What can I do to increase weight loss in my upper body

Onthefr1tz
Onthefr1tz Posts: 3
edited October 3 in Fitness and Exercise
HI all,

I've been working out consistently for almost 3 months now. I do a variety of different exercise classes (cycling, weight training, zumba etc) at my local YMCA. So far I have been losing weight at a slow but steady pace but my concern is that i seem to be losing inches disproportionally. I've noticed that I'm losing inches in my thighs whereas my upper body has pretty much remained the same. Is this because of the cardio? I do toning exercises with weights and although my arms are a little more toned than they were before i started exercising, they have not gotten any smaller. What can I do to increase weight loss in my upper body?

Replies

• beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Get some light weights and use them when your are walking, zumba or what ever. I walk the treadmill each day and my arms are doing different aerobic movements with weights in my hands. Weights will not make you muscular, but it will help you burn the fat in those areas.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Generally women carry more weight in the hips/thigh area, so there is more fat there to lose. So you'll notice a bigger change there, it's probably the first place to go.

Basically it's gonna disappear from whereever it wants. You can do your best to preserve the muscle underneath, by working out that area with weights, or through bodyweight exercises, so whent he fat sheds from around it, the muscle is more visible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    Genetic predisposition dictates how your body loses fat and where it comes off. No exercise can spot reduce an area.
This discussion has been closed.