Sugars & Fruits?

Options
Okay so I am really confuseed and wondered if you guys could help me. I know that sugars are BAD but are Fruit Sugars bad? I hear that all sugars are bad but I have also heard that fruit sugars are okay to go over on as they are GOOD sugars? I just dont know whats right??? Also Fruit appears to contain loads of Carbs - Are they good carbs too? xxx

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I want to know this too!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. The sugar in fruit is the same sugars as anywhere else. Sucrose, fructose, and glucose are still sucrose, fructose and glucose, no matter where you get it from. The only difference is fruit has vitamins, and has some fiber, which can change the away the sugar is absorbed, but eating "bad sugars" with fiber would have the same effect. Sugar is sugar.
  • emandbensmom
    Options
    I often wonder this as well. I always go way over on sugar, but almost all of it comes from whole fruits such as strawberries, oranges, grapes, and peaches.
  • daves160
    Options
    Sugars are necessary. You just want to keep them in balance, what ever that may be. Natural sugars are ALWAYS better that processed ones.
    I guess what you want to do is get good medical advice on how much sugars YOU should be eating. There are several factors that may sway that, diabetics know this all too well.
  • 23wife
    23wife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree- sugar is sugar. Although fruit and/or organic cane sugar is easier on your system than processed white sugar or HFCS. Fruit is good for you in moderation but you always want to be aware of the sugar/carb content of fruit. For example; bananas, melons, grapes, mangos, etc are very high in sugars and carbs. Apples, raspberries, blueberries are lower. So choose wisely! You can find full guides online. Good luck! =)
  • FitterSlimMe
    FitterSlimMe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fructose is seemingly not good for us, but the fibre in fruit helps to eliminate is. There is an interesting video on youtube, called Sugar: the bitter truth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    It is long but worth watching. It opened my eyes and made it much easier for me to stop being addicted to the stuff. Also I check food labels now for added fructose, I don't buy those items any more.