Whey: Is 2 scoop whey/day too much ?

Options
I am on high protein diet and was advised to have 2 scoops of Gold standard Whey in a day. So, I consume 1 scoop upon waking up and 1 scoop post work out in the evening.

Although this has had very positive effect in the weight loss, is it over consumption of whey protein?

Replies

• aoifebr
    Options
    I dont know the answer but I'd like to find out - sometimes I double up as well...
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    protein is protein..
  • Steph70508
    Options
    I don't proclaim myself a doctor or a nutrition expert, but the general jist I have gotten from my research is that 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight is a good amount when you are trying to build muscle. As long as your kidneys are functioning properly and you take in plenty of fluids (water) you should be fine.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Definitely not too much. Just hit your macros for the day and your fine.
  • monkeybutter
    Options
    My bf has consumed far more than that on a daily basis for years and has found no undesirable side effects. 2 scoops per day is not really excessive at all if you are in reasonable health.
  • monroe1234
    monroe1234 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Too much protein can be bad. I believe only body builders are supposed to take two scoops of protein when they are training for shows. One scoop of protein should be taken for individuals who wish to lose weight rather than those who want to gain intense muscle. I was informed by doctors that too much protein can lead to organ problems. Some individuals can overload on protein and some individuals can even overload on vitamins if too much are taken (2 or 3 daily vitamins a day).
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I take 1 or 2 scoops in the morning on waking with fruit and seeds, maybe 1 before and 1 or 2 after after a run/workout and slow release before bed.

I am 174lbs currently and try to take at least my own weight in grams per day, most days at the moment being over 200g of protein. A combination of chicken, fish, wholefoods, nuts, seeds, cottage cheese (which I am still not sure I like!!!) and so on...

Plus tons of water.
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That just depends on your fitness goals. I'm on a 40/40/20 diet to build lean mass and cut a bit of the not-so-lean off... After exercise I usually have to consume an extra 1k calories a day... So I'm up to 1 scoop, 4 times a day and usually a protein bar or 2.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Too much protein can be bad. I believe only body builders are supposed to take two scoops of protein when they are training for shows. One scoop of protein should be taken for individuals who wish to lose weight rather than those who want to gain intense muscle. I was informed by doctors that too much protein can lead to organ problems. Some individuals can overload on protein and some individuals can even overload on vitamins if too much are taken (2 or 3 daily vitamins a day).

Not really accurate information here.
    1 - 1.5 grams per pound of lean body mass is the norm. Exceeding it is OK to a point. But, like anything, too much can be a bad thing. Saying who should take 1 scoop or 2 is pretty random. I use 2, sometimes 3 scoops in a day (if I'm on the go) and I am not a body builder. And I know plenty of body builders use MORE than 2 scoops per day.

If your goal is to consume 200g or protein per day, how you make up those 200 grams is up to you. Lean protein sources are best and that does include whey protein.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm on a high protein diet as well, and often do anywhere from two to four scoops of protein in a day's time. If your body needs it, it is fine. Mine does due to the weight loss surgery I had (Duodenal Switch) which requires me to eat a higher protein diet than the average person to meet my needs. I currently strive for about 150g of protein a day, and protein shakes or protein bars are one way I supplement to achieve that.
  • carloP90X
    Options
    You are not over consuming protein. Just remember to drink lots of water throughout the day to help flush and with your morning protein put 1 tablespoon of Benefiber to keep your system regular. Yes, high protein plan works for me too!
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Read the label?
  • Read this article:
    http://www.muscleandfitnesstrainer.com/home/articles/jim-stoppani-on-protein
    its basically stating that reports of too much protein being harmful are not based on research..

then also this article:
    http://www.cihr.ca/e/35812.html
    which pretty much says that there is "lots of evidence that, for people with kidney problems, too much protein is something that you just don't want. Extra protein makes kidneys work harder at a time when they are compromised."

and also this article:
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/weightandnutrition/207501.html
    which,again, pretty much says that unless you are already unfit/ unhealthy person, take medications etc. or already have problems with your kidneys/liver, a high protein diet should be fine:)

Hope this helps:)