Kids and dogs, your opinions please??

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Have you had dogs before? Are you experienced in training them?

A puppy is like having a second baby, really. They take a lot of work and they will chew too and may chew on little hands when you are not looking. You may be better off getting a dog that is through the puppy stage, which is already house trained, walks on lead, etc., and which is known to be good with small children. Another advantage of getting a grown dog is that you will know exactly what you are getting. Often a puppy, especially a crossbred puppy, will end up nothing like you were expecting.

Many rescues will have delightful dogs that have been living in a home situation with a foster carer. Unless you are an experienced dog owner, that is what I would recommend you get instead of a puppy.

quoted for truth. if you have a one year old, you are basically going to training two babies to pee in the proper place. honestly, sooooo many animal shelters already have dogs that are trained up, and adults. i know, everyone wants a puppy because they are sooooooo cute. but you don't know what kind of personalities they have. my advice, go to the aspca, and ask if they have any nice calm dogs, like 3 years old, that'll be good with kids, and hang out with one of them and see how they react with your kid. a puppy just doesn't know his body yet. they don't understand that their teeth and nails can hurt.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Labs and kids are normally good together, especially when they are puppies. The only issue is like the other posters said, its like having a second kid, a lot and lot of work
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    If its a puppy there is a good chance it will nip the baby,because its a puppy and puppys chew.

Labs don't tend to nip when pups. Soft mouths.

But the advice to not leave the baby unsupervised with the dog is sensible.

In other news.... I can't believe how many people are saying it's like having another kid though. I always thought that was one of those things that people who *don't have children* say. Puppies don't (unless you are *really messing up* with the training) wake you through the night for months on end. (Maybe one or two nights - but our two didn't even do that. My daughter on the hand was two years old before she slept through!) They don't require constant breastfeeding. They don't need to be changed, and they toilet train a *whole lot* easier. They don't cry much..... Nope, it really isn't like having another child.... :-)
  • we got our second dog (first died of old age) when my last child was about one. The pros I think are the fact that they do grow up together and so dog&baby are used to eachother... I like the idea of a rescue dog, but because of young kids my personal choice was that we get a puppy.
    The cons of a puppy with a child that age are that your child and puppy both need 100% supervision and it's so hard sometimes. Also, your child is almost at the stage where he/she'll get into everything, and so will your puppy. the puppy will wake your child from naps, your puppy will have accidents because you were too busy caring for the baby... your child will cry because he/she can't sleep in the dog bed... you will find your child eating dog food, and/or putting all the food into the water dish.... your dog will sneak your childs lunch very often, and or your child will feed your dog things it's not supposed to eat. you'll hate finding dog hair in your childs mouth! and all over your childs sticky hands. Your dog will bump into your wobbly toddler and tears will be shed, tails will come in contact with faces...
    Even with all the hard times there is nothing better than seeing the bond between a child and his/her dog... when you come into the room and your child is using your dogs belly for a pillow while watching cartoons it's the sweetest thing ever!
    I do suggest you kennel train the dog for smoother times. we didn't do this with the first, but did with the second and it's nice to be able to put her in the kennel when absolutely necessary.
    If you are going into it knowing it'll be a very rewarding challenge then I say go for it, but know it's going to be frustrating sometimes and wonderful at others... good luck with your decision.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    I love dogs. I got my first (my own not my parents) when I was pregant with my first. It was fun to train her and then she was super good with the baby.

I think you should consider a few things first, then decide. I don't know where you live, you called it a flat, so I am thinking somewhere in Europe. I don't know how things are there, but here in the states if you don't own your own home, it is very difficult to rent an appartment with a dog. Most landlords don't allow dogs. Make sure your land lord allows dogs and that if you have to move are you prepared to only take a place that accepts dogs? The other thing is it is very time consuming to train a puppy. You have to take them out very often. I know you are looking at that as a plus, but with a baby, you might want to consider that Dec is the middle of winter. It might be easier to do the training during the spring into summer. I do know that when I got my last dog, I considered that and decided to wait until spring. (note I live in North eastern, USA it snows and is very cold in winter.)

The other thing is the chewing. You need to make sure you have plenty of chew toys for the dog and make sure your (I think you said son) son knows not to play with the dogs toys. Puppys are very playful and will not know the difference between which toys are ok and which aren't. Make sure you are prepared to lose a few kids toys. Puppys also go through teething just like babies, you will need to watch that when the puppy starts really chewing on stuff.

In my opinion Labs are the best dogs. I love them. They are very good around kids. I have 5 kids and I have had two black labs, no issues. I think if you truly feel comfortable after answering these questions, then go for it. make sure you spend some time with your son and the puppy to see how they interact, before you bring home the dog.

Best wishes.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Why not foster an older dog, instead? Training a puppy can be such fun and rewarding but with a small child in tow? That sounds like an exhausting combination. Fostering is a win-win...you can do a good deed while deciding if this animal is a good fit for your family and lifestyle.
  • I am an avid supporter of dog adoptions to good homes, I think it's wonderful that you would consider taking a dog in to your home. A Labrador is typically a wonderful family pet. They typically have a very good temperament, and are extremely smart and easy to train. You should have a feel for what temperament this puppy has by now. You can kinda see if it will be submissive or aggressive. Labs are genetically designed as retrieving dogs .. they have what is referred to as 'soft mouths' . They can instinctively pick up a hunted bird (for instance) without mauling it or puncturing it's skin with their teeth. Believe it or not, but that is just one of the factors of why they make such great pets. Labs are notorious for chewing .. that is one their traits. Make sure it has plenty of SOFT chew toys so it won't victimize any of your favourite slippers.

Taking in a puppy at the same time you have an infant is not going to lack in challenges. Please consider, exactly WHY you want to take a pet into your home. Is it because it's cute and cuddly and you think it will be a great toy for your child, and may soon tire of challenges involved of having a dog in the house (the potty training, the dirt it will track in onto the same floor that your child will be crawling on, the cost of food, vet bills and regular care) .. or are you willing to take it into your home as a new family member, for the long term no matter what the cost or effort. Labs grow to become quite a large animal, will your household accommodate it's size? As pups and young dogs they also require exercise regularly. This is not the type of dog that will benefit from being neglected (come to think of it, not many breeds are), and may act out in frustration if not handled properly.

I really do wish you well. I love to hear success stories of families who have adopted a pet into their homes. I cringe at the thought of someone taking a pet into their home, only to have it locked up for hours on end, or tied on leash with little or no interaction or socialization at all. Please, do your research, and consider not only what that animal can do for you, but what you can do for that animal. This dog may very well be your own built in babysitter (so to speak) and security system .. Labs are so smart that they can sometimes even alert you to dangers that may be lurking. They are good protectors of their 'pack'.

Again, Best of Luck!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Nope, it really isn't like having another child.... :-)

You're right. If I lock my dog in a crate at night, it's no big deal.

Maybe it's a bit of an overstatement to say that puppies are like having another child, but it's not that large of a stretch. They get into things. They knock stuff over. They ruin things without knowing their value. They poop, pee, and puke unexpectedly. They can whine and cry at night until they get used to sleeping on their own. They depend on you for everything. They don't always listen or do what you want them to do.

But hey. Maybe I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. I find both kids and dogs to be far too much work. I'll stick to my cats, thanks.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Alot of replies!! Can't reply to them all but have read through and I am taking everything on board.

An older dog really isn't an option for me, I'd want to know all of it's background, what kids it had been around how old they were, why did the owners give it away, where did they find it ect, and I'll never be certain I got the whole story. For me a puppy is, the harder, but more safe option. Although I understand it'd be easier!

I have looked after a different friends set of puppys when she went on holiday, about 7 of them with the mum dog aswell when my son was just a few weeks old although that was alot easier because my sons age he couldn't be around the dogs and the mum was still feeding and carrying them around! One of those puppys went to a friend of mine and that dog turned into a terror and I still see the dog often - but I can learn from her mistakes.

And no I don't want a puppy because there cute, I want it for a family pet for me and my boy to grow up with! But the cuteness helps, not gunna lie.

I think all things given, with alot of hard work it's doable, and hopefully it'll be worth it in the end. I think I'm gunna say yes and take one of them. I don't have much else to do with my days so a dog would be a lovely christmas present for us and a welcome family member.

Thanks for all your replys/opinons!
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Don't do it. Labs are great dogs, but are allot of work. They need allot of training. They do much better with a yard. You seem to have allot on your plate right now with a small baby. I would recommend not getting a puppy until your son is older and not getting a Lab until you have a yard for him/her to run in. Also if you do plan on getting a dog find out all you can about kennel training. It makes the dog more secure if he has a place to get away from it all and it cuts down on undesirable behavior such as chewing while you are gone or sleeping. Just make sure you do this correctly. It is not to be used as a punishment, but as a time out place so the dog can calm down. Good luck in your choice.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    It's good that you are making up your mind now. It won't be such a new thing when the puppy arives. Maybe knowing so far ahead of time you can get things ready for your son to be used to having a dog around. I know it can be tricky, because you are moving, but maybe if you put the dogs food and water dish out and leave it empty your son will get used to seeing it there and not be tempted to go near it in a couple of months when there will be food in it. It will also give him reminders of what to look forward to. Kind of like a second nursery would when you have a new baby coming. I don't know if you plan to get a dog bed too, but it might be good if your son is going to crawl all over it, to do it now when it's not covered in hair, plus the new dog will have your sons scent all over it too.
    Have fun preparing. I think Labs are great dogs and if you are committed to owning a pet, then I'm sure you will be good at it.

Best wishes
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Phew- I felt stress just thinking about it. We are waiting till my youngest is old enough to make a solid request to have a dog again. lol If you read through all the cons and still want one then you may be ready :)
    Some tips:

Treat the dog like a dog, not another baby. It needs to be kennel trained, and sleep in it's kennel.
    Decide how you will deal with the dog if the family goes on vacation, of out of town.
    If you don't neuter a boy dog - your baby will get humped - yuck.
    If you don't spay a girl dog it will have a period. - yuck
    Your puppy may bring nasties into your home (I still have nightmares from a tapeworm problem 25 years ago!!!) Call a couple local vets and get the costs on all the puppy shots as well as ongoing prevention for parasites etc.!!! Also get the price for an emergency visit.

Good Luck!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    I did it - in fact I got my weimaraner when I was 6 months pregnant, he welcomed my first daughter without any jealousy, then my second daughter 19 months later. He's the best dog as he learned to be careful around kids. He knows the difference between children and adults and never ever has jumped up or knocked down a kid. Big deal for an 80+ pound dog.

I just recently got my 2nd dog - a JRT. She's a nut, growls, bites the girls but this is because the girls are older now (5 + 4) and chase her, grab her, hold her tail. With me however she's a very gentle dog.

It is a lot of work - housebreaking, then the food dish was a big issue at my house because my oldest daughter would emulate the dog and go drink & eat from his bowl... ANd cleaning up pet waste... fun times while still changing diapers. I swear, I've seen my fair share of *kitten*!

Oh, and the romantic idea of taking the dog for a walk alongside the stroller... well, if you can do it, kuddos to you.

But I would never change having my weimaraner when I did - he's the best dog ever... the JRT, still some regrets.

PS - One thing to consider: having to deal with the death of your pet at a youngish age...

Hunter_Oct_2006_027.jpgDecember_012.jpg
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    An older dog really isn't an option for me, I'd want to know all of it's background, what kids it had been around how old they were, why did the owners give it away, where did they find it ect, and I'll never be certain I got the whole story. For me a puppy is, the harder, but more safe option. Although I understand it'd be easier!

i would NEVER foster a dog with little ones in the house. like you, i want to know the whole story and most times, the rescue place just doesn't have a clue why they were given away or what their 'issues' are. with older kids, a foster dog might be fine, but with a 1 year old, i definitely vote puppy. :) my mom just adopted one who is the whinest dog i have ever seen (she knew it going in) and my brother is fostering a pit (who is very sweet and lovable but will snap at anyone nearing her food).

we have a labradoodle and she is the sweetest thing. she follows my boys around and suffers the indignities that only boys can dream up (at least it's not having to tolerate dress-up from a little girl). after the first few weeks of kennel training and potty-training, she has become the easiest 'kid' i have. lol.

one potential issue i see is your 1 year old gumming/teething on the dog's toys. i don't know how you feel about that (i'm fine with the swapping of germs to build immune systems) but you may need to watch out for canine-related infections that can spread to humans.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Dogs and kids are a great combination! Puppies and toddlers, no way, no how!

I foster for a rescue. For those who say they want to know the history and why the owners have given the dog up, I can promise you in 99% of the cases (I foster golden retrievers and golden retriever mixes), it's because the owners were horribly irresponsible and it's not the fault of the dog. Any reputable rescue isn't going to place a dog that they aren't 1000% sure is good with small children in a home with small children. We do this for the dogs, and we want them to finally have a real family to love. We sure aren't about to set them up for failure by placing them in a home where they're just going to get dumped again.

Now, I have fostered over 50 dogs and puppies. For the last 6 years, we have only done puppies. We have fostered approximately 35 puppies over that time, so I think I am pretty much an expert at raising puppies. I would NEVER do it if I had a toddler or an infant. With most puppies up to 4 months old, you have to get up once and sometimes twice a night to take them out to potty. You also have to take them out at a moments notice while you are housetraining them so they don't have an accident in the house. They chew, they bite, they don't understand that a baby isn't a chew toy. They scratch you, they bark and they cry when you put them in the crate or wherever you choose to keep them while housetraining them. They don't care if it's baby's naptime or bedtime, they will still bark and yip and howl until they get used to the separation from you (and initially their litter).

My foster puppies are with me for 2-16 weeks depending on their age when they come in and how much training they need. I have had some that I absolutely would not adopt to anyone with small children. These are puppies that are "landsharks" in that they just can't seem to control their biting. When my puppies leave me, they are basic obedience trained to sit, down, shake and wait for their food. Plus they are normally almost completely housetrained.

Please urge your friend to spay her female. It doesn't sound like you are in the US (though I may have been mistaken), but allowing a dog to breed with whatever male comes along is irresponsible regardless of the country you live in.
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Here are my thoughts & things that helped me: I have 4 kids and have always had large breed dogs up until a few weeks ago. The love of my dog having life that I just had put to sleep was brought home when my son was around 1. When we had to let him go he was 225 pounds and was super gentle with kids.
    My boxer was also brought into the house when my youngest started to crawl. Our newest addition is a 10 month old pug and he's wonderful around both of the little ones. Most of my dogs have had a "laid back" personality though.

Train the dog how you want it to be when grown: If you don't want a big dog jumping on you, the couch, the baby then don't let him when he's small. I made a mistake of carrying both of my Mastiffs when puppies and this made them always want to have their head on my shoulder. Big mistake when a dog is that large. Just couldn't help myself.

Work on teaching the dog "away" or what ever term you want to use. Teaching our dogs this has come in handy so many times! Away in our home means the dog leaves the room.

Work on teaching the dog "leave it". This comes in handy when they each want a toy or dog has learned that young ones are great at giving out treats.

Dogs are a lot of work. After my 1st Mastiff past away I tried living with out a dog and I just can't do it. There is something about the unconditional love and affection that comes from a dog that can't be explained until you have had one.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    We have 3 dogs and 3 kids. Our oldest dog and kid are about to turn 14. The dog followed our duaghter where ever she went and would scrtach me if he felt I let her cry too long. the other two dogs came along after my ywo other children were born. We have had nothing but good expereinces and will be devestated when our oldest dog passes away. That will be the hard part. Telling my kids that there "brother" is dead.

BTW we have a terrier dauchstun (sp?) mix (the oldest), a minatire schnauzer and a rottweiler australian shepperd mix.
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    I think kids and dogs growing up together can be great. But dogs are a LOT of work. Like, more than just in-between-nap-time work. Something part lab requires a lot of exercise - those suckers get fat faster than you can blink. Not to mention puppy preschool, obedience, vet visits, training at home, socialization, etc. I think if you can work that in with your baby, SPECTACULAR. But I get the feeling it would be pretty stressful.

You don't want a ****ty, untrained dog stompin' all up on your baby.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Regardless of whether or not you take this pup, could you please suggest to your friend to have her Lab spayed?

I've worked in shelters and animal hospitals, and it's heartbreaking the number of pets who are put to sleep simply because there's not enough homes.
    Seriously! In this day and age it is unconscionable to have unaltered dogs roaming into yards impregnating other unaltered dogs, ridiculous really. SEE MY AVATAR!
    I'm also a huge advocate of adopting older pets. I agree, with shelter dogs, you don't know their history. But a lot of rescue group foster the dogs in homes for weeks or months, so they've give the dogs a head start on basic obedience and house-training, as well as a pretty solid glimpse into their temperament. Many are fostered in homes with children, with other dogs, with cats, etc. I've known several rescues that became therapy dogs. :heart:
    THIS
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    I foster for a rescue. For those who say they want to know the history and why the owners have given the dog up, I can promise you in 99% of the cases (I foster golden retrievers and golden retriever mixes), it's because the owners were horribly irresponsible and it's not the fault of the dog. Any reputable rescue isn't going to place a dog that they aren't 1000% sure is good with small children in a home with small children. We do this for the dogs, and we want them to finally have a real family to love. We sure aren't about to set them up for failure by placing them in a home where they're just going to get dumped again.

Most of the rescue groups near me won't adopt out any dog to a family with small children. Not even a puppy or older dog. My vet called and my obedience trainer that I have used for 15 years called as a reference to several and they still won't do it. Doesn't matter if it's large breed or small breed. Our Pug and Boxer both came from local shelters instead.