Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    it's just that runners live longer.

**like**
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,850 Member
    wtf?
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Im at work and the sites I want to show you are restricted..grr.. I just googled "running wrinkles" and a whole lot of items come up
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    You could wear a tight mask when you run to keep your skin in place...
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Any outdoor endurance athlete will have the same issue. You are not going to stop and reapply sun lotion during a 2 hour run. Also, folks with lower body fat generally have more wrinkles.

So... in my opinion, I would say that it would make sense that any outdoor endurance athlete with low body fat is likly to have more wrinkles than those that don't spend as much time outdoors sweating, but I don't think it is unique to runners.

(also don't forget that genetics and lifestyle/diet play a huge role in your degree of wrinkling!)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Wrinkles.

Yep, that's totally the excuse I'm using next time I don't want to go running.

"Sorry, man, I already gots mad crows feet - I can't be runnin'!"
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    It's the sun, like people are saying. The sun. It shines outside. If you don't want to be wrinkly, use a good sunscreen or get on a treadmill. I love running in the sunshine with my sunscreen on. Makes me smell like I'm on vacation at the beach :)

I agree. I've been running outdoors - mostly at high noon - for years, and I don't think I'm particularly wrinkly. I love the feel of the sun on my skin - and the smell of sunscreen! I slather it on good, especially on my face, chest, and thighs.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    You could wear a tight mask when you run to keep your skin in place...

Or duct tape.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    wrinkles happen due to the breakdown of the collegen and elastin fibers in the skin. This is the network that gives the skin support. This happens in most cases due to aging (if you are over 18, you are aging), dry skin tends to winkle more than oily skin. Sun exposure and smoking are leading factors in premature aging. So YES, use your sunscreens daily. Look for one that is both a chemical and physical block, one that blocks both uva (aging rays) and uvb (burning rays). I would wear a hat and sunglasses. No squinting for me.

In no way do I personally believe that the act of running or anyother physical activity leads to the breakdown of those important fibers. It's the sun.