Which is best for weight loss?

Options
A shorter really intense workout or a longer steady workout? Just wondering if it makes a difference? My trainer says that I'm gaining muscle which is great. It's just my weight loss has slowed down a bit, and I want to see more weight loss. I guess I'll ask her when I see her on Tuesday. But appreciate any feedback if anyone is knowledgeable about this?

Replies

• smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The answer is "yes"
    It is best to mix it up. Some short and intense days and some longer "steady" workouts.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I should say a shorter, more intense one is better. If you workout for too long, you burn more calories but at the same time you burn muscle which is not good. You said you're gaining muscle which is great & is the reason for your weight loss to slow down but that is OK. What matters more is how your clothes fit better & how good you look at the mirror or in pictures.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    High intensity intervals can keep your body recovering for 1.5 days. I suggest those if you're in well enough shape to do em. Way more effective then steady cardio, and half the time.

Google HIIT
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    Definitely mix it up! Do 1 day high intensity interval training, then 1 day steady state, it's a great way to keep your body from adjusting and to keep you from getting plateaued! There are benefits to both styles. Just make sure your body has the proper fuel it needs for both workouts and that you have a post workout recovery snack with a 4:1 carb - protein ratio. This helps your body refuel for the next day and also keeps it from breaking down your own muscle protein. A low carb/sugar protein shake mixed with 1/4 cup raspberries is good...whey gourmet cookies & cream, kaizen vanilla or prolein are good ones:)
  • amyelizbradley
    amyelizbradley Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It really is about "mixing it up" but the types of workouts you do also depends on what your fitness goals are. Make sure that your trainer is taking your measurements (incl. body fat) regularly- that's where you'll see true change. As you get closer and closer to your goal weight (within 20 or so pounds) & an increased fitness level, you will also see that your weight loss will slow down quite a bit. For me personally, now that I am closer to my goal weight, I have had to change up my calorie deficit, and change my workout strategies to maintain or see some loss. My weight loss has slowed incredibly but my measurements show dramatic change so it's all good!

I wish you all the best and mucho success!!
    Message me/ friend me anytime!
    Amy
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    From a trainer: That would be me. Listen to your trainer. Hopefully your trainer completely understands your goals, your abilities, your strengths, and everything else, but you've got to tell her your concerns. Is she doing the same kind of workouts with all her clients? If she is, you need to find another trainer.

One thing I don't like to hear, is when people talk about just doing short intense workouts. Yes, you get a lot of bang for your buck, but there must be variety, and gosh once in a while exercise should be, dare I say it.....fun? Also, for all the people out there that try to tell me that cardio burns too much muscle and I'm wasting my time, I say "you haven't seen my legs, have you?" or my husband's who is an elite cyclist, racer and rides slow and fast up to 200 miles a week.

Endurance athletes usually mix it up, and we have plenty of muscle. Unfortunately we sometimes eat too much, which is why I'm on this website. Now that I have a way to track my calories and nutrients, I am timing my glycogen replacement and nutrtiton intake much better. Another thing you may or may not get to experience if you cut your workouts too short are endorphins. And endurance athletes know all about endorphins....Those wonderful little hormones that ADDICT you to exercise. And it takes a while, usually about 20 minutes for those to kick in. So I say, "don't worry so much about which kind." Tell your trainer your concerns. Make sure she understands what you're really willing to do, and she will hopefully come up with the right formula for you.
  • mandyjohns
    Options
    Wow y'all!!! Great responses!!! I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you! I guess I will continue to mix it up a little, but focus on more intense workouts. I'm not really in all that great of shape due to my size. But in just a short time, I feel I've already come a long way in my workouts. Other than seeing my trainer twice a week, I get on my exercise bike (recumbent-due to back problems) EVERY day. When I first started, I didn't add any resistance. It was just good to get me moving. The more time passes, the more I've added resistance and length of time. I can really feel that my legs (muscles) are getting a good workout... but it seems that it's been since I stepped things up a bit more that I haven't seen the weight loss. I am noticing some changes in my clothes, but nothing substantial. My trainer told me that I wear too baggy of clothes so it's hard to tell. She recommended that for our workouts, that I wear something more fitted, so she can see progress, and be able to tell more that the muscles are being worked right.
    Again, thanks! :happy:
    Mandy
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Google "interval training"
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I think whats really best is one you'll stick to in the long run.
  • Steph70508
    Options
    I think whats really best is one you'll stick to in the long run.

I totally agree with this...I would like to add a quote that a friend said recently "the best exercise is the one you aren't doing" meaning switch it up! :)