A question

Options
For exercise I do prefer longer and slower exercise over those short and high intensive sessions. I hate those high heart rate feeling. Makes me feel I want to faint. I can do the longer ones without any tired feeling. Is it wrong for weight loss? I visited my doctor recently and she said my weight loss is pretty slow. So does that means I'm burning lesser calories? Or is my exercise not effective enough? But the exercise calories I burn is the almost the same. Please tell me. I'm quite sad with my doc's reaction. She knows I'm getting hypothyroid medicine from her and I'm trying my level best to lose more weight but IT TAKES MORE TIME!!!

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    exercise should make you out of breath in my opinion
  • elizson
    Options
    exercise should make you out of breath in my opinion

^This^
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Let's see... you're food intake has tons to do with your weight loss. It's a simple matter of burning more calories than you consume.
    Walkng a brisk walk for 30 minutes will burn less calories than a High Intense cardio session for the same amount of time.
    For example, I just did a 30 minute weight lifting workout and burned about 225 calories. It's a P90X workout so it's pretty intense. If I run for the same 30 minutes I'll burn about 400 calories. However, neither will do much if I over eat my calories.
    Your goal should be around 1 lb per week loss. To do that you need a 3500 caloric deficit. I would suggest you educate yourself by reading lots. Good luck and if you have any questions you can send me a freind request.
  • flipsit
    flipsit Posts: 111
    Options
    Longer, less intensive exercise can still work and is great for improving fitness but try and bump your heart rate up at regular intervals as you go. If you're walking then do your normal pace for a couple of minutes then walk faster for a minute then back to normal pace. Repeat throughout your walk. The same goes for other activities. I swim, and on the advice of a fitness trainer, am swimming every 4th length at flat out pace (I'm still a slow swimmer but am pushing myself as hard as I can). I can still swim my 40 lengths but have worked in some more intensive burns within it. I can feel the difference in my legs afterwards.

Best wishes for your journey. x
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Last night (this morning technically) I went to the gym and rode one of the stationary bikes, the kind where you kinda sit back with arm rests :D). Its the first time I have ever used one, and in the modes I found a heart rate mode. It slowly increases your level to raise your heart rate from your min, to your max (mine went from 119 to 159). This was great because it allowed me to work hard for half the time, really hard only part of the time, then the breaks were awesome :D This way, you don't have to fight as hard the whole time, and it will get your body (and you) to start adjusting to the higher heart rate range. When I exercise, I find during any cardio I am at least 140, which I reach fairly quickly. Try new things, or spurts so you can do lower heart rate breaks :D
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady and you will keep it off forever. If you do something you will not be able to keep up forever, I don't think it is worth it I have lost all the weight I wanted without exercise. I know I would not keep it up so I choose to go with fewer calories and it has worked for me. Everyone is different. I would like to know how many people keep up their exercise routine for long term or is it until they meet their goals? What happens when they stop? How many people bought gym memberships and never use them? I have many times that's why I know now, it's not for me. I guess I'm just too lazy or too old to be bothered. :flowerforyou:
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    You may find this link useful: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/busting-the-great-myths-of-fat-burning.html

Don't be offended by the "dummies" reference. It's for anyone... and good information is worth repeating.

Basically it comes down to this: If you want to burn more calories, work out longer. If you want, add 5 min to your walk or cardio workout. Just do small increments of change so that you dont get overwhelmed with the idea of increasing and do nothing at all. The intensity of your cardio has little do with the amount of calories you are burning. Yes, higher intensity cardio does burn more but not that much more.