ways to lose inches on calves

Options
All my life my calves have been bigger than I'd like. I blame genetics (my dad has HUGE calves) and I blame the fact that I played soccer from the age of 5 until I was 18.

Right now, my calves are both 15" and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for how to reduce that? Is it even possible?!

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I have big calves. Huge. Mine were 17 inches when I started 2 years ago at 230 lbs. I have not been able to spot reduce one single part of my body. Pretty sure it is not possible. However, through diet/exercise I have lost a ton of fat and turned some into nice muscle! Score! My calves now measure around 14 in. Just keep doing what you are doing...exercise! You'll burn the fat and gain muscle.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    A large group of my friends (25) and I sat around and measured our calves. All females between 5'4" and 6' had calves between 15" and 16.5" so I think that your measurement isn't that large.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    All my life my calves have been bigger than I'd like. I blame genetics (my dad has HUGE calves) and I blame the fact that I played soccer from the age of 5 until I was 18.

Right now, my calves are both 15" and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for how to reduce that? Is it even possible?!

Thank your dad for the good calve genes. Men and most women bust their butts in the gym to get bigger and defined calves. I say flaunt them with pride. I was also blessed with good calve genes, men and women at the gym constantly ask me how often I train them and what did I do to get developed calves, I smile and say "I was born with them" I only train my calves once every 2 weeks.
  • AliDarling
    Options
    lunges helped me. also, I would wear stilettos to build them up. I love stilettos, but tip toes also have the same effect without the danger lol.
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    bump...I've often wondered this, myself.
  • missxlaur
    Options
    running has actually made mine a little smaller. well, i think they look smaller at least haha
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This is so funny - I'm 6'0" and my calves measure about 15"...and I wish they were bigger!! I think they look small in comparison to the rest of my legs. I think what I actually wish for is slimmer thighs, but that's where every remaining scrap of fat in my body clings to for dear life...so, there's small chance of them ever diminishing ;-)
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    hmm, 15 sounds good.. I love my calvs and mine are 14 inches.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Was just taling to my mom about this today. Thanks dad. I had to buy LARGE softball pants so they would fit my calves. I had to sinch the rope in the waist so far it hung past my knees!

*Edit, I just measured and mine are nearly 17", I would hate to think what they were before I lost this weight. lol
  • daram05
    Options
    With my initial weight gain, my calves got huge too. But, with cardio, cardio, cardio, my calves shrunk. So, my recommendation is to use cardio. Also, if possible, invest in some Reebok EasyTones...I initially started out with walking and had these and I think they played a vital part in it.

Good Luck!

:smile:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    A large group of my friends (25) and I sat around and measured our calves. All females between 5'4" and 6' had calves between 15" and 16.5" so I think that your measurement isn't that large.

That's good to know. I've always said that I have "man calves" and felt very self-conscious about them, this makes me feel a bit better. I just measured, my calves are 14 inches.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I always mention the Scrubs episodes where it shows Dr. Kelso's curiously large and fit calves and nearly no one knows what I am talking about!!
  • tebbs915
    tebbs915 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses; I've always felt like my calves are just HUGE. If I try to wear tall boots, I have to buy wide and then the actual shoe is too big. Bleh. Good to know that a lot of women have about the same size calves!

Anyway, I'm walking/running/hiking every day I vary my shoes between my New Balance running shoes, my hiking boots, and my Reebok EasyTones. The Reeboks definitely helped with my butt, but I've seen no difference in my calves.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I know your pain, I've not measured mine yet but I always say I have "man calves" too. I won't wear girly skirts or dresses because of them and forget about squeezing my legs into knee high boots. I used to have chicken legs until I hit about 12 years old and started playing dance dance revolution for playstation 2. I danced on my tip toes and played constantly for about 4 years..(good game for those of you WANTING to gain some definition) I've since then stopped playing for around 3 years except occasionally and I still have the beasts, they just won't go away. I weigh 133 right now and none of the weight I've lost has been in the leg region, theigh or calves. I'll take any tips as well. I'll post pictures and measurements later.