Size 38 Jeans but a 46" Waist.. Frustrated!!!

Options
So I received a rude awakening this evening. I am very proud of myself and the weight loss I have accomplished but am a bit disappointed to report that men's clothing sizes are indeed very bad liars. I am currently wearing relaxed fit Levi's and Gap jeans in a size 38 waist. When I began my weight loss I was wearing size 48 and 50 jeans, so this is a significant decrease. Imagine my shock, when I measured my waist this evening at a full 46"!!! The size 38 jeans are gettting loose on me and I'm getting ready to move down to a size 36, but am bitterly disappointed that I am still considered at very high risk for diabetes and heart disease due to my waist circumference. I guess in order to truly be healthy I'll need to be in a size 32 or 30. Just frustrated I know I am getting healthier and doing the right things, but I thought I was closer to achieving good health than I really am.

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    You ARE getting healthier. You're closer to your goal than you were and getting closer all the time. Don't be disappointed. Be proud of what you have accomplished. It's not easy and frustration is an occupational hazard (lol) we've all been there
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    My husband had similar issues. He wore a 38 but found out his waist was actually 43"when getting a suit! How frustrating.
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You're doing a great job....I know how frustrating that can be, but, don't let numbers make you lose your momentum, just like the numbers on the scale, as people have told me, you'll get there. You see that your pants size is getting smaller, that's a big plus right there...I'm a diabetic too, and I've lost not quite as much as you have, and I get these up and down periods, but I'm determined, committed to live a healthier rest of my life, no matter what. You can do it!!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    aw, that would definitely be frustrating! I think most men's jeans are sized according to under the tummy. my hubby tries to wear them at his waist and can't figure out why they keep falling down. they're built to hang on the hips I guess.

ladies have the option of fooling themselves...the more expensive the store, the smaller the size I wear. pppffffttt.