Just Joined Costco . . .

Options
gr8grl68
gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
They had a deal here at work so I joined. Soooo, what are items that you LOVE at the store. . .and what should we definitely stay away from?

I used to belong to Sams years ago and just remember buying a bunch of stuff that I didn;t need or wasn't good for me and my family . . .and want to avoid those pitfalls with Costco . . .

Replies

• quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone in a while, but I had a membership a year ago, and I loved buying cereal there, since I eat a lot of cereal, and it's expensive! Sandwich bread was cheap too, and big tubs of PB and J for our lunches! Sometimes I thought their meat was a good deal, too. I'd buy a big pack of beef chunks for stews or ground beef, or fish, and then divide them up and freeze them. Shampoo and conditioner was a good deal (and other toilietries), and toilet paper & paper towels.

We always ended up buying more than we needed of other things though!

Edited to add: We were able to stay away from the junk food, but I'd always get attracted by cleaning products, frozen food (that we didn't need, but wanted), odds and ends like Christmas cards (so much cheaper than Hallmark!)
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Big box of Fiber One 90 calorie brownies!!

Trail Mix
  • misssugarnspice
    Options
    Definitely the Salmon with Basil Pesto Butter is a hit with my family. Its delish and pre-packaged. Just pop it in the oven and stay on track for dinner.
  • nikelle5036
    Options
    I LOVE Costco. What we get from there that is incredibly cheaper than anywhere else are: Orowheat sandwich thins-Love them to replace bread and hamburger buns, dark chocolate acai berries-they're amazing for when I'm craving a candy bar and they're much healthier but still satisfy my sweet tooth, Kirkland turkey burgers are fantastic from there, ground beef in their frozen section is extremely lean, low carb/whole wheat tortillas, fiber one granola bars, ground turkey, skinny cow ice cream sandwiches... They have a jalepeno yogurt dip that is to die for and it's made from greek yogurt and extremely good for you. Uhm, that's all I can think of for now. Have fun!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Whatever you get just watch your portion size; that goes for anywhere you get food. I like the Meatloaf/mashed potatos, chicken salad and the beef strips. Pizza is good too, I just have small piece, you can always add veggies, fruit or salad (watch the dressing) to make it more of a meal.

Emjoy!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    We are members in the UK so I don't know if its the same for you, but we love...............
    Costco Sausages
    Ground Coffee
    All cuts of fresh meat
    Herbs and spices
    Well really, everything!! As long as you have an idea before you go of how much stuff costs, because it isn't always cheapest but as long as you know what sort of price you'd pay in a regular store then you can make decent decisions about what to buy.
    Just have a look round but think before you buy!!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I buy GINORMOUS containers of fruits and veggies, because then I feel obligated to eat it before it goes bad. If you have a big freezer, buy chicken breasts and freeze them. Costco is also great for fueling my gum addiction :smile:

Edit: And chew gum while you shop! Otherwise the free samples of cheesecake, orange glazed chicken, and everything else are way too tempting.
  • rdbailey92
    rdbailey92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always go in there to pick something up and walk out spending $200.00. It very nice though getting a $39.00 rebate check
  • courtneymomofone
    Options
    Their Kirkland brand medications and vitamins are usually WAY cheaper than most other generics and brand names. My Dad recently discovered this and even their name brands are cheaper than traditional stores.

Kids clothes - we just scored a winter coat for my son that is car-seat safe for $17. Now I can return the $69 one that I had to order online!

Cat litter - we only buy it when they have the coupon in their coupon booklet, but between the cheaper price on such a large pkg plus the coupon discount, the price can't beat PetSmart, Petco, or other places!

Granted, we live in a household of 6 adults and my 19mo old son, so purchasing paper products like toilet paper and paper towels in large quantities is a given, but I often find I can get a better price by watching the sales at my regular grocery store and combine with coupons. Then I can stock up and save a TON.

ETA: Also, I LOVE their rotisserie chickens! Bigger chickens for the price compared with my local Albertson's or Fred Meyer, so I don't have to buy 2 for our family of 6-1/2 (the toddler).
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    milk is a lot more affordable there than at other places, so if you or your family are milk guzzlers, stock up there! also, nutella.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins
    Almond butter
    Quinoa
    Organic brown rice
    Chicken stock
    Olive oil
    Fage Greek yogurt
    Choblani individual yogurt cups
    EAS protein bars and powder
    Feta cheese
    Various meats and poultry
    Have to be careful w/the produce because of the large quantities but I am able to go through enough romaine lettuce and red peppers so that I can usually finish those off before they go bad
    Organic frozen broccoli
    Frozen berries
    Egg substitute

There are a lot of healthy choices at Costco.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
    Wraps
    Cheese
    Meat
    Canned goods - Beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce ect
    Spices
    All toiletries
    Towels
    dog food
    Movie tickets
    The list goes on and on.

When we first got our card we would buy EVERYTHING there, but quickly had to stop because we couldn't get to all of the food fast enough and some of it would spoil (don't have a very big freezer either).
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    The box of 1000 splenda packets is 20 bucks but the kirkland brand is 1500 packets for 14 bucks.

I also love the giant bag o'spinach, the salmon, the Dannon yougurt, the morningstar and boca products and Dr. Praeger stuff. They are all bigger portioned than the regular ones. Jack's salsa is really yum and lately they have been carrying PitaPal Texas Caviar which is excellent and low cal.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins
    Almond butter
    Quinoa
    Organic brown rice
    Chicken stock
    Olive oil
    Fage Greek yogurt
    Choblani individual yogurt cups
    EAS protein bars and powder
    Feta cheese
    Various meats and poultry
    Have to be careful w/the produce because of the large quantities but I am able to go through enough romaine lettuce and red peppers so that I can usually finish those off before they go bad
    Organic frozen broccoli
    Frozen berries
    Egg substitute

There are a lot of healthy choices at Costco.

The Produce sectoin is great if you're looking at Dietary displacement of eating alot more complex veggie servings. Broccoli, Snap peas, Asparagus, Mini Peppers, Avocado are all great and easily used up in a week if you plan your meals.

Found Steel Cut oats in with the cereals which is excellent and the Quinoa and Organic Mixed Grain Rice blend is a great complex carb as well with high fibre content.

For Protein, there are great deals in the meat dept buying in bulk and then re-portioning at home into individual serving sizes for freezing. Makes dinner options quite convenient and healthy!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I especially like their chicken breasts and tilapia loins.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I love Costco for many many things; mostly for the kids stuff

Annies Mac n Cheese (kids)
    Cliff Jr bars (kids)
    Honest Kids juice
    Rockstars (Hubby)
    Chai (me)
    Organic Eggs,
    Various produce
    Black Bean Veggy burgers (High in sodium so good in a pinch)
    Salmon burgers
    Food should taste good cracker chip things
    Annies gummy bunnies (kids)
    hand sanitizer
    mustard
    vinegar
    olive oil
    spices
    sunscreen
    Mickey mouse nuggets (kids)
    fresh fish
    I think that may be it :laugh:
  • gr8grl68
    gr8grl68 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    WOW--thanks for all the suggestions! Will definitely be putting some of these things on my list. . . .and plan on sticking to the list! :)
  • EASBrand
    Options
    Azdak, we're happy to hear you use EAS! What's your favorite product? ~Jon @EAS
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Fresh Spinach
    Apples
    Strawberries

Those 3 things are a staple around here. I make so many different things with 'em. Salads, smoothies, juices

Ultra Thin Margerita Pizza, fairly low in calories and sodium and tastes quite good
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I love to get plain almonds, and walnuts there. And they sell the biggest Fage yogurt there. Makes me SOOO happy to come home with that yogurt. I stay away from the sample area, the food court and any of the frozen foods that are covered in sauces. Just get plain fish or chicken and make your own sauce.