Calories to low?

Options
So I went to see my Doctor yesterday and I discussed with him my desire to lose 5 more lbs. I explained to him that I had not lost anything in over a month and that I maintain a strict caloric intake in the 1200-1300 range with daily exercise. He told me I am not eating enough that I should be taking in at least 1500 calories MFP recommends 1200 calories with no exercise . He also told me my Cholesterol was excellent that my Vit D was the best he'd ever seen woo woo!! I was pleased to here that. But I am confused on the calorie thing. Any words of wisdom or thoughts??

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    trust the doctor is my words of wisdom, people on here only give you thier opinion, up to you whether you take advice from them, but when a doctor tells you something I guess you should listen
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm of the mindset that doctors trump MFP with their expertise. He knows more about you than just numbers you've put into a computer program that apply to thousands of people.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not eating enough based on your diary. Eating so few calories and not eating back exercise calories is a surefire way to have weight loss stall.
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    I have found that when my weight loss slows down/stops to up my calories by 100. Esp. on the days you exercise... You need to have at least 100-200 more calories. Seems to work. As your body gets more fit it just needs more to run off of. You've gotta fuel it to do all that exercise!
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    MFP and your doctor are saying the same thing. You should log your exercise and eat back those calories. You will be following the plan and your doctors advice.
  • Mary572
    Options
    Your calories are probably too low with exercising. I would suggest going to www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81 and go down to "The Math of MFP - Calorie Mathimatica" and it will hep explain why your calories are too low. I hope it helps.
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    eat more :wink:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,712 Member
    Options
    MFP and your doctor are saying the same thing. You should log your exercise and eat back those calories. You will be following the plan and your doctors advice.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. :smile:
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If what you are currently doing is not currently working, trying the doctor's advice can't hurt.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Took the words right out of my mouth. :smile:

^^This
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Double-check the calculations. Your maintain w/o excercise should be around 1500.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I would definitely up the cals for a while and see if that works. Or just eat back most of your exercise calories. Your net seems really low most days. I eat back almost all of my exercise calories most days and lose weight just fine. I also eat 1800 calories a day (plus exercise calories) but I know I weigh more than you do...but just throwing that out there since it is possible to eat a lot of cals and still lose weight.
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I 'm going to up my calories today. I think tricking my body will help up today down tomorrow but I'll stay in a healthy range and take a day off from exercise now and again. I just want to get 5 more lbs off.