The power of music

Options
My boyfriend got me an Ipod Nano for christmas (nice upgrade from the shuffle) and an arm band holder for it. So today for the first time I wore it while I was riding my stationary bike. I rode faster and longer than usual because the music pumped me up so much. When the weather gets nice again and I ride outside I would love to wear it to pump up my rides some, but I am worried that this would be unsafe.

Regardless I am always aware of my surroundings and I periodically check over my shoulder, always slow down at intersections and look all ways, but I am still concerned that with headphones on I wouldn't hear cars if I needed to. I also ride on a rode where a lot of bikers ride, so it's pretty safe car wise because I'm on a wide shoulder and there aren't many intersections, but I am a very ametuer rider compared to most of the bikers there so I want to make sure I know when anyone is behind me wanting to get by. Should I just wear one ear bud in so I still have my other ear free to hear anything I need to?

Does anyone else listen to music while working out outside?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend got me an Ipod Nano for christmas (nice upgrade from the shuffle) and an arm band holder for it. So today for the first time I wore it while I was riding my stationary bike. I rode faster and longer than usual because the music pumped me up so much. When the weather gets nice again and I ride outside I would love to wear it to pump up my rides some, but I am worried that this would be unsafe.

Regardless I am always aware of my surroundings and I periodically check over my shoulder, always slow down at intersections and look all ways, but I am still concerned that with headphones on I wouldn't hear cars if I needed to. I also ride on a rode where a lot of bikers ride, so it's pretty safe car wise because I'm on a wide shoulder and there aren't many intersections, but I am a very ametuer rider compared to most of the bikers there so I want to make sure I know when anyone is behind me wanting to get by. Should I just wear one ear bud in so I still have my other ear free to hear anything I need to?

Does anyone else listen to music while working out outside?
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I refuse to watch those silly little TVs they put on exercise equipment now. I want my music! I really love it. On the days when I get into whatever I am listening to, I definitely have a way better workout and leave feeling refreshed.

Wearing the ipod while biking worries me a little bit. I don't bike, but I used to wear it on walks around a busy college campus and occasionally realized I was missing some cues that I needed to hear. If you do want to wear it, keep the volume really low so you can hear the cars, too.
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    I ride my bike outside almost daily and I won't ride unless I have my ipod on me. I usually only put one ear bud when I'm riding w/traffic. When I'm strictly on the trails (we have a ton here in Eugene, OR), I use both, but keep the volume down and follow traffic rules ... staying to the right, signal when turning, letting people know I'm going to pass them, etc.

When I run, I use both ear buds, but I stick to the trails and to the right.