Database deranged

Options
I have just added two cups of coffee with milk & two sugars each and the sugar track says zero, I give in!

Replies

• Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    check different items in the database. Some are not correct, others are.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options

Not a lot of good for folks who blindly add food and think they are O.K.!
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It is a user submitted database. There are always going to be errors with that sort of database. That's why you should always check them. The biggest error I find is the sodium. Here in the UK food packages list sodium in grams, whereas this site lists it in milligrams (I assume that is because US food packets list it in mg). Many people just put in the gram value without converting it to milligrams. I just correct it and then log it. I'm not even personally that bothered about the sodium I consume, I'm mostly worried about calories, but I do it for the benefit of other people.

Maybe there should be some sort of notice for new users when they first log food that says something like "this is a user submitted database and cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Please check the labels of your food to ensure it is fully accurate". That would make it really clear to people that it's not necessarily 100% correct.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

Then they should take a bit of self-responsibility and actually move their eyes an inch to check.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have just added two cups of coffee with milk & two sugars each and the sugar track says zero, I give in!

I noticed the same thing yesterday. So I hunted down an entry that was actually correct. Sucks I know! I'm glad I noticed it.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options

Then they should take a bit of self-responsibility and actually move their eyes an inch to check.

Some people don't have the knowledge to know if it is correct or not, is there no facility of user verification?
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    That's why I always double check. Or edit them if I can. I saw a footlong turkey sub from subway w/ cheese & light mayo in there for 360 calories...it's actually like 700
  • Matttdvg
    Options

Some people don't have the knowledge to know if it is correct or not, is there no facility of user verification?

Most stuff should be on the back of food packets. Or if it's fresh fruit & veg there are usually plenty of other sources online that will confirm it. The only times it gets tricky is when you're eating out at restaurants or takeaways or stuff like that, in which case the best you're going to be able to get from anyone is an estimate anyway. Otherwise it should be fairly straightforward.

When you add food to your diary it says "member submitted, X confirmations" under the food name to tell you how many other users have confirmed it.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options

Most stuff should be on the back of food packets. Or if it's fresh fruit & veg there are usually plenty of other sources online that will confirm it. The only times it gets tricky is when you're eating out at restaurants or takeaways or stuff like that, in which case the best you're going to be able to get from anyone is an estimate anyway. Otherwise it should be fairly straightforward.

When you add food to your diary it says "member submitted, X confirmations" under the food name to tell you how many other users have confirmed it.

How do you edit or confirm a listing?
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    always double check the label if you dont have one look for other calorie counting sites this is another one i trust...once you get the correct info save it for yourself.

http://www.calorieking.com/
  • Matttdvg
    Options

When you're adding an item of food there is a "nutritional info" link that will give you a list of the nutritional information of the food. On there there it asks you if the information is correct or not. Clicking yes adds a confirmation, clicking no gives you the option to edit it.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options

When you're adding an item of food there is a "nutritional info" link that will give you a list of the nutritional information of the food. On there there it asks you if the information is correct or not. Clicking yes adds a confirmation, clicking no gives you the option to edit it.

Thanks for that, Should'ave gone to Specsavers! I'll blame it on blue font on blue background ;-)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think that people on here are trying for weight loss. I would also like to think that these people check their food labels.

Really, this site is a tool, tools still take a bit of effort to use...
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Do you make your own coffee? I'm a big tea drinker, and I always measure out and add all of the components separately. That way there's less room for error :smile:
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    Do you make your own coffee? I'm a big tea drinker, and I always measure out and add all of the components separately. That way there's less room for error :smile:

I personaly don't have a problem working out values in foods, I just thought a lot of people will add something from the database and just take all the numbers as gospel, I probably did not scrutineer as closely as I should, but after putting sugar in a coffee, (1st for weeks) I just noticed the sugar content was noticable by it's absence, I don't usually moniter sugar as I am always well under.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    It is a user submitted database. There are always going to be errors with that sort of database. That's why you should always check them. The biggest error I find is the sodium. Here in the UK food packages list sodium in grams, whereas this site lists it in milligrams (I assume that is because US food packets list it in mg). Many people just put in the gram value without converting it to milligrams. I just correct it and then log it. I'm not even personally that bothered about the sodium I consume, I'm mostly worried about calories, but I do it for the benefit of other people.

Maybe there should be some sort of notice for new users when they first log food that says something like "this is a user submitted database and cannot be guaranteed to be correct. Please check the labels of your food to ensure it is fully accurate". That would make it really clear to people that it's not necessarily 100% correct.

There is exactly that disclaimer if people read the Terms of the site:
    7. FOOD DATABASE AND NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

MyFitnessPal’s food database contains a combination of nutritional information entered directly by MyFitnessPal and nutritional information entered by MyFitnessPal members (“Food Database”). Any MyFitnessPal member can contribute nutritional information to the Food Database, as well as edit existing nutritional information. Please be advised that nutritional information found in MyFitnessPal’s Food Database has not been reviewed by persons with the expertise required to provide You with complete, accurate, or reliable information. MYFITNESSPAL DOES NOT (I) GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS OF ANY NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION IN THE FOOD DATABASE; OR (II) ADOPT, ENDORSE OR ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY SUCH NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL MYFITNESSPAL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM YOUR RELIANCE ON NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information in the Food Database is accurate, complete and useful.
  • baldchocnsexy
    Options
    Yes, the other forum members are correct. Diligently check and double-check entries. In some cases it just requires READING the nutrition info on the back of the package, and becoming a contributor.