Diabetic Friendly Recipes

Losing2Live1989
Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
I just found out I'm a newly onset diabetic and I could really use some good recipes for diabetics or tips how to cook healthier. Anything will help!

Replies

• mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 92 Member
    Bump
  • Losing2Live1989
    wow no recipes :(
  • katiri732
    katiri732 Posts: 48 Member
    give me a couple of days I just saw this thread :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    In general I think you'd wanna restrict your sugar and carbs, both of which will affect your insulin levels.

Assuming you're using primarily raw meats and vegetables, that's a great start.

Casseroles, stews and chilis are decent, soups as well.

Salsa is a great condiment that can be added to anything, as well as tomato sauce.

Sugar-free puddings and such make for great dessert choices, along with fresh fruit or oats.

Sorry I don't have any recipes off the top of my head, but my fathers diabetic, so I do understand a little.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    I am not diabetic but I like the 30 day diabetes miracle cookbook, which I got from my diabetic mother in law. It actually is a plant-based diet and they have some yummy recipes.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Insulin resistant here, I follow a Lacto-Primal diet. I'v e cut out grains, wheat, flour and eat lean meats (most of my diet), moderate fats (avocado, coconut oil, walnuts) and complex carbs (mostly vegetables). I limit my fruit to when insulin tolerance is best (post workout).

You can get a lot of recipes online if you google it "diabetic recipes", "paleo recipes", "low carb, low GI recipes".

Good luck - hope you can keep it from escalating!
  • I'm not diabetic but I'm on a keto diet - so I try to stay under or around 5% of my daily intake as carbs, and I avoid sugar. Tonight I'm having chicken alfredo over zucchini "pasta" (just julienned zucchini cooked in olive oil). I just cook chicken thighs or breasts in olive oil, saute the zucchini in the same pan, and put alfredo on top! There are some carbs in the alfredo, but I think it's from the milk or cheese, and it's only 3 grams. It's pretty quick and tasty.

Was there any specific types of foods you were looking to cook? Chicken, beef, pork, vegetarian, dessert, etc?
  • Losing2Live1989
    I'm a super picky eater. I love chicken! I know I'm gonna have to learn to like more better healthy foods but I also know this change wont happen over night!
  • Really sorry to hear of diagnosis. I also have diabetes and breast cancer. I did not take it seriously when I first got diagnosed with diabetes 7 years ago. I was in denial. Then I convinced myself that the diabetes could be controlled by the meds. That is a serious mistake. Cancer loves sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had someone tell me what I am about to tell you. You are lucky that you have early warning. You still have time to treat it with diet. Whole foods is the key!!!!! STOP THE CARBS AND SUGAR!!!!! Eat vegetarian and stop the fruit until you get it under control and then add back the fruit slowly. Once you have it under control, your body will tell you what you can eat. Pay very close attention to how you feel. Keep a diary of how you feel after eating. Don't let anyone tell you what to eat. I let my husband insist that I purchase the cheapest foods. It was my health. I no longer pay attention to what others say, because now that it is cancer, it is now my life. I shop foods that are plant based. There is a documentary that will give you the information you need. It is called, KNIVES AND FORKS. Do yourself a favor and watch this documentary. It will save your life. Good luck to you! Do as I say and not as I did. I am paying the price. You still can turn it around!!!!!
  • I have some pretty good recipes in my food diary you are more than welcome to look at them. I am also diabetic and have been for the last 8 years.

One of my favorites is fiesta chicken, at the beginning of every week i just portion them out and then i have them for a quick lunch when i dont have time to make other things

Fiesta Chicken
    1 Can Black Beans ( rinsed and drained)
    1 2 Cup Bag Uncle Bens Boil-in-Bag Brown Whole Grain Rice
    12 oz Chicken Breast Strips ( i buy the Tyson already cooked strips, you can find them in the freezer section)
    1 Cup Salsa

Just portion a half cup of each the Beans and the Rice in to a container and then i put the chicken and the salsa in little bags, add it all together right before you microwave and add like a tablespoon of water, it takes about two minutes to cook and at about 300 Calories and 40 Carbs its a good choice.

For quick snacks or to add to a meal, my all time favorite thing is Kroger CarbMaster Yogurt! Its great tasing and only has 60 Calories and 4 Carbs, you can find it at any Kroger Grocery Store (Bakers, Freds, Food for Less).