Heel Problems

Options
I have loved to exercise for years, but I have always avoided running. I never liked it much because I feel like I "plod" instead of run. So, I got my ipod all set with some tunes that get me running and I feel better about it. I have been able to make it all the way around the lake where I live (which is about 3. miles). HOWEVER, if I go for a run in the morning, by afternoon my heel is throbbing horribly. :sad: I Have iced it and taken my anti-inflammatory pills, but it is still bothersome. Anyone have any home remedies that help??? Thanks!

Replies

• time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I have loved to exercise for years, but I have always avoided running. I never liked it much because I feel like I "plod" instead of run. So, I got my ipod all set with some tunes that get me running and I feel better about it. I have been able to make it all the way around the lake where I live (which is about 3. miles). HOWEVER, if I go for a run in the morning, by afternoon my heel is throbbing horribly. :sad: I Have iced it and taken my anti-inflammatory pills, but it is still bothersome. Anyone have any home remedies that help??? Thanks!
  • christahollis
    Options
    Your heel problem could be a problem with your stride. If you're striking the ground with your heel first...you're going to cause a lot of pain and irritation with the repetition of that motion. Most websites suggest running 'flat footed' making sure that the entire foot contacts the ground at the same moment. So try paying close attention to your stride and see if that helps.
    It could also be your shoes...you can only get a good three to five months out of a pair of running shoes if you run in them daily. So you might not have enough support in the heel cup to keep your comfortable. Insoles can sometimes make a world of difference...or just get new shoes.
    Sometimes the foot pain is a function of carrying extra weight...more weight on the foot, more stress, and more pain. As you drop weight, this problem can seem to magically disappear.
    Fixing your pain also depends on where your pain is...like the bottom of the heel (which could be solved by the above ideas)...or if it's like the achilles tendon area, it could be an old injury or the need to stretch carefully before you run.

I'm a runner too, and have had some very painful setbacks...foot pain (solved by shoes) as well as shin splints (solved by ankle extension and flexion exercises, insoles, and reducing mileage).
  • jill
    jill Posts: 11
    Options
    I have had "plantar faciitis" in my feet, and had to get orthotics. They have completely solved the problem. Before that I could barely walk. Just my 2 cents!
  • time2wrk
    Options
    Thank you both. I do have orthotics and they used to help for step class, but I am thinking it is my stride. I tend to run on my toes (years of ballet as a kid!). I will make a concerted effort to place my whole foot down when running and see if that helps. Thank you!
    :smile:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you are a toe runner, the heel shouldn't be a problem. Is the pain in the bottom (on the surface or does it feel deeper), one of the sides under the malleolus (the bones that stick out on the sides) or on the back near the achilles?

If it is truly in the heel, you could have bone spurs, a fat pad contusion, or any other number of conditions. Shoot me an e-mail about the specifics: when does the pain start, how long does it last, do everyday activities re-create it, how would you describe it (throbbing, stabbing, dull ache, etc). I'm a collegiate athletic trainer so I do this for a living! (Just so you don't think I'm a know-it-all nutjob!)
  • time2wrk
    Options
    It is a throb on the bottom of the heel. I actually do have a bone spur on my other foot that was irritating my achilles, but as long as I do my physical therapy exercises to limber up the tendon, it seems to do fine. The "fat pad" best describes where it hurts, toward the front of the pad at the middle of the foot. Once in a while it will kind of flare up and "burn" for a few moments, too.

Wow, am I glad you are on this website! Thanks for any insight you can give me!:happy:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    PLANTAR FACSITIS!!!!!

You are not the only one and the pain can be excrutiating. First, quit running or walking on the treadmill for awhile, find another cardio to do. Stretch your heal by sitting or laying on the floor and stretch your leg out and make your toes point to you.

What this pain is...the tendon that goes from your calf to your foot (achilles), gets tightened with rest and when you become active the tendon pulls. IF you don't rest it can lead to heal spurs, which can only be removed surgically.

All the women in my family have this. There are a lot of "help" items out there.
    Consider adding orthodics to your shoes, even the ones from walmart or target will help.
    There is an ace bandage (walmart) that only fits over the middle of your foot to help keep the arch up and in doing so keeps the tendon stretched out and ready to go (I sleep with these so I don't have the pain in the morning).
    There is a really funny looking brace that you can buy at most stores (I got mine at target). This brace has one end that fits over the ball of your foot and the other end fits below the knee and when tightened it forces your foot to stay flexed. I use this when it is really bad.

Also, ice your foot after all exercise! The only pill that has helped eliviate the "swelling" was discovered by accident when dr. gave me a steriod for my inflamed sinuses, but my foot felt awesome.

IT's hard because I love running or at least walking but that puts the most impact on that area and I find that riding the bike for awhile or roller blading helps my heal get better and then I slowly add running. It can take up to a year to find what is going to work for you. Go online and type it in and you will also find there are exercises to help strengthen the tendon and foot muscles to avoid this, they are weird but they work.

Good luck, better to ease up than to be out for 3 months or so from surgery. Take care of yourself!
  • time2wrk
    Options
    THank you, mnbarnum!
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Good call; definitely sounds like plantar fascitis. The plantar fascia attaches to the most anterior portion of the calcaneus (heel bone) and runs to the metatarsals (just shy of toes). The best thing to do is replace the orthotics you currently have if they are worn (I think you said you had them) and begin an anti-inflammatory regimen. Could still be arch issues, but would tx similarly as I will describe:

1.) Our team Ortho prefers aleeve (2 in am, 2 in pm) for about a week. It will take a few days to build up the serum level, so don't give up.
    2.) In order to pre-treat, make some ice massage cups. We use gatorade cups, but medium sized dixie cups would work too. Fill 3/4 of the way and freeze. You can even stir in some flex-all, biofreeze, bengay, etc. for added treatment. Peel back so that about an inch of ice is exposed, place a towel under you foot, pull back your big toe so that you see the plantar fascia "pop up" and massage for 5-7 minutes. It WILL be painful to begin. You should use the edge to apply some friction so you're not just swirling the ice around. You wll be able to feel the ice massage bump and skip over the pf. Do this immediately prior to exercise (the less time it has to thaw out, the better).
    3.) After exercise, strech again and place an ice bag/pack on it for 20 minutes.

Stretching is the key to relief in the long run. Night splints are terribly awkward and most patients are non-compliant with them, so I wouldn't waste the money. In addition to stretching your gastroc & soleus muscles that comprise the superficial "calf' you need to stretch the other foot/toe flexors that are the deep calf (tibials posterior, plantaris, flexor hallicus & digitorum). Pull your toes back while stretching the calf. When you pull your big toe back, I would bet it lights you up like someone sticking a hot knife in the spot that is painful! If so, 100% PF!

Do this for a week and let me know the results. It is possible you could have more damage than just inflammation. If it works, you're golden! Also, I'm giving you medical/anatomical jargon so that you know what to look for if researching on your own, my intentions are not to insult or confuse anyone, I am an educator. I hate belittling!:happy: Good luck!