MFP and significant others poll

Options
bry_all01
bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
There have been plenty of polls or "accusations" of Facebook busting up marriages and relationships. Now, I personally feel like the MFP forums and walls, even are a little more open for flirting, etc. My thoughts on that is, we all have a goal, Facebook is for friends and family and here we get each other. We are all working toward something that maybe others just don't get.

So, this is a two-part poll:

Has MFP busted up your marriages/relationships or been the cause of such thing? You could be the one left or the one who left. Why or how?

If not, do you think it has the potentional to break up a marriage or relationship? If so, why or how?

***NO JUDGMENTS HERE, JUST CURIOUS***

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It hasn't and won't break up my relationship with my boyfriend. However, I think if someone is feeling insecure, unhappy and perhaps discouraged about their personal relationship -- it COULD turn into a relationship breaker. I mean.. you can find someone on here who understands you, supports you, etc. If you aren't getting that at home - it COULD happen.

For me, I'm too happy, content and satisfied with my relationship to let anyone (in real life or online) interfere. :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you have a good, healthy relationship Facebook wouldn't break it up either.

Maybe I'm blind but I sure don't use this site for flirting or picking up men.
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It hasn't and won't break up my relationship with my boyfriend. However, I think if someone is feeling insecure, unhappy and perhaps discouraged about their personal relationship -- it COULD turn into a relationship breaker. I mean.. you can find someone on here who understands you, supports you, etc. If you aren't getting that at home - it COULD happen.

For me, I'm too happy, content and satisfied with my relationship to let anyone (in real life or online) interfere. :)

^ what she said :)
  • cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump

Just so I can follow along. This could get interesting.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My husband did accuse me of cheating on him because of being on MFP a lot. We had a lot going on at the time and I flat out told him I would rather talk to people on here than him because they would listen and cared. Guess it was an eye opener to him because he made some changes.

So yes I can see it breaking up a relationship, especially with an easily made jealous partner.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    It has the potential to break up a marriage or relationship that is dying on the vine, I believe. A good one, I'm not certain.

I try to be very cautious on here.

Again my theory on relationships is that if the other partner would see something wrong in your actions, you shouldn't be doing it. I try to make sure that I would be comfortable if he was doing the same thing.

I actually "met" my boyfriend a similar way. YEARS ago.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I got defriended earlier this week on MFP. I never flirted, just said "hey good job" and stuff like that on accomplishments (just like I do for anyone else). She quoted "making her spouse happy" in the apology email.

The lesson? I don't know either...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    It's not FB or MFP that break up relationships, it's lack of respect or trust within the relationship that breaks it up. And no, it hasn't messed up my relationship!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I've seen married women do things behind husbands backs and been deceptive online and all that.

A guy in another fitness forum I visit was flirting with a girl who was engaged to another guy (actually, SHE initiated the flirting...he posted their convos). Long story short, he filmed it, sent it to the husband, and she didn't get married.

The same guy from above did it to another girl, who was dating a friend of his. Friend said 'i dont think shes faithful, see if she goes beyond flirting' so he flirted back. Long story short, he did, he filmed it...and ya, the girls single and internet famous.

Entertaining.

It happens. More then you'd think. Just doesn't always come to light.

*Edit, don't shoot the messenger here, if thats something you don't wanna hear.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options

If not, do you think it has the potentional to break up a marriage or relationship? If so, why or how?

***NO JUDGMENTS HERE, JUST CURIOUS***

If a website breaks up your marriage I think it was doomed already the website just speeds up the process. NO website could break up my mariage. WE are extremely close and sooooooooooo different.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple incidents that ended in friend blockage, and I do hold some responsibility in that as flirting can be taken to be more by someone else than you may mean.

I'm much more careful and do not worry about MFP, FB, etc in regards to my marriage.

I think any social networking site could create problems in a relationship but frankly I don't believe it's the site and that chances are the relationship already had issues.

And hell, there are enough hurdles in real life....MFP is the least of my worries!
  • leilani♥
    Options
    It has not happened to me and I do not see it happening in the future. Though just like with any online site that involves interacting with others I believe it can tear a relationship apart. I've seen it happen on AOL, World of Warcraft, Yahoo, Myspace, Facebook. It happens because they weren't happy in their relationship to begin with. So when they start to get to know people online while their own relationship is on the rocks they end up leaving their spouse to go meet this person that they got to know over the internet. If you have a strong relationship I don't see how this or anything can be a valid reason for breakup.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Nope, my boyfriend and I are still together. Although he has complained I spend too much time on the forums.

I don't think anything on the internet can kill a relationship that did not already have damaging cracks already.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    If it's busting up a marriage, the marriage was already broke.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    HOnestly once my significant other moves here, I'll probably only be here at work.

We met on a forum and we always said that wasn't the type of relationship we wanted.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what your partner does. If they are going to cheat or leave you, they will find a way and it will happen.. It's not a website or night club that made them cheat or leave you. It was you and your inability to keep them happy. If your partner makes you feel jealous, then maybe they are trying to get your attention. Some people are preditors and nothing will stop them, but most people want to be loved and give love.

Moreover, get your butt up and make your partner happy.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Has not affected my relationship other than my gf being super proud of me for losing weight! :D
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    It's not FB or MFP that break up relationships, it's lack of respect or trust within the relationship that breaks it up. And no, it hasn't messed up my relationship!

^^^THIS. Everytime people would say or articles would be writeen about FB busting up marriages, I thought it was malarky. If its going to happen, its going to happen....

For the record, neither have or ever would mess my marriage up. We can do bad all on our own. I keed, we're good. Just thought I would see what others thought....
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said, if it was already in danger, then yes I can see why a forum would cause a breakup.
    But for me, in my opinion, I wouldn't take it to that level with someone on any forum-whether this one or Facebook. I have no idea who is on the other side of that screen, what their intentions are, etc. Maybe because of my job or whatnot that makes me paranoid, but still....its words on a screen and a pic that may or may not be real.