with suggestons for me to stop falling into this weekend trap:sad:

Replies

• ANAH1219
    ANAH1219 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too!!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    What you can do is try to add some great calorie burning workouts on Saturday and Sunday. This can help you in two ways, the first being you feel great and will not crack later and eat those treats because of your hard workout or it will give you a few extra 100 calories to eat and it should affect the scale later on in the week.
    Good luck!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I kind of have nothing except...don't. Don't eat the chocolate (I think that's what you said? I have trouble understanding your lack of punctuation) or the cake or whatever it is. Just stop. Think about how that one piece of cake is going to prevent you from reaching your goals.

Yesterday at work we had an ice cream social. Homemade ice cream. Homemade on the spot waffle boats. Homemade brownies. Etc. I walked out of the room and did not look back. It was my only option.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead as much as possible. When you go out to eat, try to check out the menu/nutritional information before you go, so you know what to order and what to avoid.
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Keep yourself busy to avoid bored eating! :D
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    just get out and go for a walk
  • zumbalindsey419
    Options
    Saturdays are generally my "cheat days" and I've been losing 2 or more pounds a week. I'm down 67 pounds total since March, and these days, in my opinion, haven't slowed down my progress. This could be because I get over 300 minutes of exercise a week, I don't know. Everyone is different though.

Get a great workout in on Saturday and Sunday and don't worry about it so much! Depriving yourself isn't going to work.
  • NinjaMonkey201
    Options
    Weekends are ALWAYS a struggle. But for me, I changed my weigh-in day to Monday. That way all weekend long, I keep reminding myself that I haven't weighed, yet. And it keeps me in check.
  • Tiffany517
    Tiffany517 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with this too, I try to keep busy cleaning the house or doing something with the kids, but it's tough. I think last weekend was my first weekend in a long time that i didn't snack all day long. Now this weekend i have some parties to go to so it's tough... I'm thinking i might half to go for an evening walk or double up on a workout DVD
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with CGG - take some time to do extra exercise! I go swimming both Saturday and Sunday mornings plus I have the walk to and from my local pool (a 50 min round trip) so I know I have extra cals to eat if I want them. I always have a chocolate treat on the weekend but I go to the local quality chocolate shop which sells handmade chocs which you can buy individually. I get 4 every Saturday and that is my treat Saturday and Sunday evenings when I sit down to relax.

I also love jacket potatoes with grated (cheddar) cheese and if I'm going to have this I have it on a Saturday for dinner as I have the extra calories to cope with the fat and calorie content of the cheese but I restrict the amount of cheese to 2oz.

So although I do have treats I restrict and enjoy more than stuffing my face with lots of 'naughty' foods. I am lucky that I don't really drink alcohol so I'm not bothered about not having 'drink' at weekends.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    could anyone give advice on how to get through the weekend without ruining the good work what i have done in the week i always end up eating more than i should ie a meal out or coffee and a cake bar of chocolate and say to myself it wont hurt its only the once then come monday i have weighed and put a pound to two pound on please could some people come up with suggestons for me to stop falling into this weekend trap:sad:
    You can indulge as long as it's within you calorie target... if you are going excessively over all weekend then you're going to have to cut back, not necessarily cut out. And make sure you exercise more at the weekend to build up extra calories.

Oh, and don't weigh yourself on Monday when you know you've had a bit of indugence at the weekend. Do it on a Friday and then you've got all week to work off the weekend's treats.

Simples!
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    Weekends are ALWAYS a struggle. But for me, I changed my weigh-in day to Monday. That way all weekend long, I keep reminding myself that I haven't weighed, yet. And it keeps me in check.

Great idea! Thank you!
  • hollymcd1027
    Options
    I struggle with this too. The key for me is trying to move as much as possible on the weekend and only letting yourself have the "treats" once a day. So if I have that big old fancy coffee and a bagel for breakfast on Saturday, then I'm only having a salad with dinner.

I also do my weigh ins on Friday morning. I know the weekend is going to be tough, so then I have 4 days to knuckle down and move that scale in the right direction. Its a game I'm playing on my self... but it does help to keep me motivated and not get down on the whole thing.

There are always going to be days you go over... the key is to make sure that your weekly average is at or under your goal.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Something interesting I learned from my last Weight Watcher leader... When you go out to eat, don't think of it as a special occassion (unless it is), think of it like any other meal. Special occassions are 2-6 times per year: anniversary, birthdays, retirememt party, what have you. Meals are every day. Just becuase you're not making the food, doesn't mean you should go crazy and have whatever you want. Also, many of the chain restaurants have nutritional info, or you can guesstimate by finding similar dishes on this and other calorie website in order to plan ahead.

I definitely agree with trying to get some extra exercise in on the weekend if you can. When I have the time, I'll take really long walks and get some great calorie burns in so I don't have to worry so much about my food (and drink) for the weekend.

As time has passed, I've decided it's also a lot easier to eat about the same Saturday and Sunday as I do Mon-Fri. Homemade breakfast sandwich or oatmeal, sandwich for lunch, fruit and yogurt for snack and maybe an 100 calorie popcorn and a reasonble dinner.

Point is, you need to make the same changes in your weekend diet as you have for you weekday diet. Find things you like that aren't too bad and stick with those. Try to keep everything else out of reach and only allow one treat. If you're having dinner out, you can't have the chocolate (unless you exercise to earn it).
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Ugh I struggle every weekend too. My only savior is trying to squeeze in as much exercise as possible and to log everything i eat, as soon as possible. If I see I only have 300 calories left for dinner and I'm about to eat a cookie, it makes me realize that it's really not worth eating.
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I believe i've found the source. boredom/ lack of schedule.

Being at the office for breakfast and lunch, i have designated times i eat M-F. 8:30m for breakfast and 12:30 for lunch and usually around 2:30 or 3 i'll have a small snack.

Sounds all good right? It is, you know why? Because i only bring enough food to the office for me to eat at those designated times. In fact, i'm writing this on my break and I just ate my 3 o' clock snack because I was still hungry. :/ So now, i'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon battling the vending machine. Sometimes that happens and i just deal. Gum helps.

Anyway, to battle the weekend i think the first thing i think makes the weekend a problem is the fact that you keep food in your home. Obviously, who doesnt. Point is, you have more food on hand and at ease Saturday and Sunday than you do M-F. Am I right? I know for me, that's the truth. Secondly, different sleep patterns. I sleep about an hour or so later on weekends and stay up about an hour or so later. Which throws off my typical 8:30/12:30/2:30-3/6 schedule for food. I dont make myself stick to this, this is just the way it happens for me, just times i've noticed when i'm hungry. It does change and I change with it. So, over the weekend you now are at home, relaxing, you have more food than you need on hand and you're sleep pattern is off. All of this can and often does without us noticing wreck havoc on our goals.

My advice to stave off the weekend muchies, is try your best to stick your M-F routine for meal time. if that's not capable, say you go out to dinner instead cooking at home. Eye the menu for something you know is going to make 3/4 your plate veggies and 1/4 your plate pure protein. Okay okay, that's the "ideal" plate but for me and im sure for most of the HUMANS out there it's more like 1/2 and 1/2 or even 3/4 grains 1/4 protein.. LOVE LOVE LOVE me a big fat burger with fries :) so you're out to eat, spot the best meal for you, sub it if you have to. You may irritate your waiter by doing so, but seriously as having had previous experience as a waiter with many many customers who did this. We secretly commend you on choosing the veggies/fruit/salad over fries. Then once you finish your meal, decided how hungry you are, and if you're feeling good, which i bet you will be. Knowing you ate healthy makes everyone feel good and accomplished. So you want dessert. Order one, share it, go for the smallest item on the menu. I know that's difficult with Chili's MOLTEN CHOCOLATE CAKE that weights like 5 pounds and is literally heaven in my mouth. sure, in that case get the waiter to put the ice cream in a separate dish. it's blue bell vanilla ice cream, sure it's still chock full o' calories and ladled with fat but it's a lot better for you than that brownie. So Split the difference, take half the ice cream and 1/4 the brownie. And the SECOND you see your waiter walk by to check on you, grab them and insist they take away the dessert even though you haven't really made a dent in it.

Lastly, remember watching your weight fluctuate on the scale doesn't have to be a bad thing. The 1-2 magical pounds, tend to be more water weight than anything else. Consider this: most restaurants deceptively add a ton more salt, sugar and butter to their meals during preparation because it *tastes* better (causing cravings=repeat customers), So you're eating significant amounts more of sugar, salt, fat than you typically do and then you drink a lot of water. Your body's going to hang on to that water with all it's ever-loving might because of all that salt/sugar/fat from that ONE meal. Yep. that's how the pounds roll on and off. Refrain from as much salt/sugar/fats you'll see those 1-2 pounds disappear.

So don't get discouraged by the 1-2 pound flux, fluctuation is better than permanent.

Lastly, follow all the other advice, exercise. :) but don't call it exercise, that sounds like a chore. Call it "movement". sounds better.
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with this as well. I started incorporating pizza, cheeseburgers, and mexican food into my meal plan. The difference is that I make them myself so I control the calories, and I make sure that my portions fit into my calorie allowance.

It sounds like you enjoying treating yourself, so planning treats ahead of time that fit into your diet. Make a list of indulgent foods and begin to substitute them with healthier and lower calorie options as well.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, except it's not food that gives me a problem... It's beer! I like to have a few beers on the weekend and it totally messes things up for me. But last week I decided to try doing some really hardcore workouts on Sat & Sun to earn the extra calories, it seemed to work I didnt go over on my calories and I didnt end up gaining any weight. Good luck!
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options

it really depends on your activities on the weekend and just being HONEST with yourself. its hard, we all know, i love to drink on the weekends and that is my trap because i often crave the high fatty , eat without remorse kind of thing. but if your out a lot on the weekends and drink alcohol and whatever the case is you are just going to have to look at what you can do to work your diet schedule into your schedule now.

me for instanc, drinking on the weekend and putting exercise as my main priority righ tnow is just not in my schedule and i KNOW i wont do it so i work around that. i still go out and drink, but what i try and do is make those choices a bit "healthier" if i'm going to a restaurant ot eat and there are salad options i get a salad first with water only for the whole meal, and dinner order comes i try to order a smaller portion of the healthier items on the menu. and if i want dessert? i ONLY get it if someone is going to share with me, better if there are more people. if your going to drink, get lower calorie drinks, e.g. diet coke with rum, or diet mixers. ask the bartenders if they have things like that, and if they dont, then stick to what they do have, lower calorie.

be realistic with yourself and what you do on weekends, dont try to make crazy goals that you know you wont do, ease into it slowly, this isnt a race, its a process to do.
  • jonesdy
    Options
    WATER... drink lots of water to help keep you feeling full... Extra workouts too, if you can work them into your schedule...

Plan ahead as much of your meals as possible... I make a full week of meals in advance (that's how I grocery shop) and this is really helping me to keep on track... I don't want to go out to eat as much, because I see the difference in the calories...

Good Luck!!!